Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cabs, pricing issues??

bridge

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1380637225' post='2228236']
Who cares about bass cabs when you have a Porsche?!

Just make someone else take the cab.
[/quote]
Was there not a small Ashdown cab a few years ago, called the Boxster because it was designed to fit the boot of one? This was in the early days of Ashdown of course, when they were still more of a premium brand...

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1380544495' post='2226754']
I've noticed there is a camp of Barefaced haters on here, they are definitely in a minority and I cannot say whether it's a justified opinion or not - who knows what experience these people have had (I notice they are being quiet on the subject presently).
[/quote]

Who are these mysterious BF haters ? I am a regular here and all I see on any BF thread is a bunch of people replying how wonderful they are, [generally ignoring any OP's questions] and being hyper, hyper-sensitive to any perceived criticisms of the brand.

note ... the bracketed part is probably not particularly fair but does seem to be partially true.

For the record I am neither a hater nor a lover. I have not tried one. Would like to one day, I guess.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1380697139' post='2228936']For the record I am neither a hater nor a lover. I have not tried one.[/quote]

Therefore, surely, your input to such threads is of limited value? :)

That's another thing I notice about BF threads. Loads of people feel it necessary to share their opinions without any relevant experience to back it up (and I am not picking a fight with you here HF, just making generalisations).

All I can say is that since discovering BF products (and I have owned 2 different ones) I would not want to go back to "old school" heavier and larger ones. Other than price, there is absolutely no need to. I get the tones I want and far more volume than I need from a smaller, lighter package.

I agree with some of the comments about the look of the BF range, but then again they do have a quirky originality that is somehow very "British" (IMO). And as someone else said, once you start playing your back is to your gear anyway. And despite what we might think (or fear), very few punters even look at the bass player, never mind their amplification set-up! :lol:

Back on topic though, I am not convinced that the arrival of g3 will see a drop in prices of the older ranges. At the end of the day these are niche products, made in small quantities. Demand far outstrips supply (as shown by the long wait times). Added to that, most people who buy a BF product tend to only change (or upgrade) to another BF product - keeping waiting times long, but ensuring a constant trickle of the cabs on the used market. I bought (or traded) both of my BF cabs used. As long as the previous owner took care of them this can actually be an advantage as the speakers are properly "broken in".

It's all good :)

I'm not a Barefaced hater either but whenever I make a comment or ask a question about them some people react as if I've pissed on their kids !!
It's a good job us ashdown users are not so touchy....seriously though , some people need to relax a bit and stop being overly sensitive to a brand of speaker cabs that they use.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1380699002' post='2228965'] I agree with some of the comments about the look of the BF range, but then again they do have a quirky originality that is somehow very "British" (IMO). And as someone else said, once you start playing your back is to your gear anyway. And despite what we might think (or fear), very few punters even look at the bass player, never mind their amplification set-up! :lol:

[/quote]

Some of us are terribly vain I'm afraid.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1380702922' post='2229038']

Some of us are terribly vain I'm afraid.
[/quote]

I guess I'm vain too in that I couldn't be happy paying for and regularly playing something that I see to be ugly. Luckily, I love the look of the '69er; no visible ports, and a lovely silver cloth grill. I don't really have an issue with the painted finish.
The only BF cab I really dislike the look of is the one with the big baffle across the driver holding a tweeter. It just looks odd to me.

Btw, I think that the thread title is a bit misleading - not pricing issues as such, just a query on Barefaced resale values. Unless the 'issue' is that they can't afford one, in which case I have big 'issues' with Ritter and Celinder :-D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1380703496' post='2229055']
I guess I'm vain too in that I couldn't be happy paying for and regularly playing something that I see to be ugly. Luckily, I love the look of the '69er; no visible ports, and a lovely silver cloth grill. I don't really have an issue with the painted finish.
The only BF cab I really dislike the look of is the one with the big baffle across the driver holding a tweeter. It just looks odd to me.

[/quote]

I'm definitely vain and happy to admit it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1380703496' post='2229055']

Btw, I think that the thread title is a bit misleading - not pricing issues as such, just a query on Barefaced resale values. Unless the 'issue' is that they can't afford one, in which case I have big 'issues' with Ritter and Celinder :-D
[/quote]

Yeh, sorry guys, title is misleading! does this mean I am now banned from the BF lovers club, or will I be strapped to an amp and beaten with a stick? (not the first one please, only just bought my compact!!)

Edited by bridge

[quote name='bridge' timestamp='1380704766' post='2229094']

Yeh, sorry guys, title is misleading! does this mean I am now banned from the BF lovers club, or will I be strapped to an amp and beaten with a stick? (not the first one please, only just bought my compact!!)
[/quote]

:-D

When I first saw it, I was expecting something more scandalous* :-D

*The little lawyer on my shoulder told me to write the following statement: "I have no grounds to believe that Barefaced, or any of their employees would actually do anything even remotely scandalous"

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1380699002' post='2228965']
Therefore, surely, your input to such threads is of limited value? :)
[/quote]

If it were a thread about the tone/quality etc etc of BF cabs then yes, and I would never offer an opinion about them as I have no experience. But then actually ... No, because this thread is/was supposed to be about the market and pricing etc.

Just pi$$es me off a tiny little bit when every thread mentioning BF cabs in any way turns into a Fanclub Lovefest Event about how awesome they are and how dare anyone criticise them.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1380709547' post='2229198']
Just pi$$es me off a tiny little bit when every thread mentioning BF cabs in any way turns into a Fanclub Lovefest Event about how awesome they are and how dare anyone criticise them.
[/quote]

It is getting tiring. Hence the very heated debates.

[/quote]

I'll remind you of this when you've got one, then come on here ranting about how awesome it is.
You certainly won't want anyone to criticise it. :D

[/quote]

I'm looking forward to joining that party once mine is made :P