Why become a member? ×

Fascinating thread on TB! Tom Wictor, ex BP journo spilling the beans spectacularly :)

xilddx

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/interviewing-bassist-stories-866617/"]http://www.talkbass....stories-866617/[/url]

It's on Talkbass so deep apologies to Basschat for posting it, but it deserves reading. Also, I had no idea it existed until BC member [b]Miles'tone[/b] posted it on my thread about old music mags, Miles, massive gratitude to you for posting the link mate!

It's a thread started by Thomas Wictor, an ex Bass Player mag journo who got pissed off with the new BP editor killing his stories and interviews. It's a MASSIVE thread, and it's full of Wictor's anecdotes about his inteviews, and working for BP, and loads of very juicy inside stuff about your favourite bassists, much of it necessarily anonymous.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Edited by xilddx

I spent a couple of nights reading all three threads and bought both his books. The first, "In Cold Sweat" contains the full text of the interviews that he had with Gene Simmons, Peter Hook, Jerry Casale and Scott Thunes. The Scott Thunes interview takes up half of the book, he is a very interesting person. The Gene Simmons interview is very interesting too, it made me look differently at him.
He wrote the second book, "Ghosts and Ballyhoo", when the Talkbass thread made him realise that people were interested in his story. The subtitle is "Memoirs of a failed LA music journalist" and he talks about his life as a musician and later journalist. There are some interludes by Scott Thunes in this book, I really enjoyed reading it.

I have reached page 20, not even half way through the thread. What a fascinating, entertaining and moving piece of internet. I'll have to continue with it tomorrow, so this post is really just to remind me where I was up to.

Thank you for the link.

Fascinating stuff!

Does anyone else think that could be a Cameron Crowe movie here (complete with Nancy Wilson soundtrack if they're still together)?? You know, a failed embittered writer with health problems finds redemption thru the example of his idol, a brilliant but embittered artist who he requires as a genius but everyone thinks is a sociopath, who himself finds redemption thru the love of a good woman! The writer is friends with another couple with a dysfunctional relationship, a working musician who never quite hits the big time and his beautiful and sassy wife who has a meanstreak and who the writer is secretly in love with.

All we need is a romantic interest, maybe an ex girlfriend who never stopped loving the writer but couldn't live with his negativity, who comes back into his life to complete his rehabilitation. In the final heartwarming scene he gets a positive prognosis on his illness and delivers the final draft of his novel to an optimistic publisher!

Perhaps the basis of a pitch to CC there?? No... just me then!

Edited by peteb

This is going to keep me busy for a while, not just reading the TB thread but also digging out and rereading my old BP issues & trying to work out who is who.

Thanks for posting Nige!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1369122240' post='2084959']
Fascinating stuff!

Does anyone else think that could be a Cameron Crowe movie here (complete with Nancy Wilson soundtrack if they're still together)?? You know, a failed embittered writer with health problems finds redemption thru the example of his idol, a brilliant but embittered artist who he requires as a genius but everyone thinks is a sociopath, who himself finds redemption thru the love of a good woman! The writer is friends with another couple with a dysfunctional relationship, a working musician who never quite hits the big time and his beautiful and sassy wife who has a meanstreak and who the writer is secretly in love with.

All we need is a romantic interest, maybe an ex girlfriend who never stopped loving the writer but couldn't live with his negativity, who comes back into his life to complete his rehabilitation. In the final heartwarming scene he gets a positive prognosis on his illness and delivers the final draft of his novel to an optimistic publisher!

Perhaps the basis of a pitch to CC there?? No... just me then!
[/quote]

No it is not a "Movie" it is real life! People are being crapped on like this in all walks of life! Telling it staight just gets one ridiculed. It is all about bums on seats/selling product.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1369140391' post='2085280']
[b]No it is not a "Movie" it is real life![/b] People are being crapped on like this in all walks of life! Telling it staight just gets one ridiculed. It is all about bums on seats/selling product.
[/quote]

Exactly right. Most of us have a nice rosy view of what it's like to be a pro music journo (and indeed a pro musician), and despite Wictor being IMO one of the best (if not the best) of the ones I've read because of his honesty, openess and ability to ask astute questions from a much more interesting set of angles, he got f***ed over. There are three threads, they get closed when they reach 50 pages and the next thread is started :) It's HUUUUUGE!

Amazing to have Scott Thunes and Bryan Beller contributing. I'm only up to page 31 on the first thread, and it's been fascinating and eye opening. It's a realtime window into Tom's soul. Superb stuff.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1369052236' post='2084244']
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/interviewing-bassist-stories-866617/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f32/interviewing-bassist-stories-866617/[/url]

It's on Talkbass so deep apologies to Basschat for posting it, but it deserves reading. Also, I had no idea it existed until BC member [b]Miles'tone[/b] posted it on my thread about old music mags, Miles, massive gratitude to you for posting the link mate!

