Why become a member? ×

Bass suitable for ~ 8 year old - suggestions please

dougal

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1368474776' post='2077570']
He [i]would[/i] grow into it....
[/quote]
You're right. Buy the lad a Stingray!!! :D

P.S. I love my Bronco (bought it a few years ago when they were £80 new) and even though i have more than a few basses i still regularly play it.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1368474734' post='2077568']
Thanks everyone for their input.

Pete, to give you some scale, here is he stoof next to a fully grown young woman - I don't think 30" will be too large:

I tried [i]really[/i] hard to convince him that the Squire on here is a better idea than the bronco, but he really likes the bronco in black / white, damnit.

I may just have to play the 'daddy knows best' card. Perhaps someone will make me a white pickguard.
[/quote]

He looks like Paul Scholes - get him a football instead . Buy me a Stingray .

Edited by Dingus

I ended up popping into Wunjo guitars last night (Denmark St) - They had a couple of Broncos in stock (he'd said, based on looks alone, that was the one he was after), one of which was well set up, played nicely, and was £1 cheaper than Dolphin or gear4music had advertised on their web site, and came with a free stagg bag and strap.

I've only ever known that shop as being full or rude dismissive staff who only ever paid attention to me when I wore a suit. It was a very pleasant surprise to be treated so well for what can't be much mark-up from them.

Anyway, I was impressed enough to purchase him the nicer one (in black, like he wanted)... and last night we were working our way through the Trinity interpretation of Blitzkrieg Pop.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm sad he didn't want the SS Jag from here, as I think that's more versatile.

Pictures to follow.

I think you did the right thing though, he'll love playing it then before you know it he's a true bass player, a bassist is born. I nagged my dad for a 'red shiney bass' literally, I didnt care about sound / make or even really the playability (although he must have looked into it). After a few years on that I could deffinitely say I was a bassist, after a few more years I started paying attention to what other people thought and listened to just more than how to play rifts, few more years still and it was down to me to get my own gear.

My lads 10 and hes just pinched my thunderbird and he gets on with it ok it is to big really though but I think most kids take it more seriously and enjoy it more if they use daddy's things I tried to get my boy a smallish bass but he said no there no good you don't have one so what can you say lol

Clearly too late to the party, but I would have voted for the Bronco myself! I started on one (mine was red) and it was a lovely beginner's bass. The other advantage, if your lad plays the cello, is that it's a much more simple layout than the other two you had in mind. The single pickup removes the temptation to spend more time faffing around with tone-blending than learning to play it!

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1368456995' post='2077278']
Personally Id go for a Westfeild small body bass. Really lightweight, playable neck, decent tone no fuss or hastle, plus fairly cheap and price but not build (from my experience).
[/quote]

I would agree with this. I think I paid about £49.00 for one of these new about 7 years ago for my son when he was 8 yrs old.

He has now graduated to EUB, 4 and 5 string bass and double bass too in county orchestra.

Westfield, cheap as chips, stayed in tune, did what it was meant to and he didnt care that it said Westfield on it;

and for £49 I didnt care if he played bass or cricket with it.

Sold it on for the same price as I paid for it on gumtree 4 years later. Total bargain.