Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bass Mods K7. 7 string jazz bass? Yes...

binky_bass

Hi guys,

After deliberating with my current 6 string basses, I have concluded I am offically a 7 string player and as such I bought a backup 7 string, it's a K7 Bass Mods. Take a look guys, let me know you're vibes.

Anyone got any experiance wsith these things?? Any ideas of quality and sound? I took a punt because it only cost me £575 including a hardcase and shipping to the UK, so it seems worth it.

The guys over the pond on TalkBass seems to give it the thumbs up, just wondering if there are any UKers that know about these beasts? Considering I ordered it already, I guess asking for input is a step too late, but still, i am intregued!

Russ.

[attachment=142119:K7.jpg]

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1377175902' post='2184322']
Oh God..

We've created a monster..

O____O

Why not start learning to play guitar if you need that many strings?
[/quote]

I've heard some nice sounds from 7 string basses. You do need to know how to use them and utilise the extra strings for chordal work or solos though. I'm sure Russ knows his stuff.

I know right? The prices are stupidly low... they are Korean licensed products by all accounts with licensed Armstrong pups and licensed hipshot bridge pieces etc but the pre is all bass mods in house and the fully set them up with a plek machine too. I'll be sure to let people know about this thing in great detail! :)

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1377250965' post='2185248']
It will be tuned B to F as that is what I need to play what we play. It should be getting shipped out today... cant wait! :)
[/quote]

What kind of stuff do you play? Do you use the top strings for meedly-meedly improv stuff, or do you incorporate it into a more traditional supporting bass role? i'm quite intrigued (I have no idea what I'd do with an extra two strings!)

Well a lot of our stuff require a B string, our guitarist play a John Petrucci Custom 7 string guitar, so it makes sense to have a B on bass. I play a fair bit of tappy type stuff as well, hence the 10 string etc. so with a 7 string, most if not all songs I tap on can be bounced down to a 7. So with a 7 string, I find myself not needing to change basses over and over again. I have one 7 tuned standard, and one tuned D and with that we're all good!

Hey man, well the total price including a hardcasecand shipping from the states was £575. So I guess you'd just need to minus the difference between the cost of a K7 and a K5. I'd guess it would be £480 or so including shipping and a hardcase.

[quote name='binky_bass' timestamp='1377500178' post='2188090']
Hey man, well the total price including a hardcasecand shipping from the states was £575. So I guess you'd just need to minus the difference between the cost of a K7 and a K5. I'd guess it would be £480 or so including shipping and a hardcase.
[/quote]

WOW! So cheap, but we'll have to see what they're like. When are you expecting it to be with you?