Why become a member? ×

This girl bassist is toned!

cloudburst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzmV7SXED5A

Nice tone she's getting from a .... what?

Looks like a Warwick Corvette, but the pickup spacing looks greater than any of the double buck Corvettes I've seen.

And how's she getting this tone from it? I'm rubbish at identifying tone; does it sound like there's anything else in her signal chain?

What other basses do you reckon would get closest to this?

CB

It sounds like a typical parrallel - wired MM style humbucker with a really nice focus and slight upper - mid rasp from the E.Q . Warwick did a fantastic job when they designed that MEC MM - style pickup - it's just about the best on the market , in my opinion . As always , the fact that she is a good player helps a lot , too . The good news , Gary , is that you should be able to get a very close approximation of that sound with your HH Bongo using the E.Q and the balance control .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372617666' post='2127772']
...you should be able to get a very close approximation of that sound with your HH Bongo using the E.Q and the balance control .
[/quote]
Thx - I sensed that may be the answer - but didn't really want to put words in anyone's mouth. Must have a try at this tomorrow night. :-)

CB

Edited by cloudburst

The pickups look narrower than standard MEC M-style pups; the coils look closer together. That may account for the larger gap between the two pups.

But the body looks contoured more than a standard Corvette, on the front upper edge. Almost like a Streamette or Infinette.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1372619522' post='2127799']
The pickups look narrower than standard MEC M-style pups; the coils look closer together. That may account for the larger gap between the two pups.

But the body looks contoured more than a standard Corvette, on the front upper edge. Almost like a Streamette or Infinette.
[/quote] her face also is squashed. the video is squashed ;)

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1372685601' post='2128507']
But can she make a sandwich?
[/quote]

She's Brazilian ( I think ) - they usually make pretty good domestic servants .

Edited by Dingus

Checking out the comments on youtube lol - [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSphiggy"]MrSphiggy[/url] [url="http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=72OBMaXnACMdvEuz9e1oE5_yZ5gsfzBWdzhNAYLKR84"] 4 days ago [/url]

her hands would make my wiener look huge!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1372685241' post='2128495']
The tone sounds similar to a Wal.
[/quote]
Aaaaaaargh.
Not what I wanted to hear.
Yet exactly what I wanted to hear.
Chequebook well and truly OUT. Hit me with your Wals any prospective ex-Wal-owners.

CB

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1372688263' post='2128571']
It's not hard to see why the number of active female members on Basschat can be counted on one hand...
[/quote]

Yes , I agree . It would be very hard to find a good female servant on Basschat , even if you advertised in the Wanted section . There just aren't sufficient numbers .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372688876' post='2128584']

Yes , I agree . It would be very hard to find a good female servant on Basschat , even if you advertised in the Wanted section . There just aren't sufficient numbers .
[/quote]

I'd serve anyone one of you..... Not with what you'd want with your misogyny mind ;)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1372690016' post='2128611']
I'd serve anyone one of you..... Not with what you'd want with your misogyny mind ;)
[/quote]

I'm not a misogynist . I'm just a very , very attractive man who needs a cleaner .

That sounds even worse , doesn't it ?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1372616910' post='2127761']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzmV7SXED5A[/media]

Nice tone she's getting from a .... what?

Looks like a Warwick Corvette, but the pickup spacing looks greater than any of the double buck Corvettes I've seen.

And how's she getting this tone from it? I'm rubbish at identifying tone; does it sound like there's anything else in her signal chain?

What other basses do you reckon would get closest to this?

CB
[/quote]

With the right strings, compression, messing around with parametric eq, playing hard by the bridge, having a bit of nail attack, most basses will do it. Just get a POD man, you can get most sounds you can dream of with one of them. I had comments on my Corvette $$ that it sounded more like a R*********** than a R***********. It was just me using a POD trying to get a Chris Squire tone, and it was coming out my little studio monitors and recorded on a little digi camera. I've done the same with a home build, a Streamer and now my Jazz, passive and active.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372697265' post='2128750']
With the right strings, compression, messing around with parametric eq, playing hard by the bridge, having a bit of nail attack, most basses will do it. Just get a POD man, you can get most sounds you can dream of with one of them. I had comments on my Corvette $$ that it sounded more like a R*********** than a R***********. It was just me using a POD trying to get a Chris Squire tone, and it was coming out my little studio monitors and recorded on a little digi camera. I've done the same with a home build, a Streamer and now my Jazz, passive and active.
[/quote]
I'm hopeless at effects. I know nothing. I only own an OC-2, bought when they first came out (which I only use with fretless) and a Mad Professor Forest Green Compressor. Which POD is best to get?

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1372700065' post='2128793']
I'm hopeless at effects. I know nothing. I only own an OC-2, bought when they first came out (which I only use with fretless) and a Mad Professor Forest Green Compressor. Which POD is best to get?

CB
[/quote]

If you REALLY want certain tones you have to work at it. I still know naff all about parametric eq, but I mess about with a 4 band para and have learned enough to get me what I need.

I have a POD X3 Live. It saves a fortune on amps and cabs and sh*t :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1372632566' post='2128027']her face also is squashed. the video is squashed ;)[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]I'm guessing this may be closer to reality...[/size]

[size=4][/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1372688263' post='2128571']
It's not hard to see why the number of active female members on Basschat can be counted on one hand...
[/quote]

Just what I was thinking...

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1372702037' post='2128830']
Just what I was thinking...
[/quote]

I agree , too . Time and again on this site people ( males ) go daft over any half - decent looking woman who happens to play the bass . Have they never seen a woman before ? More's to the point , why would them having a bass in their hands make them so irresistable ? I would be seriously put off any girl who played the bass - it's just not very alluring. I like to see a woman with a hoover or a saucepan in her hands rather than a bass , then I know she is in her element and I feel happy for her .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372704361' post='2128877']...I would be seriously put off any girl who played the bass - it's just not very alluring. I like to see a woman with a hoover or a saucepan in her hands rather than a bass, then I know she is in her element and I feel happy for her.[/quote]

Ouch! Calling Spacechick, Bluejay, Evil Undead! :lol: