Why become a member? ×

Playing to a band in Eb standard tuning.

Prime_BASS

The band I am in have taken the decision to tune to Eb, the difference is small but makes singing for us both a lot easier and the tone on guitar helps fill out some noise.

My issue is my stringing options and whats best. At first I just detuned my bass down a half step, losing lots of definition and punch really. So I have gone for the next gauges up to counter the lack of tension. Currently on D'arddario's 110-85-65-50. The punch and clarity is back but they feel weird to play with and playing along to tracks that aren't turned to Eb become difficult when it requires open strings. Also they are bit more difficult to play.

I could string back to regular strings and transpose stuff from standard tuning, but again that it'll become difficult when I have to substitute a low Eb for the next possible one up.

My next thought is stringing B-E-A-D, losing the high G wont really lose much for me as I can only think of one of my Bands songs that really need it, and playing to tracks will be just as easy as before.

My only worry is the tonality of a low B in my band along with possibly ruining a nut for the sake of trying.

I don't think I want to carry on using the set that is on as they really do need a bit more attack.

Both bands I play in tune half a step down. I use the same strings as I used when tuned to concert pitch. The difference in tension is minimal, I've found. A small tweak of the truss rod may be in order, that's all

Sounds like you need a main bass in Eb and a second one that you can use in regular and tune down to take as a spare. I think you'll get used to the feel thing as you get the hours in.

As MoJo said, I think dropping half a step will have nominal effect on the feel and tension.

Try it at the next rehearsal and see. If it's a big deal, try and find some strings with a higher tension than your current ones and then the half step down will balance it out.

One of my bands plays half a step down - like yours, for the singer - so I keep a couple of basses tuned like that all the time. Never really noticed an issue over the string tension, and we play a couple of tracks that have a drop D in them, too. I learn stuff by ear so play along to it on a bass tuned normally then it is simple to replicate the playing position on a detuned bass. Not very technical but it works ok for me. A lot tunes might use, say, an open E a lot and I think that would not only be more difficult to play if you have a 5er strung normally but also change the timbre of the note, too.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1371419281' post='2113796']
As MoJo said, I think dropping half a step will have nominal effect on the feel and tension.

Try it at the next rehearsal and see. If it's a big deal, try and find some strings with a higher tension than your current ones and then the half step down will balance it out.
[/quote]

I'd already tried this. I used 105-80-60-45 and they sounded ok and the difference ill admit in a mix is negligible, but I can notice and that's enough to change for me. That and the feel wasn't really the same.

So I went up a gauge and the tension and sound are better, but the feel is weird due to how large the strings are, that coupled with the unwanted strain tuning back up to E standard will bring is bit off putting.

I did try stringing B to D, and the tonality or timbre is off, enough to make me cringe.

Started looking at a backup for keeping in E standard to play to regular stuff at home, but again that's gping to be expensive.

Sounds like an awful lot of trouble for one semitone.

Does it really make that much difference to the guitar sound? Is it worth it if the bass sounds worse then it did in standard tuning?

Might it not be easier in the long run if your vocalists just practiced hitting the higher notes more?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371464874' post='2114082']

Does it really make that much difference to the guitar sound? Is it worth it if the bass sounds worse then it did in standard tuning?

Might it not be easier in the long run if your vocalists just practiced hitting the higher notes more?
[/quote]

+1

Also, what about a drop D tuning thingy for just the E string?

[/quote]

I agree, a lot of work for not a lot of gain. Although we are making adjustments for each others needs, and this is just one of them.

The singer can very much hit the notes, nothing very rarely gets too high but he is now essentially playing lead guitar aswell as lead vocals which I think we can all appreciate is a bit difficult.

Top lad to bertbass who has suggested a capo. I believe I'm competent enough to just play songs I know a fret higher and the capo solves the low E problem.

[/quote]

I agree, a lot of work for not a lot of gain. Although we are making adjustments for each others needs, and this is just one of them.

The singer can very much hit the notes, nothing very rarely gets too high but he is now essentially playing lead guitar aswell as lead vocals which I think we can all appreciate is a bit difficult.

Top lad to bertbass who has suggested a capo. I believe I'm competent enough to just play songs I know a fret higher and the capo solves the low E problem.

Lots of classic music has been recorded in e flat tunings using fairly light strings (Hendrix being an obvious example, and Sabbath were/are tuning to C sharp). I would suggest just getting used to the different feel, whether it is the 45-105 set or 50-110. I used to use 40-95 for standard, but now I use 50-110 for standard tuning. After a bit of practice you get used to it.