Why become a member? ×

This girl bassist is toned!

cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1372718252' post='2129216']
Her looks didn't come under my notice. She's not my type. The post was about her tone. I liked her tone. I like plays on words. That's all.

CB
[/quote]

Sorry, I didnt really mean to single you out there, I do appreciate that it was a fairly light hearted title and that your OP was focused on the tone - it was really some of the subsequent postings that invoked my ire and I've seen some more extreme examples of thread titles in the same vein that I was thinking of. I could have been more clear though.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1372718252' post='2129216']
Her looks didn't come under my notice... etc
[/quote]

Don't worry, chum. It's no biggie compared to some older threads here.

Most tend to overlook the 'Try and (sic) avoid religion politics and sexism' thing, little realising that the sexism bit is about the only [i]really[/i] taboo area on BC. It's easy to be lulled into unwariness if one wasn't around for the last mini-debate on the issue which was a few years ago, IIRC.

Not that such a sensitivity is a bad thing, because (with one exception a few years ago) the BC laydees politely, reasonably and consistently punch above their weight in every respect. That we might have more of them in our company is a consummation devoutly to be wished.

As for Dingus, well Sir, you present a competent defence for your position, somewhat undercut by the customarily mammarian focus of your avatars :P

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372723780' post='2129265']I'm trying to help people save money, mate :D[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Don't get me wrong Nige, it's highly commendable.[/size]
[size=4]I'd go for it myself if I wasn't so old school that I need my trousers to be flappin'. [/size] ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372723933' post='2129266']
[/size]
Don't get me wrong Nige, it's highly commendable.
I'd go for it myself if I wasn't so old school that I need my trousers to be flappin'. ;)
[/quote]
Yeah I know what you mean, but trouser flappin ain't nowt compared to yer wedding vegetables a'quivering cos you know your tone is bang on the parson's feet without spending two large every few month.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372724536' post='2129270']Yeah I know what you mean, but trouser flappin ain't nowt compared to yer wedding vegetables a'quivering cos you know your tone is bang on the parson's feet without spending two large every few month.[/quote]

Haha! :lol:[size=4] Well, I can't top that. Thank you for sending me to bed a-sniggering like a peasant who's found a nice turnip. :crazy:[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372724793' post='2129271']
Ha, ha, ha! :lol: Well, I can't top that. Thank you for sending me to bed a-sniggering like a peasant who's found a nice turnip. :crazy:
[/quote]

I'll name my next awe-inspiring patch 'Henry' mate :) Hope he's ok man.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372724964' post='2129273']I'll name my next awe-inspiring patch 'Henry' mate :) Hope he's ok man.[/quote]

He's very good indeed and everyone's astonished by his progress. He got away with it - this time. Thanks for asking. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1372750044' post='2129352']

Looks like a 13 year old...

You find this attractive?
[/quote]
I think that Suzie Q may have been somewhere older than 13 when the picture was taken...

It’s pretty obvious to anyone that the vast majority of bass players are male (and as a result the Basschat community is also a male dominated environment). I have seen very few female bass players in bands so I can’t really comment on that, but I do see a lot on Youtube (like this clip). It is of course, only in fairly recent times that gender politics and equality in this country have improved to a level where men or women can choose whatever occupations / past times they like without fear of ridicule or persecution. We’ve a way to go, but we have made progress… the whole feminist ‘everything is against us’ approach is ridiculous in this day and age (in this country) and such militant views are counterproductive and detract from the real areas of equality we still need to address. Slowly but surely more and more women are now taking up bass playing, football and other traditionally ‘male’ interests.

Obviously with professional players there is no difference between the skills of a male or a female bass player, there is nothing genetic that would make a man a better player. However I would say that the standard of playing from the female bass players I see on Youtube is lower than the men. But… bear with me before you tear me down… I believe that’s because of the exposure and who’s viewing the videos. Many men will happily watch a video of a pretty girl irrelevant of her level of playing skill. There is a video of a girl playing a series of covers on Youtube - Jade something or other she is called. Now she’s competent enough technically but certainly nothing to write home about. She is however attractive... She has a million views and over 25’000 subscribers. Is this an accurate reflection of her bass playing skill? Would a middle aged balding fat guy playing these covers have the same level of interest?

