Why become a member? ×

Wilko Johnson at Wickham Festival (Yesterday)

Count Bassy

Never seen him before, and sadly I guess I won't again, but his gig at Wickham Festival last night must count amongst one of the best gigs I've seen in my life. Completely mesmerising. They could have played all night and I wouldn't have got bored. [size=4]Ably assisted by Norman Watt-Roy and Dylan Howe an absolutely stunning hour of music from just three people.[/size]

[size=4]As for "Our Norman", I've have seen him a few times with the Blockheads and he never fails to astound me. Surely one of the true masters of the instrument, and playing exactly like I would like to play if only I had any talent. At the risk of opening up another Jaco thread I've got to say that, to me, Norman Watt-Roy is worth 10 Jaco Pastorius's any day of the week.[/size]

[size=4]I'm normally one to find something to criticise in any gig (yes it was good, but.......), but there just was no "but" last night.[/size]

I used to go and see him at the Fox on Palmers Green and the Sir George Robey at Finsbury Park. I know nothnig about him when i first saw him, and to be honest really couldn't name many of his songs now, but he, and his band, were one of only a few that have kept me memorised for a whole gig.
Like you, i tend to come away "yeah, its was ok..." but never Wilko's gigs. Good times.

Completely agree about Norman as well. That guy just seems so natural at what he does. Never flash for flash sake, but so enjoyable to listen to. I'd much rather listen to him than some (most) of the big names, Jaco included.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1375730854' post='2164932']
I saw Wilko when I was 15 or 16, it was 1978 or 79..... It remains one of the best gigs I've ever seen, and I've seen a few!
[/quote]

ditto

and Norman is the bass player I want to be (when I am not being Andy Fraser) however lack of talent (and effort) precludes these ambitions.

Norm has to be the UK's no1 electric bassist, he's got the licks and chops to play the lot and what a showman...
Wilko a one-off and complete nutcase on stage and he seems such a humble human off. I only saw them once as the Blockheads many moons ago and was blown away..

I stumbled upon WJ playing with NW-R and some drummer I can't recall in a little club on a wet Wednesday night in Nottingham in the mid-80's. Not that many people there iirc. As I was at a 'barely beginning to teach myself bass from library books' point I was blown away by Norman nedless to say. Wilko was a bit manic and slightly scary as you'd expect. Don't recall any of the set list at all, didn't know much Feelgood beyond Milk and Alcohol in those days and he didn't play on it anyway.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1375803799' post='2165897']
I stumbled upon WJ playing with NW-R and some drummer I can't recall in a little club on a wet Wednesday night in Nottingham in the mid-80's. Not that many people there iirc. As I was at a 'barely beginning to teach myself bass from library books' point I was blown away by Norman nedless to say. Wilko was a bit manic and slightly scary as you'd expect. Don't recall any of the set list at all, didn't know much Feelgood beyond Milk and Alcohol in those days and he didn't play on it anyway.
[/quote]drummer would have been Salvatore Ramundo.

Seen Wilko with Norman W-R - absolutely fantastic, though Norman is probably the sweatiest musician I've ever seen..... :blush:

I wish I'd seen Feelgood live though; been nothing like Wilko's manic chugging guitar paired with Lee Brilleaux's snarling vocals before or since. What a great and underrated songwriter Wilko is too!

Interesting reference to Norman W-R's early influences here: [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/mickhawksworth3.php"]http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/mickhawksworth3.php[/url]

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1375816318' post='2166144']
Seen Wilko with Norman W-R - absolutely fantastic, though Norman is probably the sweatiest musician I've ever seen..... :blush:

I wish I'd seen Feelgood live though; been nothing like Wilko's manic chugging guitar paired with Lee Brilleaux's snarling vocals before or since. What a great and underrated songwriter Wilko is too!

Interesting reference to Norman W-R's early influences here: [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/mickhawksworth3.php"]http://www.flyguitar...hawksworth3.php[/url]
[/quote]

Yes. For the Wilko set he only had a shirt on (yes- trousers, socks and shoes as well), but for the Blockheads he was wearing a suit, and the sweat came through the back of his jacket!. Mind you the effort he puts into his playing excuses a bit of sweat.

On another note re Wilko: I hope that when I'm at that stage of my life I can continue to enjoy life and have a such a positive attitude as he does. Hats off to the man. In the words of Lister "What a guy".

Interesting article here: [url="http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/wilko-johnson-you-have-to-live-for-the-minute-youre-in-8744944.html"]http://www.independe...in-8744944.html[/url]

Edited by Count Bassy

Lee brillaux is probably the only person I've seen to give Norman watt-roy a challenge in the sweat stakes. Saw Wilko last year in bath and he was pure quality and agree with everything said about nwr. Hope his health stays good.