Why become a member? ×

Best bassline ever?

Scorchin

[quote name='Josh' post='23337' date='Jun 26 2007, 01:55 AM']If You Want Me to Stay - Sly & The Family Stone, just a great muted funk line.[/quote]

Ahh great choice!

Speaking of endurance the end of Bullet in the head is worthy for that (RATM)

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

"Life In Tokyo" by Japan (actually pretty much anything from the "Quiet Life" album but this is the most perfect)

"Choreograohy" by Modern Eon

"Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division (I also like Pino's take on this even though overall the Paul Young version is a bit lame really)

"Shake Like Judy Says" by Furniture

"Bug Powder Dust" by Bomb The Bass

[quote name='dabootsy' post='23760' date='Jun 26 2007, 09:31 PM']bryan ferry kiss and tell is a great bassline from Marcus miller[/quote]

I've loved that since before I'd even thought of picking up a bass! A taste of things to come.
I didn't know it was MM playing it, though!

My 2pence;

Jump into the fire (Harry Nilsson); Herbie Flowers. He de-tunes his open E down to about C whilst syncopating. Unbelieveable.
This is the picture (Peter Gabriel); Bill Laswell
Babooshka (Kate Bush); John Giblin- Fretless players, have a listen and weep!

Little Feat - 'Spanish Moon': Kenny Gradney just grooves on this track.

Greg Lake Band - 'Love You Too Much' and '21st Century Schizoid Man': Trevor Barry doing exactly what's necessary.

Peggy Lee = 'Fever': Don't know who played it but it's the sexiest bass line ever recorded.

And three by the Ox: 'Won't Get Fooled Again', 'My Generation' and 'Call Me Lightning'

Mmm.. My faves are; YYZ/Freewill/Digital Man/Middetown Dreams- Rush
Save a Prayer/Rio- Duran Duran
Lemon Song/Gallows Pole- Led Zepp
Disposition/Schism/Right in Two- Tool
Love Foolosophy/Too Young To Die/Runaway- Jamiroquai
Silly Love Songs/Paper Back Writer- Sir Paul.
Running Free/The Trooper- Maiden
Cold Cold Heart- Nora Jones
Prototype- Outkast
Distance- All saints (think its Stu Zender)
Turn It On- Level 42.
Reach Out/Bernadette- Four Tops
Lovesong/Lovecats- The Cure
Money/Hey You/Time- Floyd
Could You be Loved/Waiting in Vain- Bob Marley & The Wailers

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='23055' date='Jun 25 2007, 03:46 PM']First to spring to mind were these:

Good Times - Chic
Sir Duke/I Wish - Steve Wonder

but in some ways, maybe it's easier to identify amazing basslines in funk/soul etc.

As something from a completely different genre, how about:

[b]Walk On The Wild Side - Lou Reed [/b]

A totally sublime and brilliant bassline by Herbie Flowers...[/quote]

I was working my way backwards through this thread and couldn't believe no one had mentioned Walk on the Wild Side, until I found silverfoxnik had got in there right at the start.

Herbie Flowers line absolutely makes this song and is instantly recognisable, which to my mind makes it a winner.

And I'm not even much of a fan of Lou Reed.

[quote name='rohan' post='24379' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:39 PM']New model Army - vengeance the opening bass riff
NWA - express yourself
Incubus - are you in?
Alexisonfire - Accidents (the bass riff in the m8)[/quote]

Just played NMA Vengeance on my IPOD after your post, fantastic isn't it? All the early NMA is fantastic...sadly I think the bass player (Stu Morrow?) was plastering or something I read on the net.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='24421' date='Jun 28 2007, 01:56 PM']I haven't seen Marvin's [i]What's Goin On[/i] yet... I must have missed it.[/quote]

Hamster posted it back on page 1. It's a great line. I would have chosen it if it hadn't already been posted.

Ok, call me a Mowtown junkie, but I love the bass line on this one too :)

Do I Do, again Mr Stevie Wonder - I love Nathan Watts!

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o0pZ1FoUt9g"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o0pZ1FoUt9g[/url]

Hamster

Some happy memories here. A couple to add to the growing pile:

Dancin in the Moonlight - Thin Lizzy

I'm gonna tear your playhouse down - Pino on Paul Young's version

Come on, come over - Jaco at his most metronomic

Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Would I be right in thinking that this was the great Norman Watt-Roy again?

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='24760' date='Jun 29 2007, 10:49 AM']I'm another big fan of Good Times.

Another one that jumped out and clubbed me over the head first time I heard it was RHCP's Higher ground.[/quote]

i'll see your higher ground and raise you with Naked in the rain.

oh just remembered some old indie stuff, anyone remember a band called Sensless things? they had some really good bass lines in there, Bassist was Morgan Nicholls, most notable songs were Got it at the delmar and It's Cool to hang out with your Ex. couldn't find them on youtube but found this which has quite a cool line too

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YUFhjR3wM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3YUFhjR3wM[/url]

a few nice cameos in there most notable is John Peel.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='24392' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:51 PM']Just played NMA Vengeance on my IPOD after your post, fantastic isn't it? All the early NMA is fantastic...sadly I think the bass player (Stu Morrow?) was plastering or something I read on the net.[/quote]

Stuart Morrow has a new band, will post a link when I get home.

I nominated him for my "best under rated bassplayer" in another thread. He was fantastic