Why become a member? ×

smoke and your gear

lownote

I just bought an otherwise lovelyTC BC210 bass cab from another BC'er. I say 'otherwise' because he admits the cab was kept in a room with two smokers. And boy does it honk. Speaking as an ex-30 a day man, with an ex-smoker missus, you'd think we'd be tolerant but the stink just pervaded the house. So out it went to the barn, where it spent several days in the sun and wind. Still honked. So i washed the cab (not ther speakers, capiche) with mild soap. Then I treated it with Frebreeze. Then I washed it with detergent. Then treated it with AutoGlym Autofresh. Then I washed it in water and car body detergent. Know what? It still honked. Much less so, but it still gives off a puff of evil, especially if I play the low B.

Next time you see an advert claiming an item to be from a 'pet and smoke free home' don't laugh. it really is an issue, unless you're smoker.

Edited by lownote12

Even if you are a smoker (although I don't smoke in the house) bringing gear in that has previously occupied the home of a smoker is horrendous.

I bought a line 6 amp from an older chap who smoked heavily and that absolutely reaked. The way I got rid of the smell was to use a product called "Caravan Cleaner". I don't know what is in it but it's safe to use on anything and cleans any form of dirt/stain from every surface.

I'm not sure where the wife buys it from, possibly aldi, but I'll ask her when she comes home and repost just incase anyone is interested in trying it.

Baking soda, or Bi-Carbonate of soda is a deodorant. (Try to find it in the washing isle in Tesco or similar) Mix a small cupful into a paste in a small dish by adding small drops of water, then when you've a soft, wet paste add it to a larger amount of water. Doing it this way avoids getting a lumpy mess like lumpy gravy.

Then use that to wash the cab over. Sadly the things that are most likely to have absorbed it are the soft things - like any fabric front, the leatherette outside and the speakers "cardboard". I know, you didn't want to hear that.

Useful link - [url="http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/bicarb_of_soda.htm"]http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/bicarb_of_soda.htm[/url]

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1380377889' post='2224494']
I just bought an otherwise lovelyTC BC210 bass cab from another BC'er. I say 'otherwise' because he admits the cab was kept in a room with two smokers. And boy does it honk. Speaking as an ex-30 a day man, with an ex-smoker missus, you'd think we'd be tolerant but the stink just pervaded the house. So out it went to the barn, where it spent several days in the sun and wind. Still honked. So i washed the cab (not ther speakers, capiche) with mild soap. Then I treated it with Frebreeze. Then I washed it with detergent. Then treated it with AutoGlym Autofresh. Then I washed it in water and car body detergent. Know what? It still honked. Just ever so slightly less.

Next time you see an advert claiming an item to be from a 'pet and smoke free home' don't laugh. it really is an issue, unless you're smoker.
[/quote]

All this cleaning, could be the start of a soap opera.

Our house always smelt of stale cigarette smoke the day after a gig, curtesy of the gear. Thank God for the smoking ban.

On a side note, I met up with an old friend (a singer) in the week. He was a heavy smoker for 40 years; doesn't get out much these days, he's dying of lung cancer.

Such a pointless way to die.

I sold a hard case I had bought it second hand and the buyer complained it stank of smoke. Now I'm a smoker but don't smoke in the house or when gigging or in our rehearsal space so really struggled to see how it was me, the previous owner though did smoke.

Proves quite how long that smell lingers...

In my experience smokers rarely understand how the smell lingers. I guess their sense of smell becomes seriously impaired. I've been to gigs where all the smokers go outside to smoke but when they come back inside the smell can be overpowering when they're chatting away in the close proximity of a crowded pub. Then, when I get home Mrs FF immediately comments about the smell of smoke in my hair.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380450139' post='2225309']
In my experience smokers rarely understand how the smell lingers.
[/quote]

I haven't smoked for 18 months and am now astonished at how bad smokers smell. So basically I stank for thirty-eight years. It's all relative though - people in Tudor times reeked like festering tramps - but so did everyone else at the time, so it was unremarkable.