Why become a member? ×

Confused over lightweight gear...

Jamesemt

I'm currently playing an Ashdown Superfly through a Peavey 115 BW and a Peavey 210 TVX.

As you are probably aware, these things are back breakers. What ultralightweight cabs would give me a similar sort of sound?

I'm looking to upgrade to a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 eventually, so they must work well with that too.

Looking to go as lightweight and portable as is possible - two one speaker cabs 2 1x12s maybe?

I'm in a covers band playing pop rock (think Bon Jovi/Bryan adams sort of stuff). Volume wise, I'm running the Superfly virtually on full (at 3 o clock position) and the speakers are 4 ohms, so could do with more sensitive speakers too.

Any recommendations?

mate you wanna speak with Mike at Iceni about his ultra lightweight cabs...... he got a fantastic 2 x 12 -[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=333&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

best sounding 2 x 12 I'v heard in a long time...... and mega mega lightweight!!!!!!

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='218248' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:33 PM']I cant think of anything that will sound as bad as that Peavey combination - sorry.[/quote]

I think that's being a little harsh, mine sounds OK. If you had nothing useful to contribute to the thread, why bother replying?

J,

I'm going down a similar route. I've picked up the 151HR Mark Bass cab which I don't find too back breaking but it aint the smallest beast. I don't play dissimilar stuff to you and a GB Shuttle 6 or a LM2 would easily cover with this cab and medium pubs/clubs (just trying to make my mind up which amp to add - even the smaller MB LM250 can deliver a fair punch thro the 151).

Cheers, Mart

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='218248' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:33 PM']I cant think of anything that will sound as bad as that Peavey combination - sorry.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='218263' date='Jun 13 2008, 12:52 PM']I think that's being a little harsh, mine sounds OK. If you had nothing useful to contribute to the thread, why bother replying?[/quote]
I am well aware of what that rig sounds like cos I had the same except the 2x10 was an older model. It sounded so bad I got rid of the 1x15 and got another 2x10 but as I said you taste may be different from mine.

[quote name='tauzero' post='218285' date='Jun 13 2008, 01:28 PM']Hmmm, lightweight sensitive speakers - sounds like a job for [url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com"]BFM[/url]...

How good are you at woodwork? :)[/quote]

Sadly I'd probably cut a finger off if I went near a saw... :huh:

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='218512' date='Jun 13 2008, 07:18 PM']Funny, I bought the 2x10s as a pair and sold one...maybe your 115 was a different model?[/quote]
It was just a 1x15 black widow cab but Peavey have tinkered with the cabs every couple of years so who knows. I ended up with 2 2x10's and used them for a good few years. When I got an EBS rig though the change was huge - totally different sound.

Edited by bass_ferret

I have fond memories of Peavey gear, 1820 cab, 2x15" BW, 1X15" Combo 300 and it always sounded good, was built like a bomb shelter but the weight was an issue.
I think you should sack the Superfly and use the Shuttle through a 4x10" or 3x10" 4 ohm cab with high sensitivity. 103 dbs +.

Was just comparing the frequency responses of the Schroeder 410 and the Zoot 410:

Schroeder: 40hz-18khz
Zoot: 38Hz - 5Khz

I know that the Zoot is 6-7 lbs lighter and about £200 cheaper (new), but sound wise what do we think?

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='218188' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:29 AM']I'm currently playing an Ashdown Superfly through a Peavey 115 BW and a Peavey 210 TVX.

As you are probably aware, these things are back breakers. What ultralightweight cabs would give me a similar sort of sound?

I'm looking to upgrade to a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 eventually, so they must work well with that too.

Looking to go as lightweight and portable as is possible - two one speaker cabs 2 1x12s maybe?

I'm in a covers band playing pop rock (think Bon Jovi/Bryan adams sort of stuff). Volume wise, I'm running the Superfly virtually on full (at 3 o clock position) and the speakers are 4 ohms, so could do with more sensitive speakers too.

Any recommendations?[/quote]
You've got to listen to the choices. I think you'll be suprised how good neo's sound these days and how low the latest neo 4x10's can go. I had 2 1x12's, which sounded great, but I kept coming back to the 4x10 for the big low end and the punch. And it's only 57 lbs.

[b]I'm also in the process of changing my rig[/b].... it seems to be working out a bit like moving house!..... stressful & eating into the rest of my life..... I just want it over so I can settle into my new sound!....

I have been using a Peavey T-Max head & originally had the Peavey 4x10 & 1x15 cabs... real back breakers indeed!.. but swopped them for Trace Elliot 2x10H & 1x15 cabs & used that set up for many years... & it has served me well..

