Why become a member? ×

I bought a double bass!

Burg

Hi all,

I took the plunge this week and bought myself a double bass. It's made in Chekyslovakia. no makers mark or any other identifying features. I'm a complete novice so I'm not sure if it's any good or not but I like the sound it makes so far and it's putting a big smile on my face when I try to play it so that's a good sign. I bought it from a music school who were having a clearout for £300 which I'm hoping was a bargain (what do you chaps and chapettes think?). The school is also selling a couple of Zeller Stentor basses for £250 and £350 (check Gumtree) which were very nice but I preferred this bass over them both.

I'm genuinely surprised at just how different an instrument it is to bass guitar though. I've been watching loads of videos on Youtube that are giving me an idea of how to approach playing it and I'll be booking a couple of lessons in with a tutor some time soon to make sure I start off with some good advice and as few bad habits as possible.

Any tips and advice for a newbie warmly welcomed. I'm on the hunt for a cheap bow if anyone has one available as I think I'll try my hand at Arco if just to play Mr Krinkle. Message me if you have anything available. Can anyone recommend any online resources or any books/DVDs that will be useful for me as a beginner to get started with? Any freebies greatly accepted ;)

Thanks all.

Thanks.

The school in question has just become a performing arts academy and has had a massive amount of investment so I think they were planning to buy new instruments in for the students and so were selling these older instruments.

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1374229770' post='2146620']
Thanks.

The school in question has just become a performing arts academy and has had a massive amount of investment so I think they were planning to buy new instruments in for the students and so were selling these older instruments.
[/quote]

Result all round then! :D

Nice buy, looks to be a Boosey & Hawkes Excelsior. I've had one for about 25 years, still going strong, great old ply bass. Mine sounds great with innovation slaps on the E & A and plain gut G & D. If you want arco strings, Spirocores always sounded good on it too. Enjoy.

Edited by symcbass

A nice Czech bass for £300? Take a look around, you have actually died and gone to heaven :D

Fantastic. You'll have a ball.

On the books front, +1 for Rufus Reid. Also Micheal Moore's book is very systematic.

Lots of people seem happy with the Yitamusic carbon bows on ebay.

[url="http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Top-Model-A-Carbon-Fiber-Double-Bass-Bow-French-/150580744560?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item230f4fd170"]http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Top-Model-A-Carbon-Fiber-Double-Bass-Bow-French-/150580744560?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item230f4fd170[/url]

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1374247841' post='2146897']
Hi [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/3801-symcbass/"]symcbass[/url], any way I could find out for sure if this was an Excelsior?
[/quote]

Yep, it does look to be a Boosey and Hawkes - not so sure that its an Excelsior though?

The Boosey and Hawkes 'ARTIA' Excelsior Double Bass, 3/4 size, built circa 1960, were swell backed, laminated but with a nice mature, warm sound.These were Czech made basses and imported by B & H and designated the 'Excelsior' range (a name they applied to many quality student instruments, brass and woodwind), under the Artia label, coming from the Luby factory that now make Strunal basses.

Could be either The Excelsior which was a full plywood bass, or even a Golden Strad which had carved top ( rather than plywood) .

It looks however like it be a bit more recent and might be a '400 series' made in the 1980s in Czechoslovakia - still a good quality student instrument !. Look inside the left f hole - there should be a label.

That's a great price for a nice looking DB and welcome to the upright world from a comparative newbie as well.

I already booked a lesson with a teacher for the day I collected my DB to prevent any bad habits from the start. The only tutor within a reasonable distance of where I lived was from an orchestral/classical background and although I intended to play mainly jazz/folk/pop, I've really enjoyed learning classical with the bow and I've used the ABRSM graded system as a progressive structure to develop my skills. I would highly recommend this path.

If you decide to get a tutor it is better to study with the material they recommend. On the YouTube check out some of these lessons: [url="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs9BUePQd4LCt4hpuE7srDpaH2708Fl_H&feature=mh_lolz"]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs9BUePQd4LCt4hpuE7srDpaH2708Fl_H&feature=mh_lolz[/url]

Nice score. Not sure it's either an Excelsior (upper bouts look wrong, and never seen one with that nice burst staining), or a Golden Strad to be honest. More likely an Excelsior, I think later models (70-80s) varied in shape bait.
It'll be labelled if it is.
No matter, fine looking bass, and would expect nice warm tone.
Bridge needs adjusting by the way, down a bit, between he fhole notches....

My Czech Artia has that sunburst staining and I paid around three times as much! You have a real bargain there. I found Innovation Honeys to be great sounding strings, but of course it depends what kind of music you want to play. The bridge does need to be adjusted and you may find the soundpost needs to be moved too. But given what you paid for it, it's well worth spending a bit more. If it's set up for orchestral work then the action could be lowered, making it easier to play pizzicato. But whatthehell, just enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1374247841' post='2146897']
Hi [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/3801-symcbass/"]symcbass[/url], any way I could find out for sure if this was an Excelsior?
[/quote]
Get your torch out and have a look inside the F holes for any kind of label. welcome to the world of real Bass!
Resources: A good teacher and a copy of Simandl's Bass Method to get your bowing (and therefore, intonation) up to speed.
Theres a myriad of information online these days, way more than when I started.