It's a thread started by Thomas Wictor, an ex Bass Player mag journo who got pissed off with the new BP editor killing his stories and interviews. It's a BIG thread, and it's full of Wictor's anecdotes about his inteviews, and working for BP, and loads of very juicy inside stuff about your favourite bassists, much of it necessarily anonymous.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
[/quote]

Hey thanks Xilddx, I knew you'd be as enthralled as I am!
Yes got to agree with you that Thomas Wictor is one of the best bass journos we've had. I love his writing and the Interviewing Bassists threads are just amazing on so many levels. So much to absorb and learn from (I find myself going back to it to take notes on all the fantastic album suggestions/youtube links - such great new music to get turned on to!)
But it's the 'all laid bare' personal and spiritual matters that unfold with nothing less than full support and positive well wishing from all the Talkbassers that got me (yes, on Talkbass! ;)).
Really restored my faith in people.
His writing style (if that's the right word as it is straight from the heart) is so universal everyone can relate to it.

Inspiring stuff!

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1369140391' post='2085280']
No it is not a "Movie" it is real life! People are being crapped on like this in all walks of life! Telling it staight just gets one ridiculed. It is all about bums on seats/selling product.
[/quote]
C'mon, gimme a break...

As you say, people get f**ked over in all walks of life but even more so in the entertainment industry. I believe that Bryan Beller got treated pretty badly by the same publication but he handled it differently and it was only a minor blip in his career. The whole point of the OP was that Wictor had come to terms with what happened and now felt able to share these stories with people who would be interested in them!

The fact is that Wictor is a good writer and the "LA Story" posts in the TB thread could almost be written as a scene in a film, perhaps a remake of 'The Player' but set in the music rather than the movie business (and perhaps a little less cynical, hence the Cameron Crowe reference)!

Anyway, I'm glad that Wictor has come thru it and hope that he sells his novel - he is undoubtedly a good writer! Also good to see that Thunes appears to be in a happier place and is back making music...

Edited by peteb

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1369260505' post='2087151']
thanks for posting this nige.
i'm on page 22 of the 2nd thread now.
ordered a cd and a book.
this threads are magic.
[/quote]

In Cold Sweat is a fabulous book! Zappa's MAJNH is a fabulous album! I just ordered Ghosts and Ballyhoo: Memoirs of a Failed LA Music Journalist, the book he wrote spawned by the TB thread and TB members imploring him to make book out of all the stories.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1369150238' post='2085488']
Hey thanks Xilddx, I knew you'd be as enthralled as I am!
Yes got to agree with you that Thomas Wictor is one of the best bass journos we've had. I love his writing and the Interviewing Bassists threads are just amazing on so many levels. So much to absorb and learn from (I find myself going back to it to take notes on all the fantastic album suggestions/youtube links - such great new music to get turned on to!)
But it's the 'all laid bare' personal and spiritual matters that unfold with nothing less than full support and positive well wishing from all the Talkbassers that got me (yes, on Talkbass! ;)).
Really restored my faith in people.
His writing style (if that's the right word as it is straight from the heart) is so universal everyone can relate to it.

Inspiring stuff!
[/quote]

It's f*cking amazing! Thanks again!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1369311607' post='2087594']
In Cold Sweat is a fabulous book! [b]Zappa's MAJNH[/b] is a fabulous album! I just ordered [b]Ghosts and Ballyhoo: Memoirs of a Failed LA Music Journalist[/b], the book he wrote spawned by the TB thread and TB members imploring him to make book out of all the stories.
[/quote]
me. these. 2. :lol:

Intriguing reading, but (slightly OT) I wish I hadn't picked up on the references to Roy Estrada in the linked thread and googled him to see what he's up to nowadays. I always enjoyed his playing on the Mothers, Beefheart and Little Feat stuff, so knowing about his later child sex offences is offputting to say the least. I know the records themselves haven't changed, but it still creeps me out a little...
On the thread itself, it's great to see Scott Thunes chiming in, and there's a lot of insightful stuff about what goes on in the music business.

I've just finished Tom Wictor's latest book "Ghosts and Ballyhoo - Memoirs Of A Failed L.A. Music Journalist" and it is brilliant! Very original angle for a memoir and of course it flows fantastically just like his TB threads. If you liked them you should defo check it out :)

he used to write a column for bass player called undervalued bass player (and their recordings)

one edition was on a player he obviously really rated

sadly that bass player did not play on that particular recording

this always struck me as hilarious despite being potentially meanspirited on my behalf.