I've eventually got pissed off with the weight of the TE cabs too & after borrowing a mates SWR Goliath Jr III 2x10 (coz it seemed lighter & smaller than my TE 2x10) it became apparent that I wanted to take a look at my sound as well! ... the SWR cab was so much more focused & had a clarity that meant I could hear myself much better, particularly in gigs with sh*te acoustics...

So the journey started!

1st off, I sourced a SWR 1x15 son of bertha to try with the Goliath 2x10... sound - a definite improvement.... but the bertha was pretty bulky, in fact it was more difficult to shift about than the trace stuff... so I started looking at the option of neo speakers...

I ended up at Bass Direct to try the Bergantino AE cabs...

Mark at Bass direct is an absolute star! ...the most helpful & educational shopping experience I have ever had when buying music gear!...

So after a couple of hours, I drive away with 2 Bergantino AE 112's ... very portable, a monster sound (punchy, fat & warm with a clarity I hadn't experienced before...) & classy looking to boot!....

I still have to wait for the Genz Benz neo-pak head that complimented the cabs so well.... (should be with me next week!)

So I've been between worlds, tweaking the T-Max to get the best out of it through the bergs ...
trying to sell my old cabs (...still got the 2x10!) & I'm not wanting to get too used to the sound I'm getting now, coz it will all change again when the neo-pak arrives (for the better ....I'm sure... :) !?!)
I've got about 3 more gigs before I can start working my Genz Benz/Bergantino rig........

Edited by bottomfeed

Thanks for all the advice, any more tips?

Really need to travel and actually test these cabs. Can I expect a similar type of bottom end to smaller cabs? How much bottom end would I get from two 1x12 Bergantino's for example?
I'm actually newish to the bass world (playing bass for about a year), but MUST get lightweight gear as a priority.

One tip.... which I didn't think about when I got my Bergantino AE cabs, 30lbs and 40lbs; they are small, light and have a great sound but, because they are so small I have to carry them! My 4x10, 57lbs, while being heavier is easier to move because I wheel it everywhere.
So the smaller cabs are actually heavier to me as they involve more lifting!

The other tip is to look at getting a trolley.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='219671' date='Jun 16 2008, 10:10 AM']Thanks for all the advice, any more tips?

Really need to travel and actually test these cabs. Can I expect a similar type of bottom end to smaller cabs? How much bottom end would I get from two 1x12 Bergantino's for example?
I'm actually newish to the bass world (playing bass for about a year), but MUST get lightweight gear as a priority.[/quote]

With commercially available cabs you'll 'generally' get what you pay for; there will also 'almost always' be a trade off between size/weight and tone. It'll be a compromise, if you want small and light you'll struggle to get the absolute best tone. You have to just decide where your priorities lie and how much you are prepared to compromise.

With regard to how much bottom end will you get out of the Bergs (or any cab for that matter) it depends what your point of reference is. If you are used to a 2x15 the size of an American fridge then no. If you've been using a cab like a Hartke transporter or similar then you may be very much impressed.

You also have to consider all of the other components of your set-up... what bass, which amp? I've got a smidgen more experience with gear (28years) and I still find that some bass/amp/cab combinations just work however some just don't. Just read some of the recent comments on the forum about people buying cabs with mid dips that are exagerrated by amps that have a natural mid cut etc... Hello boom :)

+1 to what warwickhunt said....

I'm finding the 2 1x12 bergs have all the bottom end I could want.... but it's different, it's more focused.... which I'm getting used to...
I need the Genz Benz head (this week hopefully) ...coz the peavey T-max was thinner sounding in comparison, when I had 'em standing next to each other with the EQ flat on both...
I'm having to boost the bottom end quite a bit with the peavey & duck the hi-mids...

The Bergs are ported at the back, which also makes a difference.... where I put 'em on stage, closeness to walls etc...

Compared to the Trace cabs..... carrying the bergs is a real treat!...

sound is such a subjective, personal thing.... you will have to try stuff for yourself to know if it suits you.. & even then it may not be immediate.. What sounds terrific on it's own, may not work in a band situation with everyone elses frequencies swallowing up your own!

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='219864' date='Jun 16 2008, 02:19 PM']The Bergs are ported at the back, which also makes a difference.... where I put 'em on stage, closeness to walls etc...[/quote]

It doesn't matter where the porting is, or even if they don't have any porting at all, the positioning on stage and closeness to walls will always make a difference. Output in the lows from both the speaker and the ports is omnidirectional.

Alex