Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland!!!

leschirons

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369917272' post='2094422']
I'm unsure if you're taking the mickey ...... but ...... having seen the kinda stuff you play, I guess you might not be. Cool band BTW yours is.

I like 'em anyway and redheads rock.
[/quote]

Thanks! And I was being totally serious. I realise we rarely see eye to eye when it comes to basses, so I wanted to thank you for pointing some great music my way.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1369914541' post='2094345']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Deep valley are different and a bit out there.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Really? I thought they were great but also I come across lots of bands doing the vocals, one guitar and drums thing at the moment, so it's fairly common-place for me.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369950015' post='2094967']
Thanks! And I was being totally serious. I realise we rarely see eye to eye when it comes to basses, so I wanted to thank you for pointing some great music my way.

[/quote]

Cool. Shows the power of social media. A Facebook chum of mine saw them on telly in The States a few months back and sent me that link. I love that song. I didn't know if they did or didn't have an album. I will now go looking for that.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1369942305' post='2094838']
Last time they were on it was with Lou Reed and it was like the emperors new clothes. It was f***in dreadful!
[/quote]

I think I (deliberately) missed that one, I saw them around the 1996 Load era and then 2008 Death Magnetic era.

That Lou Reed project was quite awful.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1370105285' post='2096525']
I really liked Lou Reed and Metallica when they were on. I thought they were doing something totally unique.
[/quote]
Unique as in the sound of a suit of armour falling down 10 flights of stairs.

Most bands can't replicate that but they succeeded.

Quite liked this weeks actually, the poet chap was excellent, more of that please. That is why Jools Holland is still worth watching. I honestly struggle to think of another TV show, or indeed any media outlet where you could see a young poet reciting intelligent, well crafted verse in a lovely lyrical drawl, and then cut to Liam Gallagher, a man whose entire musical career could be ended at any time by over the counter sinus medication.

Re: Deap Vally, they are quite possibly the most important band in the world at the moment. Not for the music, good god no, bland, insipid mulch every single song, but somebody has managed to extract Quentin Tarantino's thoughts and manifest them physically as a female generic rock duo. I for one find that spectacular.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1370117642' post='2096707']
\\

I think it was very badly put. Two talented young girls don't need to be dissed.
[/quote]
Regardless of gender, this over-excitable dross has been done to death.

Edited by Cyrene

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1370120477' post='2096747']

Re: Deap Vally, they are quite possibly the most important band in the world at the moment. Not for the music, good god no, bland, insipid mulch every single song, but somebody has managed to extract Quentin Tarantino's thoughts and manifest them physically as a female generic rock duo. I for one find that spectacular.
[/quote]
Exactly.

I watch Jools regularly for the variety and bands I've not encountered thus far. I've bought several CDs as a result of the show.

Beady Eye - not my cup of tea, but still interestingly different enough from Oasis
Miguel - A cross between James Brown & Prince in my eyes but at least he has a personality and sells the music
KT Tunstall - Wonderful voice
OMD - Lovely slice of 80s electronica, nice to hear it again
Deep Valley - I'm going to listen some more as they defiinitely grabbed my attention
Poet George - Great, more of this I think would be good

Just my thoughts...the OP may be a bit harsh in his opinions, but it's a free world (ish). I have tried to bring my kids up with the general view that there's no 'bad' music, just things you like less than other things and to keep an open mind.

Jools is always a mixed bag for me. Though I have been [i]challenged[/i] a few times and have followed a few bands up. Thankfully, though I love the nostalgia, it is good to have the mix of old and new. In fact our band do a cover of the cover that Ben L'Oncle Soul do of a White Stripes number - Seven Nation Army.

I'll state the obvious and feel that Deap Vally seem to be a rip-off of the White Stripes. I did enjoy John Grant from the week before. I was happily surprised to see QOTSA on there. And we still have the Alice Cooper show on the PVR to revisit.

Must admit I thought it was going to be the weakest show yet when I flicked through the recording until I sat and listened properly last night.

I though Poet George was great, and, once I got past the Oasis singer I really liked Beady Eye. Very professional, interesting arrangements and I'm always impressed by a 4 piece horn section.

I cannot be impressed by OMD, no matter how hard I try and I couldn't listen to Deep Vally all the way through either of their songs. Miguel had some good players and arrangements, wouldn't mind being able to play in a band like that. KT is great, although more my wife's thing than mine.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1370245430' post='2097907']
Jools is always a mixed bag for me. Though I have been [i]challenged[/i] a few times and have followed a few bands up. Thankfully, though I love the nostalgia, it is good to have the mix of old and new. In fact our band do a cover of the cover that Ben L'Oncle Soul do of a White Stripes number - Seven Nation Army.[/quote]

For me, thats what Jools is all about and why I record it, then I can skip through the songs that breach my taste filter. Discovered Seasick Steve (got 3 of his albums now and off to see him at the Larmer Tree in July), Rumer, Little Jackie (that was the wife but album still on the car iPod) and probably a couple of others that are not popping into my Monday morning brain at the moment.

[quote]
I'll state the obvious and feel that Deap Vally seem to be a rip-off of the White Stripes. I did enjoy John Grant from the week before. I was happily surprised to see QOTSA on there. And we still have the Alice Cooper show on the PVR to revisit.
[/quote]

They are like early Black Keys (with rougher vocals IMHO) but I liked them (but then I like The Black Keys). Now I like QOTSA but thought they were rather poor on their latest Jools appearance but there you go.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1370245430' post='2097907']

I'll state the obvious and feel that Deap Vally seem to be a rip-off of the White Stripes.
[/quote]

It wasn't just me then. I could hardly tell the difference, gender aside.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1370261399' post='2098176']
It wasn't just me then. I could hardly tell the difference, gender aside.
[/quote]

Yeah you can, Meg couldn't drum to save her life, bless her.

Edited by ead

Think that the only good things on this weeks show (IMNSHO) were OMD and KT Tunstall.

Actually really liked John Grant from last weeks show - so much so that I bought the album.

Apart from that, the BBC needs shows like ...Later, to save us from the banality that is the top 40!!!