Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan's (not so well knowns)

bubinga5

I was listening to some Steely Dan yesterday, there is so much material that is not so popular but. they really are one of those bands that always have some hidden magic. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43YQXrkdpzU[/media]
profound music that really stays with you.

there is no way i cant tap my foot to this SD funk. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpwVFuWTeFQ[/media] there are so many more. i will never tire of these guys.

Edited by bubinga5

Coincidently I was listening to the Two Against Nature live DVD today and yes they are just always so good. My favourite album is The Royal Scam, some lesser known, yet great tunes on that album, like Caves of Altamira, Dont Take Me Alive, Sign in Stranger just 3 (consecutive) examples.

Edited by ezbass

This is interesting. I bought every Steely Dan LP from Can't Buy A Thrill to Gaucho the week they were released so each track is equally well known to me. I just used to play both sides the whole way through.
Years ago when you bought a vinyl LP and played every track in sequence you were familiar with all of the tracks unlike nowadays with CDs and iPods where you can more easily skip tracks.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1374967170' post='2155406']
This is interesting. I bought every Steely Dan LP from Can't Buy A Thrill to Gaucho the week they were released so each track is equally well known to me. I just used to play both sides the whole way through.
Years ago when you bought a vinyl LP and played every track in sequence you were familiar with all of the tracks unlike nowadays with CDs and iPods where you can more easily skip tracks.
[/quote]
:)

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1374997429' post='2155496']
I still prefer to listen to albums in their entirety, even on my iPhone/iPod. Rarely, if ever, skip tracks.
[/quote]
That's good to hear but i reckon you are in the minority. Every Steely Dan album had instant stand out tracks but there were always a few that took a while to grow on you.

Thanks to this thread, I pulled out Gaucho again, and was flabbergasted by how much it had grown on me during the "unplaid" years (always hear stuff in my head though). It's as if the studio has vanished and the compositions sound deeper and more personal than ever.

These are bad tidings. I now have to get me CD versions. I'd not bothered before, but now I must.

Still: thanko mucho for posting!

best,
bert

I should put in a good word for Donald Fagen's first solo album, 'The Nightfly'. Tracks like 'IGY' and 'Walk between the raindrops' never fail to put a huge grin on my face.

It's wonderfully produced, too. One of my reference albums when trying new audio gear.

SD are a band I first 'tried' to get a few years ago - and just couldn't!

For some reason, they didn't click with me, just found the music to be impenetrable.

Forward fast to last year - saw the 'Citizen' box set (basically all the original albums) on download for about £13.

Though I'd try again - after all, I did like a few tracks last time I tried.....

Must be an age thing - I loved it! Since then, I've really absorbed the records. Can't fault nearly anything!

Agree on 'The Royal Scam' - maybe my fav as well. Only one I still struggle with ever so slightly is 'Pretzel Logic' - just find that weaker than the others, maybe because they're so strong.

'Gaucho' too - amazing vibe on that.

So the message is persevere - maybe everyone gets to SD in the end! :)[size=4] [/size]

Although I stick to my choices they both appear on Steely Dan compilations so perhaps don't qualify for the thread topic. Then again most ornery folk would think of Reelin' in the Years or Do It Again so what the heck!

I've been playing Josie and Deacon Blues (TABS on the Bassment website along with Kid Charlemagne and Peg). The bass line to Deacon Blues is one of Walter Becker's finest in my view and I'm using it with a pupil of mine. So many facets of bass playing in one song - just superb!

I bought Zazu on CD and still have it. Bought exactly because of the Steely Dan input. I went right off it though when I found out that she uses made up words. Dunno why but it turned me right off.
We could of course mention China Crisis with the Becker link, not aware that they used made up words.

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1375285734' post='2159311']
I bought Zazu on CD and still have it. Bought exactly because of the Steely Dan input. I went right off it though when I found out that she uses made up words. Dunno why but it turned me right off.
We could of course mention China Crisis with the Becker link, not aware that they used made up words.
[/quote]
I also bought Zazu but on it's release (on vinyl) and i still have it. I suppose that all words are 'made up' at some time so this never turned me off.

Edited by BetaFunk