Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 3 Pro - your thoughts, ladies and gents?

JapanAxe

I have a Class D all-solid-state head and really like it, but fancy the idea of something from the Ampeg stable with a valve front end and a Mosfet power stage. This of course leads me to consider the SVT 3 Pro, and indeed its predecessor the SVT III Pro.

So, if you own or have owned one, tell your BC chums - what's hot, what's not, what does it excel at, what does it struggle with, can you proudly say 'this is the Ampeg sound', and finally - any epic fails?

Nice amps, sound great, but not the loudest amp around, they need to be pushed. When they are they sound great. Personally the minimum cab I`d put one with would be an efficient 410. I had mine with an Ampeg SVT410 & 210 set-up which all sounded very good together.

As a comparison, I also put my TC Classic 450 through this set-up and volume wise it would be on between 3 & 4, as oppose to the SVT3-PRO on about 6. So really, if you`re in a loud band, make sure your cabs are good - and seeing those BF cabs yours are, so there shouldn`t be a problem.

I used an Ampeg SVT3 PRO for nearly 10 years. I never had any volume issues, or any other problems with mine in that time.

I don't know what an Ampeg sound is but my SVT3 sounded great with Mesa Boogie cabs. It had a warm, full and well defined sound. A good used one is not expensive these days so I'd just by one and see what you think.

I don't know the difference between the US made and Far East made models (mine was US) but I've not seen any reports of issues with these amps, unlike some SVT7 and PF amps.

I EQed mine at mostly at 12 or 1 o'clock and didn't use the faders. I guess I'm on the old fashioned end of the tone scale, but with my Lakland it was a great sounding amp.

I had a 3 pro for around 4 years. Really enjoyed it with the tube gain and master cranked and bringing the gain up to taste.

I ran it with ashdown mag 210 and 115 and it always did the job volume wise. Struggled oncertain in a marquee with a boomy stage, but still had enough in it.

I experienced a fault once but it still ploughed on. I ended up changing for a light weight option, now have an Ashdown and I haven't really missed it. It was my first proper rig and I had a real thing for ampeg at that point.

If ampeg sound is what you're after, it'll do it well. Then again, so does the vt Bass and a power Amp, without the ampeg logo of course!

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Had one for years - never had a problem with it. Just had to change a fuse every few years. Great, solid tone.
Run the master at full and the input volume to taste and you'll have no volume worries. The gain also works in reverse. i.e. 7am being full 'dirty' and 5pm being clean.

SVT3 pro

Love it love it love it.

Had one for about five years now. Bought an Ashdown tube amp (one of the MAGs, I forget which one) from Sounds Live, unpacked it, plugged it in and it emitted some interesting pink smoke, no sound though. Sent it back to them and for an extra £100 they sent me an SVT3 pro.
Never had the slightest problem, apart from a mains fuse once..
I use it with either an Ashdown 2X10 or an Ampeg SVT1510H (genuine SLM) which must be 20 years old. Sometimes both cabs together, so 4 ohms doesn't worry it. Nor does 5 string low B, I play Yamaha TRB5Ps through it.
They are pricey but you get what you pay for.....

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1380023746' post='2219615']
....Recently discovered that the 3 Pro chassis is too deep for my cabs so currently in negotiation over another head via this very forum....
[/quote]

Just let it hang out over the back. Mine did and caused no problems.

I had a SVT3Pro and 410HLF.

The 3Pro's are almost too versatile with the preset's and graphic, I was constantly meddling.

When I got my Barefaced S12, my amp rack was heavier than the cab! but, the 3Pro didn't get on too well with the S12 so, I moved to an Orange TB500.

I'm Ok with a bass, mid, treb, vol and gain amp.

I have not long bought one myself, only had it a few weeks and its only been used at practice. I found that getting the sound you want can be a challenge so its best to avoid the graphic eq to make major changes to your sound, that being said I do use it to tweak my overall sound if required.

A good amp with a very good sound, though I do miss my Ashdown EVOII which seemed to have a bit more character to the sound. You might want to look into getting one of those as well.

Edited by spud19870

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1380110788' post='2220899']
When I got my Barefaced S12, my amp rack was heavier than the cab! but, the 3Pro didn't get on too well with the S12 so, I moved to an Orange TB500.
[/quote]
I can see the benefit of a heavy head on BF cabs - stops them blowing away on open air gigs!

Also had an EVO But don't miss it now I have the TC.

EDIT: Can you explain about the 3Pro and the S12 not hitting it off?

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1380217723' post='2222500']
I can see the benefit of a heavy head on BF cabs - stops them blowing away on open air gigs!

Also had an EVO But don't miss it now I have the TC.

EDIT: Can you explain about the 3Pro and the S12 not hitting it off?
[/quote]

True, everything else needs nailing down though!

It's kinda hard to explain why, I was getting some over-excursion from the drivers with the SVT3 and it all went a bit farty after a while as the volume went up. Nothing wrong with the amp/Nothing wrong with the cab - just weren't best friends - after contacting Alex @ BF he went on about things in a way only Alex can, (my lack of technical knowledge!) and I decided/was convinced to change the amp. Something about a 'Lead Slab' with the all the valves?!?! LOL
With just the preamp valves in the OTB - it's like the amp breathes; and I was a huge Ampeg fan but, the OTB/S12 combination is righteous - I can't see me wanting to change [s]for a very long time[/s] .... [u]EVER!![/u]

A friend of mine who is a pro player with a very good and well-established functions band had an Svt3 and he used it extensively for a couple of years.The sound was fantastic but he sold it because it neede re-valving more often than he had anticipated. He was usually gigging about five nights a week most weeks, and found that particulaly in the winter that the valves were prone to needing replacing .He thought it was because of the warmed- up valves going from a warm environment indoors to being loaded in the van in the cold outside. Whatever the reason , he got an endorsement with another company and sold it. I emphasise , though, that he was using his amp day in and day out as a workhorse, and it had no other reliability issues, as far as I know. I played through it on several occasions and it sounded absolutely amazing, both with an Ampeg 8x10 and also with the Hartke cabinet he later replaced that with.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1380306025' post='2223657']
A friend of mine who is a pro player with a very good and well-established functions band had an Svt 3 and he used it extensively for a couple of years.The sound was fantastic but he sold it because it neede re-valving more often than he had anticipated. He was usually gigging about five nights a week most weeks, and found that particulaly in the winter that the valves were prone to needing replacing .He thought it was because of the warmed- up valves going from a warm environment indoors to being loaded in the van in the cold outside. Whatever the reason , he got an endorsement with another company and sold it. I emphasise , though, that he was using his amp day in and day out as a workhorse, and it had no other reliability issues, as far as I know. I played through it on several occasions and it sounded absolutely amazing, both with an Ampeg 8x10 and also with the Hartke cabinet he later replaced that with.
[/quote]

Just checked, it was actually an SVT 2 Pro. Sorry about that. Great sounding amp, though.