Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a Ashdown CL-414H? Who Can help me find a 4x10?

DanEly

I'm looking for a new 4x10 cab to rock with my Ampeg SVT VR.

So, I've been looking at:
Ampeg svt 410HLF
Ampeg 410 AV - can't source one
Ashdown CL-414H

http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/1/Valve/16/CL414H/

As we all know, well thats the impression I get.. That the ampegt 410HLF is a pretty damn amazing cab but what else is there? This Ashdown CL CaB looks like it could be a monster (as well as looking cool) but I can't find any reviews or many comments on it at all! I want a old school, punchy tight cab that sounds amazing as well as looks the bomb. What do you guys think?

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1368281437' post='2075259']
If Ashdowns usual naming conventions are anything to go by, a CL414 would be a 4 Ohm version of a CL410, so you could maybe looks for reviews of that?
[/quote]

It's 4 Ohms and has a 'tilt back' back option. I can't seem to find much if not anything about the CL cabs

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1368287020' post='2075336']
The Ampeg PF410HLF is a cab worth checking out:

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-410hlf/"]http://www.ampeg.com...flex/pf-410hlf/[/url]

Has that lovely Ampeg tone in a much easier to cart about package than the regular SVT410HLF.
[/quote]

Looks nice, if I do go down the Peg root I'll probably get the HLF

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1368298892' post='2075502']
Why a 4x10?

2x12 is a much better design.
[/quote]

Apples & Oranges.

What makes you say a 2x12 cab is better? I, personally have always liked 4x10s, yet to try a nice 2x12

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1368312189' post='2075675']
Apples & Oranges.

What makes you say a 2x12 cab is better? I, personally have always liked 4x10s, yet to try a nice 2x12
[/quote]

2x12s have a better dispersion across the stage (unless you put the cab horizontally). Have a look at some of the better 2x12s & see if you like them (Barefaced, MarkBass & Bergantino all make good 2x12s).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1368343038' post='2075785']
2x12s have a better dispersion across the stage (unless you put the cab horizontally). Have a look at some of the better 2x12s & see if you like them (Barefaced, MarkBass & Bergantino all make good 2x12s).
[/quote]

I'll check them out. I actually have a Markbass 6x10 that I love. I'm not sure my VR's liking the 6ohms to much. I'm also looking for something thats still reasonably small (so I can chuck it in a car boot) A bit old school, looks good (it's all about looking good right? ;) ) but can still move some serious air

I have very well regarded 2x 112' cabs and my 2x210's cream them all day and every day..IMO
so I don't think it is easy to say 2x12 is a better cab or config.
Carrying 2 single cabs is a decent way to get round the carry issue of a 410...but more expensive.

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1368312189' post='2075675']

Apples & Oranges.

[/quote]

They make a 2x12 in the same range as that red Ashdown you posted and it sounds great!
Although for some reason it isn't on Ashdown's website and there's not a lot of info on them. If you can find one, though, it's worth checking out.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1368357000' post='2075984']
They make a 2x12 in the same range as that red Ashdown you posted and it sounds great!
Although for some reason it isn't on Ashdown's website and there's not a lot of info on them. If you can find one, though, it's worth checking out.
[/quote]

I'll have to do some digging. Does anyone know why there is such little info about these cabs?

As far as I'm aware, Ashdown's CL range is their high quality, British built series that spawn the same type of classic sound as the defunkt LB series (Little Bastard).
The defunkt LB-212 got fantastic reviews, but was only made in a limited number.

I didn't think the CL series comes in a 212 format, but I may be wrong.

I personally love the LB and its carefully rounded but not dull sound, but can't compare it to the Ampegs.
Have tested it with Ashdown valve, Orange hybrid and Promethean discrete amps, and think it works wonderfully, but can not be specific about the CL-410/414h - - merely expect that they will be in the same league and of the same type of sound.

If correct, maybe it might also partly explain the seeming lack of interest in reviewing them. The LBs did get reviews.
Also, the CLs are very new (IMS a few months old only) and probably still have a limited user base only.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1368484560' post='2077732']
I didn't think the CL series comes in a 212 format, but I may be wrong.
[/quote]

I have this in my house (sorry about the crap pic)...

Although it's apparently called the VS212 though it looks identical to the CL range. Whatever it's called, there appeaars to be next to no info on it and nothing on Ashdown's site.
I know they unveiled the range at NAMM 2012 and we bought this not long after but all I can think is that maybe it wasn't very popular and they discontinued it really quickly?
Whatever the case, it's a great cab if you can find one!

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1368542212' post='2078243']
I have this in my house (sorry about the crap pic)...
[...]
Although it's apparently called the VS212 though it looks identical to the CL range.
[/quote]

Ah! Thanks for posting! Now I get it.
See, the LB range was succeeded by a whopping two different new ranges:

The CL range is the successor of the LB range with bigger configurations. As far as I've understood, they are in a different price league than the VSs, and are built in England. However, I don't think any of them come with neodymium magnets.

The VS range is or was the newish, cheaper and heavier successor of the LB range - IMS with smaller cabs. The LBs had been built in England, and spawned neodymium magnets. The VS is built in China and has trad magnets.
Mind you, the LBs were[b] a lot[/b] heavier than Ashdown claimed, so the weight difference is not that much in real life.

Yeah, I'm sure the VS-212 is a great cab. Reportedly, they sound quite like the LBs - which is a good thing in my book.
(Me personally, I'm not looking though, as I got hold of the very last LBs that I could find in the UK - after several sleepless nights of intense searching. :) I searched not for the sound but for the lack of kilos, as I have back poblems.)

Indeed, a lot has changed on the Ashdown website after the update, and my uninformed impression is that some products have vanished from there that are still available.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor