Why become a member? ×

The ins and outs of Aria Basses

Damonjames

Hi all, wondering I there are any Aria Bass experts out there who might be able to help me out.
I really like the aria pro ii black and gold as used by Cliff Burton, but they are hard to come by and far more pricey than other aria's of similar vintage.
Can anyone explain to me the differences in models an if there is another model that is essentially the same bass in both look and sound to the B&G ? Colour doesn't matter.
Cheers

The Aria SB's were made in Japan, Other 1980's Aria's the Magna's, XRB's etc. popular in the mid 1980s were made in Korea, lower specs. But still great basses. I have a 1987 Aria that I have restored and it plays like a dream, slim fast neck, great balance, looks cool too.

The current SB's are Aria's top end machines, although a "similar" look could be achieved with the one below in black.

[url="http://www.ariaguitars.com/english/products/mab-stdii"]http://www.ariaguitars.com/english/products/mab-stdii[/url]

AFAIK: All Aria guitars & basses up to the mid-late 80's were built in Japan, even the budget lines. I've had a few Aria's during the late 80's/early 90's, and they were all MIJ.

The Elite I & II were basically single & twin pickup SB 900/1000's, with different fret markers (ovals instead of dots), and finished in red, white & blue as opposed to the clear finishes that the SB series usually had. The SB 900/1000 and the Elites were through neck designs, with a vaguely J bass feel to them. Both the SB's and the Elites had gold plated hardware and active electronics. The basses that Cliff Burton used were called the SB Black'n'Gold I & II, and were surprisingly black with gold hardware.

The reason that the 80's basses seem pricey these days is because of the acceptance that MIJ instruments during the 70's & 80's were of pretty high quality and most have stood the test of time (blowing the "Jap crap" argument levelled by some out of the water), and also that they have Artist association, the SB's with bands like Duran Duran & Spandau Ballet, the Elites/Black'n'Gold's with Cliff Burton and other rock/metal bands of the period.

I've had an SB Speciall II (passive/bolt neck - sold and then bought another years later), SB 900 and an SB 1000, all were great guitars at the time, but all were turned around for something else when the GAS set in, though the Special II is the only one that I regretted selling (both times) and the only one I'd consider getting again. I do kick myself for missing out on the Elites that I've seen gathering dust in various shops over the years, but missed out on them I did.

Check out: [url="http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html[/url] for more Aria Pro II & other Matsumoku built guitars from the period (had quite a few MIJ Westones over the years as well, and I really, REALLY regret selling my old Thunder 1A!)

Edited by Skybone

Hello,

I have an Aria BnG I - it is effectively the same bass as the Aria SB60 (apart from the paint and hardware being black and gold of course). Bought it new in 1983 for about £250. :) The reissues are priced rather high in my opinion.

If you're lucky you might be able to pick up an SB60 for a lot less than the BnG, because they were very much the 'little brother' of the Aria family in the early 80s.

SB60s look pretty much the same as the SB1000 which was Aria's flagship bass and the one all the famous people used to play (apart from Cliff Burton and Bruce Foxton).

The main difference between the SB60 and the SB1000 is the fact that the 60 is a passive bass, whereas the 1000 was active. Controls on the SB60/BnG I are pretty simple: volume pot, tone pot, coil tap switch.

Here's an independent review from 'The Complete Guitar Book' published in 1982 B)

[attachment=141549:Aria SB60 review.jpg]

Whatever you choose from that period, you really can't go far wrong.
I have many Aria from that period - all sorts of SB's, including an RSB Special and Deluxe,
right up to an early SB1000 - all great basses.
Love 'em.

At the other end of the scale, I have three Laser Heritage - two passive and one active.

I have gigged the white passives, many times.
Not got round to the active yet but will do.

If you trawl through my collection, you will find quite a few of them - in fact my latest post
is about a cracking RSB.

You look at players of that era - no end of them were playing Aria.

Good luck in your search for [i]your [/i]Aria Bass.

Cheers. :)

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1376509072' post='2175268']
Well, that 700 has an MB-I pickup. The SB-R60 featured the MB-II pickup. The Black 'n'Gold featured the second iteration of the MB-II pickup.
[/quote]

I bow to your superior knowledge of all things Aria.... :) I did my best though! :D