Why become a member? ×

Do you have your own personaity on the bass.?

bubinga5

the potentials from musical expression are vast imo.. emotions are being communicated,different qualities of touch, articulation, color, intensity, energy[font="sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#000000"], [/color][/size][/font]when i hear a good bassist he is manipulating my emotions. and thats just the bass, never mind the other instruments that make up a band... i care not for the way someone looks, im all for someones playing

when i hear Earth Wind and Fire im in heaven, thats real musical expression for me. original and comes from the soul.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1368610770' post='2079081']
yes i can. i think people who play any instrument have different goals, as to what they want to achieve. im in no way saying any approach or attitude towards music/bass is better than the other, its subjective and personal. but my personal feeling is that music or expression of music is something that should communicate. how well you communicate is up to the individual..
[/quote]
ah, I see. but doesn't take this us back to the OP question? as nige said then what and how is communicated with/through music?
as in a language isn't the dialect and choice of words, tone and pronounciation a mirror of your own personality?
shouldn't we try to communicate then as precise and touching as possible to transport the expression of a piece or note?
of course anybody can be happy just to play a bit, but isn't the highest goal in playing music to project the content/expression directly into the listeners hearts?
I believe you have to have an own voice to be able to do this.

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1368612709' post='2079110']
ah, I see. but doesn't take this us back to the OP question? as nige said then what and how is communicated with/through music?
as in a language isn't the dialect and choice of words, tone and pronounciation a mirror of your own personality?
shouldn't we try to communicate then as precise and touching as possible to transport the expression of a piece or note?
of course anybody can be happy just to play a bit, but isn't the highest goal in playing music to project the content/expression directly into the listeners hearts?
I believe you have to have an own voice to be able to do this.
[/quote]

Pretty close to what I think Krysh.

Music is all about people, not music, if you see what I mean. A great orator can be as compelling as a great musician. There are people who sparkle through their communication methods, whether that be music, writing, conversation, art, cooking, whatever - they seem to do something compelling that reflects something common to certain people.

of course music is about people. what would music be if nobody would listen, write or play it?
aside great compositions/writings which kind of conserve emotions it always is the performer/artist/musician who might touch people directly, be it co-performers or audience.
and this is where the music starts to live...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368610369' post='2079077']
We don't want to turn this thread into Rush Wars, but I honestly have no idea why you would come to this conclusion. Hating their music is perfectly fine, saying they are dead from the neck down (sic - I think you mean 'up'), have no musicality or personality is, frankly, a massive sack-full of diseased bollocks mate.
[/quote]

I have come to this conclusion because they are dead from the neck down in a musical sense.
There is no finesse or playing there..just notes...no panache, no zip, no nothing..
You can watch 30 mins of the show and know every move they would make..and there would be no musical surprises.
If it meant 'up' that would mean they have some sort of cerebral use ...but I use the word 'down'.
as nothing they do could get the body parts moving..

As you say, don't wish to derail a good thead otherwise..

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1368569720' post='2078795']
I think youre mistaking me for someone who give a monkeys toss what you think about them.
[/quote]

Classic! I wish I'd written that!! If I say it know, it would be a cover version - so I'd have to put my own personality into it or it would just be "saying by numbers" (whatever the f*** [i]that[/i] means!?) :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1368616678' post='2079166']
I have come to this conclusion because they are dead from the neck down in a musical sense.
There is no finesse or playing there..just notes...no panache, no zip, no nothing..
You can watch 30 mins of the show and know every move they would make..and there would be no musical surprises.
If it meant 'up' that would mean they have some sort of cerebral use ...but I use the word 'down'.

[/quote]

Fine. Rush are crap, dead down and up, no surprises, totally predictable, no musicality or personality.

Edited by xilddx

[/quote]

I would be interested to know how you personally would be playing [i]your own [/i]songs 30-40 years after you had written them? After having played them live [i]thousands[/i] of times over the years in front of millions of fans who all expect you to be note-perfect?

Horses for courses, naturally - but Rush fans are generally extremely demanding in terms of how they expect the band's songs to be played.

Is there an element of jealousy here? :unsure:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368618040' post='2079187']Rush are crap, dead down and up, no surprises, totally predicatable, no musicality or personality.[/quote]

I knew there had to be a reason why I have loved them these last 35 years!! :D My kind of band! B)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1368602888' post='2078962']
It's simple, the band just rearranges the song so that the melody and the lyrics remain the same but the arrangement changes. Mind you, having said that, I really don't see it as 'stamping my personality' on anything. I might be more convinced by the idea of the whole band stamping it's personality.
[/quote]

all well and good but where is the line between and genuine honest attempt at an improved or personalised arrangment and laziness at not bothering to listen to or inability to reproduce the original arrangement (for technical/skill reasons) ? sometimes the studio production will mean that it cannot be reproduced faithfully in a live setting and usually it is down to the band line-up and instrumentation requiring the arrangement to be altered

a technically difficult arrangment may be tricky for a band to replicate in a live situation but a 'lazy arrangement' will usually sound like just that - an arrangement can often be simplified and with attention to just small details can lift it from being ordinary to sounding like the band have put a modicum of thought and effort into re-arranging it :)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1368618180' post='2079191']
I knew there had to be a reason why I have loved them these last 35 years!! :D My kind of band! B)
[/quote]

