Why become a member? ×

3 senior gents, moved to tears by their own song

John Cellario

Nobody's 'taste' is dire. No music is dire. Consequences or events may be dire (ominous, disastrous, urgent or desperate) but not taste or - indeed - music.

Thing is that in the absence of context - "I don't like STH because it reminds me of when Sally Twelvetrees laughed at my tiny penis" - or informed criticism - "Zeppelin's over reliance on the key of A minor" - or examples of 'better' musical pieces, well, the poster is telling me no more than the entirely forgettable fact that they don't [i]like[/i] something.

Should they proceed to compound this solecism by inexpertly confusing matters of taste with matters of essence, they fall off the conveyor belt of opinion into the hopper marked 'Ignore the old fashioned way.'

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374431932' post='2148672']
Word is Chris Rea is joining Dire Straits on second guitar. The band are changing their name to Diarrhea
[/quote]

I will be biding my time from now until I get the oppotunity to use that gag on someone else . In the meantime , I've got a coat you can borrow to put over your head to hide the shame ...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374432589' post='2148689']
I will be biding my time from now until I get the oppotunity to use that gag on someone else . In the meantime , I've got a coat you can borrow to put over your head to hide the shame ...
[/quote]
Not now. I am just about to listen to a Justin bootleg

[/quote]
I just used it now on someone else, it worked well.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374432844' post='2148695']
Not now. I am just about to listen to a Justin bootleg
[/quote]

Just make sure Justin doesn't find out . He's terrifying when he gets angry :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij89w9_x8d4

Not just talented but tough , too .

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374433949' post='2148712']
Just make sure Justin doesn't find out . He's terrifying when he gets angry :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij89w9_x8d4

Not just talented but tough , too .
[/quote]

Absolutely, but that sort of behaviour is Dire

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374435598' post='2148751']
But is he Strait ?
[/quote]
Who cares, he covers Zep at his shows. Listen to this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9i_M7QvE4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9i_M7QvE4[/url] Full of emotion, brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374436283' post='2148763']
Who cares, he covers Zep at his shows. Listen to this [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9i_M7QvE4[/media] Full of emotion, brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat.
[/quote]

This is really you isn't it ? You can't fool me !

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374425899' post='2148587']
Its only rock n roll, rather than matter of life and death. People have opinions on music, should be allowed to articulate them as they wish and so be it rather than be straight jacketed by a narrow criteria of expression. Your insistence that I am out to offend anybody is wide of the mark, OTT and might be viewed as a personal attack on my character, but rest easy as I am not offended by your inaccuracy in this regard. Now time for a beer and a listen to the 'sublime' Led Zep 2. Highly recomended.
[/quote]

You've completely missed my point. I would explain but Skank's post has already done it far more eloquently that I could.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1374428294' post='2148618']
It has all the integrity of a Justin Bieber song, who has also sold millions of records which emotionally connect to their audience.
[/quote]

Don't be silly Chris. Even you must on some level understand how Stairway To Heaven is able to spark a strong emotional connection with a listener, even if you don't like it yourself. If you don't see it then you're likely being deliberately obtuse. The Justin Bieber comparison for example is plain bollocks.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374437340' post='2148793']
You've completely missed my point. I would explain but Skank's post has already done it far more eloquently that I could.
[/quote][quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374437340' post='2148793']
[/quote]
Skank's eloquence is indeed noted, as is your acknowledgement that such eloquence is beyond your capacity, which was adequately displayed by your 'point' (which i did not miss) that my post was intended to be offensive. However eloquence is something well worth striving for so don't give up yet

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374438150' post='2148807']
Skank's eloquence is indeed noted, as is your acknowledgement that such eloquence is beyond your capacity, which was adequately displayed by your 'point' ([b]which i did not miss[/b]) that my post was intended to be offensive. However eloquence is something well worth striving for so don't give up yet
[/quote]

It seems that you did, because I said nothing the [u]intention[/u] behind your post, only it's likely interprepation.

If you brand a piece of music as 'dire' then you're implying that anyone who happens to like and enjoy that music has dire taste in music, which if not offensive is certainly a tad on the rude side.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1374431932' post='2148672']
Word is Chris Rea is joining Dire Straits on second guitar. The band are changing their name to Diarrhea
[/quote]
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374432998' post='2148699']
I just used it now on someone else, it worked well.
[/quote]You should all get ya coats to hide your shame hanging heads....it's an old Hale and Pace joke!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374439062' post='2148829']
It seems that you did, because I said nothing the [u]intention[/u] behind your post, only it's likely interprepation.

If you brand a piece of music as 'dire' then you're implying that anyone who happens to like and enjoy that music has dire taste in music, which if not offensive is certainly a tad on the rude side.
[/quote]
Your post reads "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][u]certainly offensive[/u] to accuse people of having 'dire' taste in music"[/font] which is [u]your[/u] interpretation rather than "it's likely interpretation" and completely inaccurate. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374439062' post='2148829']

[/quote]
But actually it's OK to offend people, I'm strongly in favour of offending people. It's more than OK to offend, it's essential for people to be offended sometimes. Your freedom of expression is my freedom to be offended and my freedom to say so. And vice versa. Long live offence.