Why become a member? ×

MarkBass LMii vs LM Tube

andydye

I currently have a LMII head and it's great, I do sometimes hanker for that tube pre sound though and then I spotted the LM tube which has both the solid state pre (LMII/III) style and a tube pre... :gas:

has anyone tried one and does it sound like a LMII on just the ss pre?
and
does the tube pre sound equally good?

in your opinion of course... ;)

There is barely any difference with the tube in this amp. It is a tiny tube that is soldered to the board. Hardly worth putting it in the circuit.

I'd stick with the LM2/3....

If you want a tubier sounding small amp, the Mesa Walkabout, Genz Streamliner or the Markbass TTE500 would be worth checking out.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1375875462' post='2166727']
There is barely any difference with the tube in this amp. It is a tiny tube that is soldered to the board. Hardly worth putting it in the circuit.

I'd stick with the LM2/3....

If you want a tubier sounding small amp, the Mesa Walkabout, Genz Streamliner or the Markbass TTE500 would be worth checking out.
[/quote]

Fair enough, thanks matey! I may get a valve-pre pedal instead then an dkeep my LMII (I'd like to upgrade to the LMIII at some point for the DI level knob-ability though)

It's is a path I've been down: I had a LMIII, wanted a tubier sound, so tried a Sansamp BDDI in front of it, liked it, and wanted that tubier sound in one box, so I tried a lot of the smaller hybrid heads (including the LMTube and Rocker, neither of which I liked much - one ineffectual as MM20 says, the other too fizzy) then bought (in order) a TC RH450, an Ashdown Spyder, a Mesa M-Pulse, an SVT Pro-7, a PF500, a Walkabout and then a Streamliner. I've stuck on the Streamliner because it works for me, but I guess if I had to pick a second place it'd be the M-Pulse, tho that's a full-size head. Never tried a TTE, but I'd like to.

Rather than bung the board up with stuff I've typed before, if you want any more detailed opinions, just PM me.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1375876242' post='2166744']
It's is a path I've been down: I had a LMIII, wanted a tubier sound, so tried a Sansamp BDDI in front of it, liked it, and wanted that tubier sound in one box, so I tried a lot of the smaller hybrid heads (including the LMTube and Rocker, neither of which I liked much - one ineffectual as MM20 says, the other too fizzy) then bought (in order) a TC RH450, an Ashdown Spyder, a Mesa M-Pulse, an SVT Pro-7, a PF500, a Walkabout and then a Streamliner. I've stuck on the Streamliner because it works for me, but I guess if I had to pick a second place it'd be the M-Pulse, tho that's a full-size head. Never tried a TTE, but I'd like to.
Rather than bung the board up with stuff I've typed before, if you want any more detailed opinions, just PM me.
[/quote]

:D

I've had an Eden WT800 a long while ago now and loved it but it was bl**dy heavy, I've since had a Genz shuttle and it sounded very thin compared to the LMII, I'd quite like to try a Streamliner but I do like my LMII for most things it's just occasionally I'd like a bit of valve sparkle n grit when using a certain bass for certain songs etc...so [i]if[/i] the LM-tube had been any good it would have been spot on as I could have simply switched the pre balance around but given the consensus seems to be they're not so great I may have a little valve-pre clutter on my board soon...ah well, more shopping :ph34r:

The Little Mark Tube is a great amp, but there isn`t much difference between the SS and Tube on it. Just a tiny bit of "fur" around the sound, even when on full. Ideal for me wanting just a shimmer oround the edges, but to anyone wanting more grit, no. It feels warmer and less defined in the mix though when on the Tube setting.

The LMT does sound very much like the LMII though, as I now have one of those in my CMD121 combo. I bought the CMD straight after the LMT so could easily compare them. Not much difference at all when on the SS setting.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375889206' post='2167015']
The Little Mark Tube is a great amp, but there isn`t much difference between the SS and Tube on it. Just a tiny bit of "fur" around the sound, even when on full. Ideal for me wanting just a shimmer oround the edges, but to anyone wanting more grit, no. It feels warmer and less defined in the mix though when on the Tube setting.

The LMT does sound very much like the LMII though, as I now have one of those in my CMD121 combo. I bought the CMD straight after the LMT so could easily compare them. Not much difference at all when on the SS setting.
[/quote]

Mucho helpful, thanks matey! I'll probably just upgrade to the LMIII then and get a valvey-pre pedal that does a bit of dirt too

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1375889206' post='2167015']

[/quote]

I had the exact same experience. I owned both. The LM series are fine amps: warm and clean. It's just not the sound I was looking for. I sold both of mine to friends and they are very happy with them. I'm using a Streamliner now and am finally satisfied with my tone. I needed more grit and bottom and the STL delivers on both counts.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375889476' post='2167019']
Mucho helpful, thanks matey! I'll probably just upgrade to the LMIII then and get a valvey-pre pedal that does a bit of dirt too
[/quote]

I`ve got the Zoom B3 for that. It`s got many different effects on it, as well as tuner, but it also has amp-modelling with the Little Mark II on there. So for gigs with FOH, or amp breakages, I can still get "my" sound to the PA. I get all my eq from the B3, including a it of drive, and compression, just have all settings on the amp set flat.

I had a DHA VT1 EQ into my LM2 and was reasonably happy until GAS set in and I bought a TTE500.
In my opinion the TTE is a much better option if you want a real tube tone and feel. You may get a superficial type of old school character from a valve (or valve emulating ) pedal but the TTE is a whole new thing entirely.
For different purposes I do like the Zoom B3 though.

I now own Lozz's old LMT. It's a great little amp but the valve really does sod all. I find the amp sounds [i]slightly[/i] warmer when the blend knob is between SS and valve, but then it evens out again when you turn fully to the valve side.

It's not a huge deal for me as I use a Tech 21 to dirty things up, but I find it odd that Markbass went to all the effort of designing the amp to have a valve when it makes virtually no difference to the sound. :huh:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1376052703' post='2169052']
I now own Lozz's old LMT. It's a great little amp but the valve really does sod all. I find the amp sounds [i]slightly[/i] warmer when the blend knob is between SS and valve, but then it evens out again when you turn fully to the valve side.

It's not a huge deal for me as I use a Tech 21 to dirty things up, but I find it odd that Markbass went to all the effort of designing the amp to have a valve when it makes virtually no difference to the sound. :huh:
[/quote]

Definately a consensus that it's a pointless exercise for me to try one. Thanks folks!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1376056478' post='2169126']
I vote Genz Streamliner.
Awesome thing. I love it.
[/quote]

I had a shuttle 9.0 and thought it a bit thin sounding, is the streamliner really such a different animal? Has anyone in/around Sheffield got one I could try / compare to my LMII please?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1376058106' post='2169150']
I had a shuttle 9.0 and thought it a bit thin sounding, is the streamliner really such a different animal?
[/quote]

That was my experience too. I moved my Shuttle on, and the guy who bought it loves it to bits. I didn't think it was even close to being as good as my Peavey. Funny old world, eh?

Edited by GregBass

I had a shuttle 9.0 and thought it a bit thin sounding, is the streamliner really such a different animal? Has anyone in/around Sheffield got one I could try / compare to my LMII please?
[/quote]
Thin is certainly not the word I'd use to describe a Streamliner - buckets of bottom end (first time I've had an amp where I normally have the bass control turned down) but still punchy and defined.

From what I've seen of the Shuttle it's a lot more hi-fi sounding and to my ears (admittedly via YouTube) a bit thin and sterile.

[/quote]

Found my LM3 much beefier than any of the GB stuff IMO