Why become a member? ×

Best bassline ever?

Scorchin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='23170' date='Jun 25 2007, 06:33 PM']Impossible question - but three from my massive "wish to f*ck I'd written that" category:

[i]The Chinese Way[/i] - Level 42

[i]Free Will[/i] - Rush

[i]Gutter Cat Vs The Jets[/i] - Alice Cooper Band

Jon.[/quote]

Freewill is a brilliant bass line to play...that and Far Cry

Here's my bit:

Forget Me Nots - Patrice Rushen
Freddie Washington is the dude! slap bass that is actually tasteful

Peg - Steely Dan
Chuck Rainey brilliant pop/rock bass from 60's/70's, perfect playing.

You Know Me, You Love Me - Chaka Khan
Anthony Jackson, brilliant counterpoint line to melody in chorus, drives the tune along with brilliant timing.
Still can't belive he wrote the bassline to "the love of money" when he was 19!!!!

Solid Air - John Martyn
Danny Thompson really dominated the Uk folk scene in 60's, and it understandable when you hear this track. lead melody, counterpoint, tritone subs, the dude slips so much in!! but its never seems like its over played, and the song was supposed to sound like that.

Blue Train/ So What - John Coltrane/Miles Davis
Paul Chambers changed so much with his approach and feel to double bass, he really keeps songs moving along with pushing lines onwards. his bowed solo in blue train is something special and change the image of bassist. the So What melody is classic, a moment in modern music which is timeless!

Orion - Metallica
Cliff Burton!! What else is there to say???

Whats Going On - Marvin Gaye
Does it get any better than this? Jamerson is the granddaddy of Pop bass, without him No McCartney, No Rainey, No Dunn etc
The man broke/made the rules of modern electric bass, was THE FIRST!!!

Death in Vegas : 'Rocco'
Bass played a bloke called Mat Flint from Lo-Fidelity Allstars

Takes a while to get going, intro maybe a bit long. But once it kicks in (3 minutes in) ; has a nice cyclical groove... :)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hUwGNqa8M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hUwGNqa8M[/url]

Edited by nick

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='128909' date='Jan 27 2008, 09:17 PM']Level 42 - Lessons in love... Very simple idea of arpeggiated chords but seriously effective!

Jamoraquai - Travelling without moving... A standard for my pupils to learn!

Victor Wooten - Zenergy (look it up on YouTube!)[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me about Jamoraquai....I love playing 'Too Young To Die'....Stu Zender is a contender for my modern bass heroes thread as is Paul Turner just for the awsome 'Runaway'.

• 2 months later...

I haven't had time to read through 9 pages, so sorry if I repeat:

Dry Cleaner From Des Moines - Jaco and Joni
Love Games - Level 42
You Keep Me Hanging On - Supremes (w/ James Jamerson)
If Thats Your Boyfriend - Meshell Nedgeocello (although you could pretty much include the whole album Plantation Lullabies)
You Make Me Wanna Holler - Meshell Nedgeocello
Open Letter To A Landlord - Living Colour
Toccata in Dm - Sky (with Herbie Flowers, I loved the drums and the bass on that whole Sky II album long before I even started learning a musical instrument. One day its going to be cool to like them again)
U Make Me So Hot - Sunburst Band (with Julian Crampton)

+1 Good Times - Chic (of course)
+1 What's Goin On - Marvin Gaye (w/ Jamerson again)

I thought about adding School Days by Stanley but he doesn't really groove like the others.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='178535' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:23 AM']Toccata in Dm - Sky (with Herbie Flowers, I loved the drums and the bass on that whole Sky II album long before I even started learning a musical instrument. One day its going to be cool to like them again)[/quote]

It never stopped!
Herby is one of the coolest guys on the planet - even playing a tuba wrapped in (mains) fairy lights...

[quote name='OldGit' post='178539' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:34 AM']It never stopped!
Herby is one of the coolest guys on the planet - even playing a tuba wrapped in (mains) fairy lights...[/quote]

Well crikey flip and call me Grandad, lets have a youtube clip of them.

I wish they'd stand up and move about a bit but there's no faulting the musicianship.

here's another one, Cannonball. I remember this one used to get used a lot as incidental music on TV motor racing programmes as they drove around the track on a flying lap... ...it might have been on the Red Arrows performance as part of the Farnborough Air Show highlights as well

[i]
"and...
...here we are...
...cruising at an altitude of approximately 1300 ft and
...a speed of 650 knots as...
...we go into formation...
...for the first of 106 loops...
...Mrs Flight Lieutenant Sanderson has packed a nice chicken salad for having on the way...
...unfortunately she's put sugar in the flask of coffee...
...a court martial offence I believe in the days of the British Empire..."[/i]

[quote name='OldGit' post='178539' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:34 AM']It never stopped!
Herby is one of the coolest guys on the planet - even playing a tuba wrapped in (mains) fairy lights...[/quote]

I had a thread last year about who plays the awsome bass line on the theme tune to "Return Of The Saint" from the 1970's. You guys came up trumps and said Herbie did a lot of session work for that era and it was him..