Why become a member? ×

New pink Westfield B1000 on ebay for £49

jimbaby

Just a heads up for an ebay listing for a Pink Westfield B1000 with black or white scratchplate, there are more than 10 available at the princely sum of £49.
The sellers name is kennysmusic who have shops in Dundee and Dunfermline they are boxed and kenny's will ship for £7.99.
Precision style,got to be cheap for a new bass, never tried one myself but some good reports on these pages, I have no connection to this sale or kenny's music.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfield-B1000-/181149090897?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a2d53c451"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a2d53c451[/url]

Pretty sure it was one of these I hotrdded for Shockwave, not bad with some fettling. Sort of tempted to grab so and part out.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Mine arrived today, having had my interest piqued by this thread and they're well worth a pop at £50. (or less, as per Mr. Foxen's haggling!)

It's very pink - not neon pink, as you'd get on many an 80's 'guaranteed for metal superstrat', but pinker than I am after moderate exercise. The finish is a bit blotchy in places, where the paint hasn't mixed properly and the red shows a bit more, but what does one expect for five tenners?

Width at nut is 40mm and is a C-shape around the back. I haven't noticed any sharp fret ends on this one - tuners aren't the worst I've used and they keep it in tune. Bridge is the expected BBOT and does what it does. Strings are the expected cheapies, so I have a set of Fender flats en-route.

Plugging it in - it sounds like a P-bass, so no surprises. The pickups have enough output, but they are buzzy at higher volumes when near other electronics like a PC etc - shielding the cavity will probably sort that out and I have some copper tape left. Rolling off the tone control actually drops a fair bit of treble (and silencing the buzz), so it's not an ornament like you get on some other cheapies.

It's not as nice feeling as the Vintage Modified Squiers or the newer Vintage V4s, but you're talking a fraction of the price. It's miles better than the Kay Precision I started on, so it'd be a pleasant instrument for the beginner, or like me, something to plonk about on or take to gigs where one doesn't want to take their 'Sunday Best'. I'm going to play this at our gig next month, if it's still on.

I know - useless without pictures, so have an unsatisfactory shot of it and a blurry one showing a bit of the redness in the paint:

Edited by Green Alsatian

I've got one of these, a maple necked version in bright pink from Alyctes on here. The frets needed finishing a little, and I attached some block inlays and painted on some binding along with a 70's Fender logo(this I now regret, although it makes the bass look like its worth several times what I paid...), and the result was a bass to rival my Mex Precision- I even ended up using it for my biggest gig to date, playing in the main hanger at Aintree racecourse for Ladies Day of the Grand National!
[attachment=136022:image_1365173754129259.jpg]

[attachment=136023:IMG_0086.JPG]

Stock pickups were surprisingly capable, great sound through the SVT I was using, although the colour is a little loud for some of the more 'spit and sawdust'-ish venues I play.

For £49 brand new you really cannot go wrong at all, shame they don't have the metallic blue/maple one so I could knock together a Steve Harris tribute bass on the cheap...

Edited by SlapbassSteve

Just spoke with Magnus and got the £40 +P&P deal over the phone (thanks Mr Foxen :drinks: ).....pink with black PG....for my daughter's use....eventually ;)

The pink with black PG B1000's usually come with maple fretboard...but Magnus seems to think all his are rosewood with white or black PG?

As I said before, I bought a B1000 a while back as a beater bass for my car sales when I'm bored, sunburst/rosewood one and mine is a decent bass with no excuses needed.

I spent an hour setting up nut, trussrod and saddles etc and she plays very well....& strangely, unlike the crop of more expensive bass's I've owned, the neck never seems to shift and that bass see's anything from -10c to +25c in a sometimes damp'ish/sometimes dry workshop....go figure :huh:

Edited by iconic

I have a red one, black guard, with a maple board, and it's very nice indeed. They're plywood bodies, but, y'know, so what.

Actually if anybody wants to swap my black pick guard for their white one, that would be great. It's still got the protective film on it.

Edited by Zenitram

plywood.... such an ugly word....[i][b]cross-grain multi-layed laminate composite [/b][/i]sounds sweeter :rolleyes:

wiki:-

Plywood was invented about 3400 B.C. by the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ancient_Mesopotamians&action=edit&redlink=1"]Ancient Mesopotamians[/url], who attached several thinner layers of wood together to make one thick layer. They originally did this during a shortage of quality wood, gluing very thin layers of quality wood over lesser-quality wood.[sup][size="2"][[i][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/url][/i]][/size][/sup]
Modern plywood was invented, in the 19th century, by [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immanuel_Nobel"]Immanuel Nobel[/url], father of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Nobel"]Alfred Nobel[/url]. Nobel realized that several thinner layers of wood bonded together would be stronger than one single thick layer of wood, and invented the rotary lathe used in plywood manufacturing.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1370075316' post='2096184']
Just spoke with Magnus and got the £40 +P&P deal over the phone (thanks Mr Foxen :drinks: ).....pink with black PG....for my daughter's use....eventually ;)
[/quote]

Cool, glad he got a sale, felt a bit bad for sport haggling followed by spending all my money on more amps so he didn't make the sale. Was considering buying some just to part out.

Edit: also found previous thread about Shockwave's: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173000-finished-two-upgraded-basses

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1370048726' post='2096104']
I've got one of these, a maple necked version in bright pink from Alyctes on here. The frets needed finishing a little, and I attached some block inlays and painted on some binding along with a 70's Fender logo(this I now regret, although it makes the bass look like its worth several times what I paid...), and the result was a bass to rival my Mex Precision- I even ended up using it for my biggest gig to date, playing in the main hanger at Aintree racecourse for Ladies Day of the Grand National!

Stock pickups were surprisingly capable, great sound through the SVT I was using, although the colour is a little loud for some of the more 'spit and sawdust'-ish venues I play.

For £49 brand new you really cannot go wrong at all, shame they don't have the metallic blue/maple one so I could knock together a Steve Harris tribute bass on the cheap...
[/quote]

Glad it worked out for you :)

My lass rang up and got the cheaper deal on one of these - cheers for the heads-up!

She wanted something cheap-but-alright to keep in Eb so she doesn't have to mess with the tuning of her main bass when plonking along to CDs that are half-step-down. The deal is, however, that if it arrives generally sound and I do the setup (and add copper tape, decent pickup and electronics, better bridge, straplocks, new strings etc. from my bits-box as required) I get to gig it with my metal band! Gonna get some quality looks, not least of all from the band given that I'd sound-check with my 'normal' precision. Hope it's a good 'un when it arrives B)

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1370162585' post='2097012']
My lass rang up and got the cheaper deal on one of these - cheers for the heads-up!

She wanted something cheap-but-alright to keep in Eb so she doesn't have to mess with the tuning of her main bass when plonking along to CDs that are half-step-down. The deal is, however, that if it arrives generally sound and I do the setup (and add copper tape, decent pickup and electronics, better bridge, straplocks, new strings etc. from my bits-box as required) I get to gig it with my metal band! Gonna get some quality looks, not least of all from the band given that I'd sound-check with my 'normal' precision. Hope it's a good 'un when it arrives B)
[/quote]

pics when you do, in full flow, volume up to eleven, please :)

Mine finally turned up today....parcelforce's idea of 24 hour express delivery from last monday collection!
I can confirm if you choose black scratchplate you do indeed get a maple fretboard n neck..... plays great outa the box, looks cool as a cucumber in what would be a match for atomic red/pink if you ever saw a 90s honda motocrosser....merest of tweaks to truss rod. This ones going to my daughter so ordered another for my own home p bass at 47 quid delivered....love it!

[b][u][i]Obviously no thread about a non Fender bass would be complete without the obligatory cliche's.... "it plays better than some US Fenders I've played" ohh and nearly forgot "better fit and finish than some US Fenders I've played!".... ;) [/i][/u][/b]

Set of black blocks on order from jacomo japan.

Edited by iconic