Why become a member? ×

Neck profiles - could use some help :)

Evil Undead

I've been having some wrist pain when playing bass (one injury too many), and as much as I hate to say it, my lovely Precision bass isn't helping that.

I've also got an Ibanez SR, but I feel a bit cramped on that, especially below the 4th fret or so. I find myself wrapping my thumb over the top due to the exceptionally skinny profile giving me cramp, which is not a good technique and a terrible habit to get into!

What I'm wondering is, firstly, is the skinniness of the SR neck something I would get used to after a while? I did manage to play for a couple of hours yesterday without wrist pain, but my hand started to ache afterwards.

Plus the lower horn of the SR really digs into my leg... most annoying.

Does anyone know how the current MIA Jazz neck compares with the SR? I understand that the nut is the same width but I'm not sure about the profile. Would a little extra depth give me what I'm looking for, or am I just destined to have discomfort whatever I play?

Thanks in advance.

If you like your p bass, try the nate mendel signature, it is a standard p bass width but has a ridiculously thin profile. It felt great to my hands, which are small, so I know what you are going through. My main bass is a Mexican jazz and it feels quite natural, and there are others that will fit well outside the fender family. If you are in pain there is something wrong, so seek some medical advice on that, and maybe take a break and let things settle down.
Have you considered a short scale?
How did you get on with the Aria??

The recent MIA neck profile is , in my opinion , slightly on the fatter side for a Jazz Bass . I haven't played an Ibanez SR so I can't make any comparison , but I do know that they have famously skinny neck profiles and are often favoured by folks with very small hands . What I do know is for certain is that the neck profile on the recent Am St . Jazz Basses is a great compromise between the classic slimness of an early60's Jazz and the slightly more meaty 70's profile . It would be well worth trying one out if you can , along with a few other Jazz Basses to get an idea of how the various profiles suit you . A lot of Jazz necks are not quite as skinny as you might think , they only seem that way to people used to big chunky Precision necks . The neck profile on your Am St Precision is pretty slim for a P Bass with a significantly narrower nut width than most examples , so maybe a Jazz would be a good transition if you are having hand problems . If it is an injury that's the cause of the problem , however , then it may be that any neck profile won't neccesarilly stop the discomfort , so be aware of that before you start throwing money about .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1371473651' post='2114224']Plus the lower horn of the SR really digs into my leg... most annoying.[/quote]

Does this mean that you do most of your playing in a sitting position? Could that be a factor? I know that I find it much more awkward when I play sitting down...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1371480693' post='2114356']
Does this mean that you do most of your playing in a sitting position? Could that be a factor? I know that I find it much more awkward when I play sitting down...
[/quote]

This is an important point IMO.

OP, while there is no doubt that some people find it more [b]comfortable [/b]to play either a jazz or precision neck, pain should not be a factor when playing either neck size. Perhaps your technique, stance, height you wear the bass, sitting (slouching) on a soft couch when playing, etc., could be a factor.

While there are no rules as such, it is generally accepted that wearing the bass at about belt buckle height is an ideal compromise. Also, the bass should be at the same height when both sitting and standing and the strap should be worn even when sitting. Idealy, the latter should be on a chair with a back on it. Both wrists should be as straight as possible.

OP, welcome back :)

If I recall rightly weren't you the lass that posted a few months ago about how you have been through a load of basses in recent years in an attempt to sort out wrist pain / comfort issues?

If it is you, then my suggestion would be that, if you havent already, you would be best served by trying to sort out the underlying wrist problem first - having been through something similar I can say that I don't think the fix lies with an endless succession of different basses. Sure, neck profiles are different and are a personal thing, but I think that you'd be better served getting some advice/physio re your wrist first.

I don't think your question can really be answered by folks on a forum, as your health issues are specific to you and can't really be answered by others. What suits me will not necessarily suit you etc.

Hope you don't mind me talking you down from a possible new purchase, its just that IME the root of the problem lies elsewhere. OTOH, if you just wanna GAS for a new bass, then go right ahead & please post pics !! ;)

Sounds like you've got a very similar wrist to me!

I find a P not too bad, so long as I'm not playing anything too busy. The Ibanez necks I can't cope with at all - pain within 10 minutes usually. I find a narrow fretboard with a moderately deep neck best for me - my old 2005 Warwick was great, nearly as good is my current Epi T-bird pro. Both though put the headstock a long way away!