Jade herself is not to blame for this of course. I’m just using her as an example of why female bass players may appear to be less skilled than guys. It’s because many of the female bass players that get exposure are attractive as opposed to talented.

I think Basschat is a much more objective environment than Youtube though. If you saw last month’s composition competition you will have seen that Spacechick came a very commendable second. This was a blind listening test and nothing whatsoever to do with image. Her piece was successful because of the popularity of her composition, nothing to do with what she looks like. This just goes to prove, that when everything else is put to one side. In our community, be you a girl or a guy… it’s the quality of your playing that really counts.

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372753838' post='2129401']
I cant see what the problem is when guys say they like the look of female bass players. I mean, the playing is all important, but Im a red blooded guy. I cant look at a female bass player and not check her out. You do it without thinking. Obviously a girl who is good looking and talented becomes even more attractive because she has looks AND ability. If Im being sexist, I apologise, but I really am not trying to be. I appreciate the music, but if the girl playing is attractive. All the better :blush:
[/quote]

The difference is the way that you have said it. Telling a female musician that you find her attractive and that she is talented is very different from toilet mouthed innuendo and sexist comments that aren't welcomed.

Could we please keep this thread focused on tone and ability.

If you feel the need to be offended, or fancy being offended on someone else's behalf, then could I respectfully ask you to keep it away from my thread and direct it at the manufacturers of Big Muff pedals.

CB

I'm afraid there might be some misunderstanding within this thread on what constitutes sexism.
In my opinion, a male appreciating an attractive female playing an instrument that is not traditionally linked with females is not sexist, and joking within the frame of a shared knowledge about the sad, sexist history of mankind certainly can't be either, I'd believe.

That said, one can well be appreciative of other people's feelings and other people's reference frames when writing, so I'm not trying to say each and every remark should be applauded.

That said, this was to be about the tone in that recording, and we should go back to it.

b,
b

Edit: written before seeing CB's last post

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='AussieBassman' timestamp='1372770652' post='2129680']
Are you a racist?
[/quote]

No , are you ?

Brazilians are not a race , they are a nationality made up of many different races . To be racist I would have had to single out one particular race or ethnic group of Brazilians as being particulaly suitable for domestic service . Here in the U.K , due to changes in immigration laws in the late 1990's/early 2000's , there has been a very significant increase in people from Brazil coming to live and work in this country , many of whom gravitate towards working in domestic service . That is an issue of fact .

Back on topic...

I found it refreshing to see a bassist not clutching the neck like they're hanging on for dear life. I've never understood how anyone can play that way. In violin playing we call it "pan-handle". Is there a similar term for (electric) bassists?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372771260' post='2129696']

No , are you ?

Brazilians are not a race , they are a nationality made up of many different races . To be racist I would have had to single out one particular race or ethnic group of Brazilians as being particulaly suitable for domestic service . Here in the U.K , due to changes in immigration laws in the late 1990's/early 2000's , there has been a very significant increase in people from Brazil coming to live and work in this country , many of whom gravitate towards working in domestic service . That is an issue of fact .
[/quote]
So, the usual racist bull. Your race isn't mine so you're inferior. How many repetitions does it take?

... sigh

Can we PLEASE drop the sexism/racism and anyother bloody "ism" discussion before we have to start dishing out warning/locking threads?

Please note that this isn't a threat, it's a request. I'm having a bad day and I don't need crap on BC too :lol:

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372772711' post='2129729']
I thought it was about bass playing and having fun, c'mon guys, a lot of these statements are being taken too seriously , life's too short an aw that
[/quote]

I was actually replying to discreet but I suppose my comment also applies to the in-between post.

Why have there been no women on the moon? Cos it don't need cleaning yet. What's the easiest way to get the top off a beer bottle? There isn't one, it should already be open when she gives it to you. Etc etc etc ..

This is basically what basschat becomes whenever a female bassist is shown on a video or a photo. Ooh I wish I was that top horn! She wear that bass too high and I cant see, etc etc etc.

f***ing pathetic really innit. Bernard lives.

Edited by xilddx