Why become a member? ×

Looking to add a Ramp to my Warwick, opinions needed!

Bill

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hi Guys, had a big realization and inspiration last night to add a ramp to my 5 string Warwick streamer! for tone, dynamics, and other benefits! does anyone know the average cost's for this sort of upgrade? (depending on the wood obviously) which is another thing i wanted your help on... what wood/s would look good on the body of my Warwick?[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq4UlgwoA8Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq4UlgwoA8Y[/url]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Any help/advice/opinions would be hugely appreciated from experienced 'rampers' and non 'rampers' haha![/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks in advance.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Bill.[/font][/color]

Where do you want it to go? Between the pickups?
I'd try to source some Wenge that matches the fretboard.

The next question would be:

How are you going to fix it to the bass?

Does it need to be adjustable- if so, it'll likely need screwing to the body somehow.
Otherwise, consider the Gary Willis method- double-sided tape!

As I don't slap, I'd love a ramp that was simply a continuation of the fretboard, and ran right from the leading edge of the bridge pickup to the fretboard. Difficult on your W because of the way the fretboard blends into the body.

Edit- it'll also be a pain to contour the underside to match the curve on the top face of the Streamer...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1369849272' post='2093495']
Where do you want it to go? Between the pickups?
I'd try to source some Wenge that matches the fretboard.

The next question would be:

How are you going to fix it to the bass?

Does it need to be adjustable- if so, it'll likely need screwing to the body somehow.
Otherwise, consider the Gary Willis method- double-sided tape!

As I don't slap, I'd love a ramp that was simply a continuation of the fretboard, and ran right from the leading edge of the bridge pickup to the fretboard. Difficult on your W because of the way the fretboard blends into the body.

Edit- it'll also be a pain to contour the underside to match the curve on the top face of the Streamer...
[/quote]

Hey man, thanks for the swift and informative reply, i'm definitely leaning more towards the double-sided tape idea, rather than screws!

Wenge is a good option i think! i was also thinking about Ebony, but have heard that its quite pricey! :/

The position i'd like would be between the pickups (so just one ramp) as i do tend to slap occasionally and wouldn't want anything to get in the way of that.

'Funkyhobbit' off BC had a ramp fitted to his Spector which has a similar convex top and it wasn't cheap to get it shaped to match (saying that it was a PJ set-up so more difficult). I'd go for maple to match the body (assuming it is between pups that you are going to place it) or wenge to match the fingerboard; wenge will be much pricier than maple though!

Just out of interest what 'tonal' benefits do you imagine a ramp will impart. I assume you mean from you being able to alter your left hand playing technique.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1369850845' post='2093538']
'Funkyhobbit' off BC had a ramp fitted to his Spector which has a similar convex top and it wasn't cheap to get it shaped to match (saying that it was a PJ set-up so more difficult). I'd go for maple to match the body (assuming it is between pups that you are going to place it) or wenge to match the fingerboard; wenge will be much pricier than maple though!

Just out of interest what 'tonal' benefits do you imagine a ramp will impart. I assume you mean from you being able to alter your left hand playing technique.
[/quote]

Thanks for your input mate! i had no idea that maple would be cheaper, i will consider that! if it looks ok! (only thing with my maple body is that because its 23 years old, it's faded/darkened in some ways so might be clashy with the clean fresh maple??)

here is a link that will explain the ramp benefit's etc!

[url="http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html"]http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html[/url]

[quote name='Bill' timestamp='1369851109' post='2093544']
here is a link that will explain the ramp benefit's etc!

[url="http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/theramp.html"]http://www.garywilli...al/theramp.html[/url]
[/quote]

Yep, I'm aware of what the ramp does but it is essentially a 4 string thumb/finger rest which when I have tried I have found myself frustrated with the restriction of full movement across the strings... it is a great thumb rest for the E string but never worked for me (tried it on two basses which came to me with one attached and I removed them, as well as FH's Spector which I tried). each to his own though! :D

In all likelihood, the labour tied up in the making of the ramp will be the greatest factor in its eventual cost.
Otherwise, I'd guess that in terms of cost, Maple < Wenge < Ebony.

But Ebony will come closest to matching the pickup cases, and feels really nice to the touch. (Good idea, I hadn't considered it!)

I wonder if it's possible to get the same resin that the pickup housings are made from, and use that?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1369851444' post='2093550']
Yep, I'm aware of what the ramp does but it is essentially a 4 string thumb/finger rest which when I have tried I have found myself frustrated with the restriction of full movement across the strings... it is a great thumb rest for the E string but never worked for me (tried it on two basses which came to me with one attached and I removed them, as well as FH's Spector which I tried). each to his own though! :D
[/quote]

It's something i definitely want to try! i feel it will really suit my playing style, and if i don't get on with it then atleast i'll have tried it and know.. but i'm certain its something i really want and would add a lot of comfort to my playing!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1369851590' post='2093551']
In all likelihood, the labour tied up in the making of the ramp will be the greatest factor in its eventual cost.
Otherwise, I'd guess that in terms of cost, Maple < Wenge < Ebony.

But Ebony will come closest to matching the pickup cases, and feels really nice to the touch. (Good idea, I hadn't considered it!)

I wonder if it's possible to get the same resin that the pickup housings are made from, and use that?
[/quote]

I'm waiting to hear back from a place in Bristol that build guitar's/does setup's/repairs etc, to see what they are going to quote on this.. i would ideally like Ebony wood.. just hope its not crazy expensive.. *fingers crossed*

If you check out Gary Willis' videos on youtube he goes through making a ramp from scratch for a marcus miller jazz bass. Doesn't look difficult, although I think it's a case of 'measure twice, cut once'! He does it out of scrap wood and covers it in sticky back plastic, but the theory is the same for a solid wood one.

Honestly i dont see any of the three woods mentioned costing that much at all. For the size you need offcuts would be fine.

As someone already mentioned it's the time involved in making it. Wenge can be difficult to work with so i'd expect that could add to the cost.

Personally i think solid ebony or 2 pieces maple to match the body on the bottom half then ebony on top to match the pickups :)

Just an idea :)

[quote name='Bill' timestamp='1369848179' post='2093475']
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]....to add a ramp to my 5 string Warwick streamer! for tone, dynamics, and other benefits!....[/font][/color]
[/quote]

What does a ramp do for your tone or dynamics?

What are the "other benefits" of which you speak?

My yamaha a2 has a slap ramp...if its the same thing i find it odd when going back to it from my other jazz bass's....only takes 5 mins toget used to but...

...if i had a choice i rather it wasnt there but it doubles as cover for truss rod access.

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1370022817' post='2095744']
I have a rosewood ramp fitted to my streamer LX6, I had Jon Shuker make the ramp for me and its fixed to the body with double sided tape. If you want a fixed ramp, the main thing to know is how close do you want the surface of the ramp to the strings
[/quote]

I want to raise the pickup's a bit, and then have it the same height! do you have any pics of your streamer LX6 with the ramp??

• 3 weeks later...