Why become a member? ×

Free / showcase gigs

danthevan

Was speaking to a guy from another band yesterday who was saying there are no 'real' music venues in the area anymore, and the only gigs anyone seems to get are your general corner of the pub type stuff.

We come up with an idea to maybe start a music scene, but not sure about the best way to go about it.

There is a local social club, tons of parking, massive dance floor and loads of seating (would say you could comfortably get 300 people in there) which is only open 3 nights a week because they have virtually no members.

I would say there are 5 local covers bands i know who would be willing to do a couple of gigs once a month as freebies to get things going, but what about original bands? Do they do freebies to showcase themselves?
Obviously if it took off and became known as a music venue then there would be payment involved.

What the plan would be is to do something maybe 2 nights a week, one of them as a jam night, and the other having an originals band followed by a covers band or vice versa.

Suggestions? Feedback?

Us originals bands are usually lucky if they cover the cost of the petrol to get to the gig, so yeah, showcase sounds good, get them involved, start a scene.

BRX will be along in a minute to tell you you can all be paid if you work hard enough.
He is right, but I am lazy ;)

some pubs round our way have nights like these where they will showcase noob bands for no playing fee (usually one of their quieter drinking nights so im guessing they figure it will either improve takings over the bar or no difference on that particular night of week) if youve got an area where there are a lot of student/originals bands its often a good way for them to get exposure as without experience and proven track record they are caught in the catch22 trap of not being able to get gigs because they havent had experience/exposure etc etc

Edited by steve-bbb

Dont think the problem will be so much getting the bands in, will be more getting the punters in to watch them. Not like the old days when the least drunk of the people you went out with drove home.
There is a bus stop right outside, and station would be about a fiver by cab. Its right on a main A road so advertising shouldnt be a problem

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1368791210' post='2081534']
Cool, not far from me then, give us a shout if you go ahead with it :)
[/quote]

You'll know exactly where it is........ The Foremans.
Still need to sort out the logistics but reckon it could work.

The really, really, really important thing to consider when you do stuff like this is to make sure that the nights have a well defined genre/theme/style. With my (originals) band we've done too many gigs where its a guy with an acoustic guitar, then a heavy metal band, then three guys with synths and a drum machine, then an indie rock band. The end result is that people turn up to watch their mates and then leave. To make nights like this a long term success you need to structure the event so that people will enjoy most of the acts and will consider turning up week after week just because they want to hear that kind of music. You're trying to build a community, really, and thats hard enough to do without trying to be all things to all men.

Transport links are key...so I wonder why this place is struggling if the place is easy to get to.
It needs a catchment area where people will turn up on the off chance..but most of all, it needs
patience and an atmosphere.

The best venue/pub in my town has been two years of HARD work. Now, people turn up as
they know the bands will be worth checking out. They may not stay all evening but you don't
want to give them an excuse never to return...

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1368793824' post='2081583']
Some good points, especially the keeping the same genre on the same night.
[/quote]

And maybe change the look of the place (on minor stuff) to suit the bands playing. Having a few different sets of pictures/posters to put up that actually make sense for the type of band on would add to the atmosphere a bit.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1368796242' post='2081635']

And maybe change the look of the place (on minor stuff) to suit the bands playing. Having a few different sets of pictures/posters to put up that actually make sense for the type of band on would add to the atmosphere a bit.
[/quote]

Good idea. At the moment its a virtually disused function room (magnolia walls and flourescent light fittings!)
with a bar, but removable stuff is a plan!

One other thing, which is perhaps obvious, is to make sure you exercise quality control. It only takes one dire band to kill a whole gig, and unfortunately there are a lot of really dire bands out there. Although the nature of the night means you won't be paying, that doesn't mean you should not be picky about who you give slots to!

I am planning on doing something similar in the Midlands and have already done a few trial nights with mates' bands. There are dozens of pubs with big empty function rooms just dying to be used. They will give you room for free and just take on beer takings. My plan is have genre specific nights and then have 5 bands on, mixing it up with original and covers bands. Each band is allocated a number of tickets and they get 50% of the total value of what they sell. The balance is paid to us. Anyone who pays on door is asked who they have come to see and then they are allocated to each band. If you target young up and coming bands they are always keen to gig and will usually bring all the family and friends. Put them on with some established bands and you can get a full house. We charge £5 per ticket and room we are planning n using holds 200 people. So far, both trial nights have sold out. We are having to hire PA at the moment but the intention is to buy one in the long term

I have nothing against making a few quid along the way, but this is more of setting up something where bands can do their thing, and the punters can have a night of entertainment.
Used to be a couple of places that done it and they were always rammed, but obviously as both have been flattened for housing developments there was more money in the land than there was at the bar