Then you must hate music and have no personality or musicality mate. Are you dead from the neck up, or down? Or both?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368618333' post='2079198']
Then you must hate music and have no personality or musicality mate. Are you dead from the neck up, or down? Or both?
[/quote]

Ah. You've seen me play then...? :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1368618239' post='2079192']
all well and good but where is the line between and genuine honest attempt at an improved or personalised arrangment and laziness at not bothering to listen to or inability to reproduce the original arrangement (for technical/skill reasons) ? sometimes the studio production will mean that it cannot be reproduced faithfully in a live setting and usually it is down to the band line-up and instrumentation requiring the arrangement to be altered

a technically difficult arrangment may be tricky for a band to replicate in a live situation but a 'lazy arrangement' will usually sound like just that - an arrangement can often be simplified and with attention to just small details can lift it from being ordinary to sounding like the band have put a modicum of thought and effort into re-arranging it :)
[/quote]

Ok then :) Here is the original version of Crowded House's Private Universe, followed by our cover of it that we just released. It's a bass synth on the recording although I play it on bass live almost identically. I'll be interested to know if you think ours has personality :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CkAiTD_LM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CkAiTD_LM[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTcY_Wi1M0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTcY_Wi1M0[/url]

xilddx - you, and only you I might add, posted a video of yourself covering a song last night. I cant find it today and have crap connection at home, post it again please.

[b]& everyone else[/b] who have put their own personality into a cover, I'd like to see to what extent this can be done without simply bastardising the original. I dont want this to read as a 'challenge', I just personally have no creative facility for copying others work and would like to see how you have gone about it.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1368619028' post='2079212']
Well looking at their Wikipedia entry, Rush have been going for a couple of years now and made a few albums.

I'm guessing they aren't too worried about what people think. :)
[/quote]

It appears to be another classic Basschat case of opinion put forward as fact.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368619020' post='2079210']
[b]xilddx - you, and only you I might add, posted a video of yourself covering a song last night. I cant find it today and have crap connection at home, post it again please.[/b]

[b]& everyone else[/b] who have put their own personality into a cover, I'd like to see to what extent this can be done without simply bastardising the original. I dont want this to read as a 'challenge', I just personally have no creative facility for copying others work and would like to see how you have gone about it.
[/quote]

Um, I took it down because I presumed no-one would think beyond the fact it was pretty faithful to the original, and wasn't sure if it illustrated the point of this thread properly, I can clearly hear my style in there, I doubt anyone else can :rolleyes: But here it is again. The suit was because we were going out and I was waiting for my queen to get ready so I recorded it then, I didn't put all that clobber on just for the vid :lol:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QbJ0Ga8hFc[/media]

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368618942' post='2079209']
although I play it on bass live almost identically. I'll be interested to know if you think ours has personality :)
[/quote]

i think it has a completely different personalitiy and ive already complimented you on it in a previous thread so not going to blow more smoke in your direction on this one! :P - in my mind this is not a 'simple' re-arrangement more of a major overhaul/rework

the fundamentals which link and identify with the original are still the same - melody/lyrics bassline chord progressions - change any of these and it becomes a completely new song imho

my previous comment was more aimed at covers rather than drastic re-arrangements - one example of this i could cite would be the beatles birthday song - have a search for this on spotify and you will see several covers - there is one (Ian Cussick, Heiko Effertz) which has imo done it faithfully, some of the other 'celebrity name' cover versions have obviously not listened to the chord structures carefully enough and there are parts which just grate on the ear because they dont move/progress 'correctly - this is what i refer to as lazy arranging or not listening carefully enough to what is actually going on

one criticism of your vid .... avoid justifying [b] K[color=#ffffff]_______[/color]I[color=#ffffff]_______[/color]T [/b] to the full width of [b]RICHARDSON[/b] - it may be arty but it doesnt scan as Kit just K.I.T. - also if you can edit the google thumbnail might be an idea as viewers not familiar with your band might think your guitarist is KIT :D

Edited by steve-bbb

At uni we're given a song a week to learn for a live performance the following week. We're given the chart and an MP3 and have to learn it note for note, we're marked on how accurately we play it with regard to capturing it's feel and tone etc.
Marcus Miller is Marcus Miller, I'd have thought that whoever's doing bass for Chic now, he'd have to pretty much recreate what Bernard played.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1368619028' post='2079212']
Well looking at their Wikipedia entry, Rush have been going for a couple of years now and made a few albums.

I'm guessing they aren't too worried about what people think. :)
[/quote]

One of them (well it's more of an EP really) is entirely filled with cover versions - the shame! still sound like Rush though.

[/quote]
I'm guessing that you're not a Dream Theatre fan then??