Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodgers at Hyde Park - embarrassing

Jah Wibble

Went to see Nile at the Barclaycard Hyde Park last night and it was an absolute shambles.....

NOT Nile and the band of course, but the event organisers and engineers. From the moment the band started there were problems...couldn't hear Nile's guitar at all!!!!!

Things went down hill from there, sound mix washing all over the show until eventually during a song the sound cut out all together and no announcement from the organisers as to what was going on at all. No sound for about 20 minutes.

Nile's mic started working again and the cowardly organisers left it up to him announce that the amps had over heated - not the stage amps.....the bloody P.A. Amps??!!?
I know it was a hot day, but they had known it was going to be for ages (at least a week) and there really is no exuse what so ever. I don't care what your experience is on gig of that magnitude, that shouldv'e NEVER have happened.
I was just left embaressed wondering what the f***k he must be thinking.

I went to see Paul Simon last year and the sound was just awful, barely audible, the Springsteen/McCartny fiasco, now this
What must all these artists think of the UK's professionalism??

It goes on.....

Somehow Nile's guitar started coming through the P.A. for the opening riff of "Thinkin' of you" and the crowd erupted, I thought for a sec we were going to be treated to a guitar and accapella version for second, but the band started........no drums, bass, horns,keys nothing except guitar.

EVENTUALY it got sorted and the band played on. What was really great was how well the Nile and the band took it, was a real lesson in showmanship.
Here's a clip someone posted on YouTube of Nile talking to the crowd

http://t.co/kqIrKXqThw

What was EVEN worse was when J Lo's awful hyper sh*t - in yo face - video game music started up, it was so loud and clear you couldn't escape it!?!
Sound problems went on, hampering the crown
Prince of Heart FM Mr Lionel Richie's set too.

To the organisers and engineers, you should give up the day job, leaves on the line doesn't cover it and I hope someone's head rolls for yesterday's shambles. Just be grateful it didn't happen whist Reg Dwight was playing, he would have probably had your balls in his purse for all eternity.

Edited by Jah Wibble

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1373891711' post='2142680']
Nile's mic started working again and the cowardly organisers left it up to him announce that the amps had over heated - not the stage amps.....the bloody P.A. Amps??!!?
I know it was a hot day, but they had known it was going to be for ages (at least a week) and there really is no exuse what so ever. I don't care what your experience is on gig of that magnitude, that shouldv'e NEVER have happened.
I was just left embaressed wondering what the f***k he must be thinking.
[/quote]

The overheating thing doesn't add up to me. Sure, it was a hot day . . . . for the UK, but gigs like this are put on in hotter places aren't they?

Just another reason I'm happy not to go to these 'festivals' any more.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1373892319' post='2142693']

The overheating thing doesn't add up to me. Sure, it was a hot day . . . . for the UK, but gigs like this are put on in hotter places aren't they?

Just another reason I'm happy not to go to these 'festivals' any more.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I thought??
How can they put on gigs in the f**king desert, but not the UK??

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1373892319' post='2142693']
[/quote]

Best guess - power amps in a black rack left in full sunlight and with the back either closed or pushed up against something?

Funny because Nile was being interviewed on some sunday morning show yesterday and he said that at his Guildford show the previous evening they'd forgot to put mics in the stands on stage!! No vocal mics!

He said he was opening with Let's Dance, played the intro, stepped up to the microphone, and....no mic!

Truckstop

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1373896937' post='2142793']
Does not sound good...there will be major post mortems and witch hunts over this behind the scenes.

A shame for the concert goers..!!!

Not sure what excuses you can have for a gig of that magnitude...
[/quote]

I hope so, for all the punters to be let down by that at such a big gig.
Took my dad who was BIG into disco back in the day and had never seen him before. Bit of an anti climax to put it very lightly
Once they got it sorted it was f**king good tho, Simon Le Bon Bon came on for Notorious and thought King Jarret was gonna come on for Let's Dance - but the vox were covered by their drummer who was grooving HARD, best tune of the set for me.

I saw them at Glynde a couple of weeks ago.

