Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF800 & PF 115HE Cab (Opinions, thoughts...words of wisdom)

Raslee

Meh! I'm in an amp crisis at the moment. My trusty Orange TB died and is currently with Orange. My back up Eden Nemesis NA650 has started to cut out lots and make a horrible distorted noise and then slowly come back on again after a short while - rather embarrassing at a recent wedding gig. Have opened the Eden, nothing obvious that i.can see though - shame as i love this amp for my reggae stuff too.

....and soooo after long consultation with the Mrs and the pending arrival of my university bursary, wifey agree's that i can get a new amp-so one must act quick whilst her iron is hot. After doing some research, knowing the sound i like, I've finally arrived at the Ampeg PF800. I will be using it with a reggae/dub band and also a soul/funk band. I like a warm vintage type sound and have a preference for the 800watts due to the rather loud sound system situations i can end up in with the dub band (nice to have the head room too).

I'm also considering the PF 15" cab to go with it too and sell off my Hartke 4x10XL (i love my Hartke but my back doesn't)...plus i think i'm more of a 15" guy...ahem! I will of course still keep my OTB and perhaps operate further on the Eden but I think an Ampegs on the cards ;)

Thoughts, opinions etc :)

That cab will not handle dub/reggae. Trust me.

I would opt for a Genz Streamliner 900, cut the treble, boost the bass, have the mids at whatever you like, and get something like a TKS 12/6 (x2), (I've got one on loan) or a BF cab designed for HUGE bass.

The TKS I have on loan is effortless in the low end. Absolutely slams a low B and sounds beautiful for really low bass.

The Ampeg cab isn't really designed to handle those low transients. It will, and it'll sound ok, but it won't feel big. However with the PF800 I fear you may blow the cab.

Get a high end cab and a decent high powered micro (I don't trust Ampeg's latest PF amps one bit) and you are good to go.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1379931960' post='2218287']
With you on the PF800, but possibly you may like to consider a Barefaced Dubster instead of the PortaFlex? :)

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/dubster.htm"]http://barefacedbass...nge/dubster.htm[/url]
[/quote]

I've past owned a Dubster, great cab...then the same band folded so i swapped it for something more generic (another Barefaced in fact). It was a great cab indeed, but i need some thing a bit more generic. My favorite cab to date was a 6x10 Warwick but again i'm not sure my back did.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1379935042' post='2218343']
cab.

Get a high end cab and a decent high powered micro (I don't trust Ampeg's latest PF amps one bit) and you are good to go.
[/quote]
I trust your point on the 15" cab...i may well reconsider something different. Regards the PF issues, yeah I've read the stories...yet i would hope those issues are sorted by now. Not heard so many horror stories with the 800 as per the 500 though :)

I went the PF800 route about two months ago and have been pretty happy with the result, and have experienced no issues whatsoever with the amp. It's mostly used in rehearsals but I do have two gigs next week, so we'll see how well it does in that context. I'm also now looking for a good cab to go with it, and I've been considering the PF410HLF. I'm looking forward to hearing other opinions here before I make the decision. Edit: This is my first post, I'm happy to have found this site!

Edited by rocksmoot

Welcome to the forum. I had a PF500 with the PF410HLF and the sound was great. Unfortunately for me, the cab was too heavy as I both live on a top floor flat, and have a bad back. But if your back is ok, I`d recommend it in a heartbeat, as it`s not overly heavy for a 410, has great Ampeg tones, and looks nice and retro as well.

I play in a funk, soul, motown band and use a PF800 with a Portaflex 2x10 for most gigs and rehearsals and then add a Portaflex 1 x 15 if I need both cabs.
Personally, I think it sounds fantastic for everything. I play disco, reggae and all other styles through it. It has never caused me an issue ( I had a PF500 beforehand) and it's cured all forms of amp GAS.
For the reggae numbers, I just play up the neck on my Jazz to get that thump and this rig does the job.

I have a PF500 and used it with Rastas old 410hlf,an svt115 and an svt410 and combinations thereof and all of it sounds just fine and the amp has been very reliable over 40 gigs.
However. Seeing as Rasta is obviously looking for lighter and smaller than any of the above...
Tough one getting loud dub tones out of anything less than a 2x15,depends on how loud I suppose?
I'd go try the PF cabs somewhere and see if they'll keep that tone at the volume you need.
Can't see it out of one cab though.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1380098478' post='2220643']
I have a PF500 and used it with Rastas old 410hlf,an svt115 and an svt410 and combinations thereof and all of it sounds just fine and the amp has been very reliable over 40 gigs.
However. Seeing as Rasta is obviously looking for lighter and smaller than any of the above...
Tough one getting loud dub tones out of anything less than a 2x15,depends on how loud I suppose?
I'd go try the PF cabs somewhere and see if they'll keep that tone at the volume you need.
Can't see it out of one cab though.
[/quote]
Good to hear the ol' HLF s going strong matey, great cabs them. Funny enough the reggae guys that i used those SVT's with (i had 2 at the time) have got back together and wanting to do stuff again :rolleyes: ...so full circle gear wise again (still hankering for a cheap Warwick 6x10...favourite dub cab to date!!!). However, I've got a few cabs already so i can make a combination of most set ups but i'm thinking whilst wifey is feeling passive i must get something sharpish...she can change her mind very quickly.

Ironically i think I've fixed my Eden Nemesis today which i love that amp for my reggae sound and also Mansons informed me that my Orange Terror bass has been fixed and i can collect it soon - not sure if i'm to be charged yet.

Still....wifey doesn't need to know all this :ph34r: ...I am mainly thinking the Ampeg will be for my Motown/Funk band now, well definitely the cab anyhow...i probably won't high mileage it with dub on the clock :lol: - just wish this uni bursary would come through before the boss changes her mind!!! :gas:

• 6 months later...

I have one of Rastas 2 x 10 cabs - started off as a GK BLX cab but now has two Eminence Delta 10 350W 8 Ohm 10" drivers = 700W at 4ohms. Oooof! What a cab - clear, smooth, rich lows with plenty of sparkly top end. Bit heavy, but some castors have really helped with portability. I'm considering buying a Portaflex PF800 (£488 from Soundslive - bargain) to pair with it for some upcoming outdoor summer foodie festival gigs. Also useful to have a second/backup amp in case my GK MB500 fails. What do we think, folks? Overkill? Just stick with the MB500 and buy something cheap 'n' cheerful as a backup?

Edited by solo4652