Why become a member? ×

How thick is a business card ?

Dingus

I'm trying to set up a bass this evening and the manufacturer's website says they usually allow "about a the depth of business card "of relief in the neck . I don't have any business cards on hand , and wondered if anybody knows how much that translates to in fractions of a millimeter , as I do have a precision ruler .

Edited by Dingus

Card 'thickness' is measured in grams per square metre. The higher the gsm value, usually the thicker the card. There is only a direct correlation when considering a particular sample of product though, such as Ivory board for example. Some card is textured, and will therefore be slightly thicker than a non-textured card of the same gsm value, providing the card used in each is of equivalent density prior to texturing. Then there is the way in which the card has been manufactured............. ever wish you hadn't bothered starting something? :unsure:

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1371921727' post='2119673']
Card 'thickness' is measured in grams per square metre. The higher the gsm value, usually the thicker the card. There is only a direct correlation when considering a particular sample of product though, such as Ivory board for example. Some card is textured, and will therefore be slightly thicker than a non-textured card of the same gsm value, providing the card used in each is of equivalent density prior to texturing. Then there is the way in which the card has been manufactured............. ever wish you hadn't bothered starting something? :unsure:
[/quote]

I'll get some feeler gauges ...

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1371920821' post='2119649']
Depends whether it is an expensive laminated one, or a cheapo vistaprint* one.

*Other business card makers are available.
[/quote]

A 12pt one mentioned above is about 260gsm, which is puny for a business card. Should really be a minimum of 350gsm or 16pt. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1371922491' post='2119686']
A euphemism, surely? :huh:
[/quote]1

It could indeed be a short step from business card relief to executive relief . With some basses you deserve a "reward " for the amount of work it is to get them set up properly !

Gsm on its own is not really an accurate indicator of thickness. The thickness (or caliper) of paper or board can vary quite dramatically for a given grammage (gsm), depending on its density. Where caliper isn't given, grammage and bulk would normally be given in order to give an indication of thickness. In some uses (e.g. book production) things are further complicated by the fact that the measured caliper value for multiple sheets tends to be less than what would be predicted from a single sheet measurement.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1371852121' post='2118934']
I'm trying to set up a bass this evening and the manufacturer's website says they usually allow "about a the depth of business card "of relief in the neck . I don't have any business cards on hand , and wondered if anybody knows how much that translates to in fractions of a millimeter , as I do have a precision ruler .
[/quote]
no no no no no.....
you can't have fractions of a millimetre..
fractions are related to Imperial measurement ie
1/4" etc,
millimetres are metric so you MUST use a decimal point such as 0.5

Phew

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1371936546' post='2119927']
no no no no no.....
you can't have fractions of a millimetre..
fractions are related to Imperial measurement ie
1/4" etc,
millimetres are metric so you MUST use a decimal point such as 0.5

Phew
[/quote]

So you wouldn't allow .5 inches? Or allow engineering draftsmen to specify measurements in thousands of an inch? Decimals and metric aren't the same, they are both an unholy alliance but by different devils.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1371937092' post='2119934']

So you wouldn't allow .5 inches? Or allow engineering draftsmen to specify measurements in thousands of an inch? Decimals and metric aren't the same, they are both an unholy alliance but by different devils.
[/quote]
I am an engineer , thats why I nearly choked on my Pino Grog when I read it.
but yes its not as straight forward as my initial outburst may suggest :)

Edited by keeponehandloose