It was a [b][i]baking[/i][/b] hot day, I was maybe 5 or 6 rows off the front.

The sound was, stella, unreal, awesome, perfect even, a perfect match fo rthe band.

Well chuffed to have been able to see them when the crew and the kit was all working like one beautiffuly well oiled machine.

Cant believe the stories of Hyde Park, how rubbish is that, I'd have demanded my money back....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1373903512' post='2142918']

The sound was, stella, unreal, awesome, perfect even, a perfect match fo rthe band.

Well chuffed to have been able to see them when the crew and the kit was all working like one beautiffuly well oiled machine.

Cant believe the stories of Hyde Park, how rubbish is that, I'd have demanded my money back....
[/quote]

There was a bit of a delay getting Chic going at Love Supreme - can't remember exactly what the problem was though. But otherwise as you say, it was a fantastic performance. Best set of the day.

Ever since I moved to the UK (almost 6 years ago) the sound have been absolute crap on at least 80% of the gigs I've been to. Doesn't matter if it's the O2 or Shepherd's Bush Empire, or some smaller venue. I think the only occasion I can recall where the sound was killer was at a Bootsy Collins gig at the Indigo O2 a couple of years ago. One of the best live sounds I ever heard in my life, specially with so many people on stage. TM Stevens had problems with his rig, but that didn't compromise the show at all to be honest. Three bass players on stage in total, haha!

Festivals? The only way I will ever be at a Festival is if get paid to do so.

I remember [u]free [/u]summer concerts in Hyde Park back in the 1970's with Queen , Steve Hillage ect , and the P.A was perfectly adequate . Now it's ( allegedly ) 2013 , it's a prestige gig and they are charging big money for tickets . Sounds like a complete bollocks up all round . They ought to give refunds .

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1373903999' post='2142930']
There was a bit of a delay getting Chic going at Love Supreme - can't remember exactly what the problem was though. But otherwise as you say, it was a fantastic performance. Best set of the day.
[/quote]

Yeah the delay was them line checking and getting decent monitor sends set up ( both Niles and the bassist found their monitors lacking in top end). This soundcheck took about 15 or 20 minutes. Well worth the wait for a subsequently perfect set IMO....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1373903512' post='2142918']

[/quote]

I've been lucky enough to catch Chic a few times now but because I'm such a big shot in the music industry ;-) I got some comps so won't be asking for a refund, but I'm definitely going to make a complaint.

[quote name='superclive' timestamp='1373893485' post='2142719']
Nile was on 6 music this afternoon and said his sound team found a way to re-route the stage mix through front of house so that the gig could continue. He also said it was the first time in his career he'd ever known the PA to go mid gig.
[/quote]

Sounds like the FOH mixer crashing/locking up/dying to me...

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1373904776' post='2142945']
Ever since I moved to the UK (almost 6 years ago) the sound have been absolute crap on at least 80% of the gigs I've been to. Doesn't matter if it's the O2 or Shepherd's Bush Empire, or some smaller venue. I think the only occasion I can recall where the sound was killer was at a Bootsy Collins gig at the Indigo O2 a couple of years ago. One of the best live sounds I ever heard in my life, specially with so many people on stage. TM Stevens had problems with his rig, but that didn't compromise the show at all to be honest. Three bass players on stage in total, haha!

Festivals? The only way I will ever be at a Festival is if get paid to do so.
[/quote]

Was at that Bootsy gig n'all and agree the sound was great, watching Bernie W play was the highlight for me.
And I also share the mantra that I'm only going to a festival if I'm playin, just waiting for that call..
I don't really count Hyde Park (or anything like that in London) a festival really, just very large corporate gigs

Edited by Jah Wibble

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1373906923' post='2142989']
And I also share the mantra that I'm only going to festival if I'm playin, just waiting for that call..
[/quote]

I've been saying that for years when my back was destroyed at Reading from sitting or lying on the ground when I was still in my 20's, although I've broken that rule by going to All Tomorrows Parties and getting a chalet which suits me a lot better.