I really want to go back to a decent P and from what I've read the Warmoth J with standard profile should be somewhere between the Warwick and the Epi.

Incidentally, I've just seen a Mighty Mite jazz neck on ebay for less than £70. Could be worth trying one at that price and if it helps your wrist, sell the original P neck?

Hi there.
I'm in similar situation as I bought an American Special Jazz neck for my ongoing P project. On paper I thought it would be what I wanted but it is very slim front to back and it gives me cramps combined with the skinny nut width. Really wish I'd got the Am Special Precision neck as I like the front to back thinness but need a wider neck.
What do you find uncomfortable about your Precision? Is it's the chunky neck front to back? (I personally find the Am standards on the chunky side - I had an Am Standard jazz) If so, the American special P may suit you better due to it's slimness front to back.
Is it the width of the neck giving you probs? Try an Am Standard Jazz neck for it's thin nut width but chunky depth. Sometimes a bit of girth will stop some people from cramping up as it can help keep the hand relaxed by not pinching the thumb and fingers too close together.
I'd avoid the Am Special jazz in your case as that's very much like an Ibby sr.

Hand cramps are a bummer for sure. I hope you get sorted soon.

Edit: Mickster is right, get professional medical/physio advice pronto, as this, more than anything will help you make the right decision here.
Best of luck,

Si.

Edited by miles'tone

Not to be presumptuous about the way you play but check out this vid. Great advice regarding left hand technique. I was playing for 20 years and it still helped me iron out some issues. Maybe it can help you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkSsapYYsA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by miles'tone

I realise you may have some underlying problems with your wrist but may I suggest you try out one of the Pawn Shop Mustangs? Short scale, supremely comfortable neck, larger than an SR, more of a Jazz profile and an excellent humbucker pickup that kicks bottom.

I've had wrist/hand problems for years and have tried almost every bass out there, having bought and sold nearly FOURTY in the past seven years, all second hand I might add, so I never really lost anything, but it did me a great chance to try them all out for a few months at a time.

Here is a list of some of the basses I have owned:
Precisions (USA/CIJ/MIM), Jazzes (USA/MIM), Warwick Corvettes, Ibanez SR500, Ibanez SR1200 Premium, Musicman Sterling, plus many more.

I like the sound and vibe of the precisions the best, but found the width of the neck a nightmare for my arthritic hands,
The Jazzes played great, but the sound just didn’t do it for me.
The Warwick Corvettes are beautifully put together, and sounded great, but two had really skinny necks, more like an Ibanez SR, but one had a really chunky deep neck but with a 38mm nut width, it felt great to play, but unfortunately, it was made of bubinga and weighed a ton, so I had to pass it on.
The Ibanez SR’s are lovely, but the necks are a bit too skinny, but certainly worth a try.
The Musicman Sterling just did not feel right at all, and my hand cramped up.

So because I prefer the Precisions, I decided to purchase an American model about a year ago, I got myself a "Mighty Mite" Jazz neck with a rosewood board from “BlueBass” on eBay, stuck it on, and now I have my dream bass.

It plays like a Jazz, but still sounds like a Precision. Perfect! :i-m_so_happy:

Mighty Mite necks are great IMO, and for around £100, it can make a massive difference to your playing experience.

If you do take this route, make sure you keep the original neck, just in case you do want to sell it on.

Although a confirmed Precision nutter, my go-to bass has had a Jazz neck on it for some months now. It is so much nicer.
So I only have one P neck left, and I'm trying to swap that too.
Significant reduction in strain in my left hand. Also have Mustang, and that too is good, maybe TOO small. The new Alien acoustic has a great Jazz-like profile too, and the Kingman actually has a Jazz neck. It's helped me a lot, this neck change!

I had a Mustang for a while - nice enough, but I felt so cramped on it. So I don't think I'll go for a short scale.

Scale-wise, 34" seems fine for me if I'm sitting down. But when I stand up, the bass hangs further to the left and makes the scale a bit long.

But, since I only play at home now, and sitting down (that answers a question above!), I don't think that's a massive issue.

I was playing my Fender P again last night and the neck is just too wide for me. The width of this Ibanez is perfect, but front to back is too thin, so I'm going to definitely consider the jazz neck thing. Might put one on my Squier CV.

Might also get a jazz pickup fitted as well whilst I'm at it ;)