Why become a member? ×

Best cabs to go with a 4x8, Another 4x8 or a 1x15

AsterL

So I just bought a Ashdown MIni 48 and I couldn't be happier with it! Its exactly the sound I was expecting and hoping for.
What do other player who have this cab or similar use it with, another 4x8 or a 115?

Ashdown did both as a matched set and I'm trying to find either, but which would be better for a even tone and a tad better handling of the lowest notes?

Get another 4x8. The "techie speak" advises this for all sorts of things I don`t understand, but for me there is one main reason for having two of the same cab, for rehearsals/small gigs, use just the one cab, bigger gigs drag out the second, no need to re-eq, the same sound, just bigger and better. Adding another of the same cab makes a big difference - my 1x12 combo sounds like a different rig with the 1x12 ext cab, same sound obviously but the difference in the depth of sound is amazing.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381094141' post='2234368']
If you like the tone of it, get another for louder, and more low from coupling. If you don't like the tone, trade it in for another cab you do like. Mixing cabs is unpredictable.
[/quote]
Pretty much this, although it's worth pointing out that some cab manufactures do actually bother checking that different cabs in the same series work with each other. Whether you'll like that sound is a different matter - if you really love the 4x8 get another.

Thank you all for your input!

I thought another 4x8 would sound good, thats the concenus it seems.
I've never played a rig with mixed speakers, so not sure what to think about mixing. I have herad some people say its not a brilliant idea, but then companies seem to reccomend it. Interesting...

I would love another 48 preferably, but I'd probably still take a 115 mini if anyone has one.
Should you know anyone who has one, Pm me or get them to post in my wanted thread here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218879-ashdown-abm-mini-15s-or-48s/page__p__2233186#entry2233186"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/218879-ashdown-abm-mini-15s-or-48s/page__p__2233186#entry2233186[/url] :) Again preferably one with the Ashdown ones with the curvy handles!!!

I happily mixed Mesa Boogie EV 15's and 10's for years, and Bergantino 12's and 10's. Don't be afraid to experiment to find the sound you prefer.

I think Ashdown cabs have less definition so I'd go for the smaller speakers, to get more punch and clarity out of the notes.

Something for you to think about, a 115 Barefaced Compact would knock the spots off a 2 4x8 Ashdown rig. Lately there have been a few of them coming up in the FS section.