Why become a member? ×

Any Mayones Jabba love around?

MisterFingers

How do they compare with other Jazz's from the likes of Sandberg and Clover? I'm kind of looking for a new JB in their price ranges. Not too taken with feel of the Fender US Jazz's I've tried recently, and I can't afford a Sadowsky or custom job from the likes of Lull, Shuker or Overwater. Or Fender CS. The Mayones look very well built and i'm interested in the Delano pick-up/Glockeklang pre-amp combo.
Any thoughts folks?

Wow, i like very much, i've never heard of this bass before. I've read the word 'Jabba' but didn't know the make.
They look really nice and lots of choice options (sunburst and sonic blue my faves), there is a YouTube channel link from the site, maybe have a look at that and see if there are any online reviews from owners.

Yup, they look great - there's a video demo on YT, and it's a German review, but from what I can understand he's just going over the features rather than giving an honest appraisal - but it does sound like the dogs proverbials. Price-wise they are in the Fender US Deluxe/Sandberg California/Clover Apeirion range, but there's no Jabbas here locally for a test run. :gas:

My main gigging bass is a white passive Jabba that I got from Mark at Bass Direct. Actually, I wanted an active ‘super jazz’ but like you, I couldn’t really afford the £2k plus for a s/h Sadowsky, Lull, Xotic or whatever. I put in a East J Retro Deluxe and then took it to Jon Shuker who fitted Bartolini pick-ups, a Schaller 2000 bridge, a brass nut and a customised thumb rest. Basically, I got the bass I wanted and saved the best part of a grand!

The reason I picked the Jabba is because it is a [b]very[/b] well put together bass, far better than my Fender Jazz. The build quality is fantastic and to be honest, it was very good in its original passive state when I first got it (apart from the rather cheap bridge). I just used it as starting point for my own 'custom bass' and it turned out great! If only it had a quarter-sawn neck and that rigidity that, say an Xotic has, then it would be just about perfect…

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1372191457' post='2122756']
My main gigging bass is a white passive Jabba that I got from Mark at Bass Direct. Actually, I wanted an active ‘super jazz’ but like you, I couldn’t really afford the £2k plus for a s/h Sadowsky, Lull, Xotic or whatever. I put in a East J Retro Deluxe and then took it to Jon Shuker who fitted Bartolini pick-ups, a Schaller 2000 bridge, a brass nut and a customised thumb rest. Basically, I got the bass I wanted and saved the best part of a grand!

The reason I picked the Jabba is because it is a [b]very[/b] well put together bass, far better than my Fender Jazz. The build quality is fantastic and to be honest, it was very good in its original passive state when I first got it (apart from the rather cheap bridge). I just used it as starting point for my own 'custom bass' and it turned out great! If only it had a quarter-sawn neck and that rigidity that, say an Xotic has, then it would be just about perfect…
[/quote]

Thanks for that Pete - that's the kind of insight that i need. I spent an hour today in a local shop trying out 5 different Jazzers - 2 Sandberg California Tm's, a Fender US Standard, Deluxe and a Select - just to get some idea of the rival players. How did you find the Jabba's extra 4mm width compared to your Fender Jazz? That's probably my main concern TBH.

[quote name='MisterFingers' timestamp='1372196175' post='2122847']
Thanks for that Pete - that's the kind of insight that i need. I spent an hour today in a local shop trying out 5 different Jazzers - 2 Sandberg California Tm's, a Fender US Standard, Deluxe and a Select - just to get some idea of the rival players. How did you find the Jabba's extra 4mm width compared to your Fender Jazz? That's probably my main concern TBH.
[/quote]
Personally I prefer it to the traditional Fender jazz neck, but then I again I started out on 70s Fender P basses and had been mainly playing Warwicks in the years before I got the two jazz basses.

When I bought the Mayones, I did try out a Sandberg and a Clover in the shop but much preferred the Jabba. I also have a Fender Am Std Jazz (also made active and pimped out a bit like the Mayones) that I quite often take out on gigs. The Fender is a decent bass but I would say that the Jabba is put together better, lighter and has a nicer feel….

Edited by peteb

Well, resistance was futile to Mayones GAS, and I am expecting the arrival of a Jabba 4 on Tuesday. Fortunately, MissusFingers will not be at home and I will be...which is a relief. I will put the blame firmly on Mark S at Bass Direct for his convincing and in-depth sales pitch should there be any domestic er.."discussions" in the future.
Summer holiday is now in a tent on a midge infested peatbog. :blush:

The Jabba 4 arrived yesterday, so I've had time for us to get used to one another. It is very well made and is the at least the equal of the £1800 Fender Select I played last week. It's also the heaviest J-Bass I've held, but I don't mind, although the balance is a tad to the headstock side. The Delano pups seem to be very clean, so it doesn't get that vintage J sound with the tone rolled off, but I have a very good Squier VMJ which nails that sound anyway. The active control section switches in a slightly different tonal balance which is nice, even with the controls flat. The amount of different tones I can get out of this bass is great - I bought it for recording and even DI'ed straight into a line level pre-amp it's perfect - even tones all over, no buzzes, dead spots or undue fret click. The sustain is incredible. The slightly wider fretboard has been no problem to adjust to. A very precise and tight sounding bass which can go BIG if wanted.
All in all I'm pretty damn chuffed with it. :happy: Phew.

• 3 years later...

Just received an 08 Jabba 4 as a trade against a USA jazz. I just love this instrument. It oozes high build quality. The one I have is passive with Delano big-pole pickups and a series parallel switch. It has a great midrange punch and does what you'd expect a jazz to do. It's a bit 'dark' sounding compared to a jazz but that suits me fine. The neck is just the business. Slightly fatter than a jazz but thinner than a p bass. The hardware in general is top quality and the bass in general feels as solid as granite.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1477935313' post='3165385']
Probably starting to sound like a scratched record, but if I was looking for a reasonably priced super Jazz I'd be heading for one of these babies.
Don't think you need to speak Spanish to get the picture...

https://youtu.be/QVn98C9F-tI
[/quote]

Ooh I like that, ¡me gusta mucho! Lol