Why become a member? ×

Yet another Fender Custom Shop Relic Precision

Grand Wazoo

Looks the part but, so many basses are being sold relic'd that the stressed look is beginning to go out of fashion.

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/custom-shop/basses/precision-bass/limited-relic-1955-precision-bass/"]http://www.fender.co...precision-bass/[/url]

[b] Fender Custom Shop Limited Relic 1955 Precision Bass Specs:[/b]
[list]
[*]Color: Black Over 3-Color Sunburst
[*]Body Material: Select Lightweight Ash
[*]Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
[*]Neck Material: Quartersawn Maple
[*]Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
[*]Neck Shape: 1955 Soft “V”
[*]Scale Length: 34˝ (864 mm)
[*]Fingerboard Radius: 7.25˝ (184.1 mm)
[*]Number of Frets: 20
[*]Fret Size: Vintage-Style
[*]Nut Width: 1.7˝ (43.2 mm)
[*]Position Inlays: Black Dot
[*]Middle Pickup: Custom Shop Stacked ’51 Precision Bass
[*]Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
[*]Hardware Finish: Chrome
[*]Bridge: 2-Saddle ’50s Vintage-Style with Steel Barrel-Style Saddles
[*]Tuning Machines: American Vintage Reverse Open-Gear Bass
[*]Pickguard: 1-Ply Parchment
[*]Included Accessories: Limited Edition Case, Strap, Cable, Custom Shop Picks, Limited Edition Certificate of Authenticity, Polishing Cloth
[/list]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I can never get my head round the CS's thinking at times, the bass looks great btw, but why 3-tone sunburst?, at least do it over 2-tone, so it looks like its been refinished over an original finish, not refinished over a refinish? Just wrong, they are running out of idea's clearly. Fender used to carry out Custom Colours over stock of sunbursts, when the need arose, but 3-tone......in '55.....really?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1368186230' post='2074180']
I can never get my head round the CS's thinking at times, the bass looks great btw, but why 3-tone sunburst?, at least do it over 2-tone, so it looks like its been refinished over an original finish, not refinished over a refinish? Just wrong, they are running out of idea's clearly. Fender used to carry out Custom Colours over stock of sunbursts, when the need arose, but 3-tone......in '55.....really?
[/quote]

I agree. There's a huge lack of imagination at the CS, it's boring boring stuff and if they're going to reissue stuff then at least get period finishes right instead of it being yet another one of Fender's anachronisms.

The neck looks good, not sure about the body though. I can never see why people assume there'd be such uniform wearing across the top of the body. The wear in the top waist of the body looks good.

I've seen relic'd 70's jazz basses with the same sort of wear on the body, 70's basses were polyester finished though, so you wouldn't get the paint rubbing off from an arm or a sleeve.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1368352371' post='2075899']
Yep, don't get this colour, at all. Nash does a better relic, IMO.
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw a Nash somewhere, it genuinely [i]seemed[/i] old somehow !
You could imagine it being played in countless smokey bars and clubs over years and years.
My Pino P bass looks old, but doesn't feel it.

I'm waiting for the day when a major car manufacturer rolls out a sparkling brand new car straight off the production line then wheel it over to their development centre where a team of engineers set about it with baseball bats and beat the crap out of it giving it that 'road worn' or 'relicd' look. It's only a matter of time. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368362852' post='2076068']
I'm waiting for the day when a major car manufacturer rolls out a sparkling brand new car straight off the production line then wheel it over to their development centre where a team of engineers set about it with baseball bats and beat the crap out of it giving it that 'road worn' or 'relicd' look. It's only a matter of time. :)
[/quote]

Been doing it to Jeans for ages. Also it's been popular with copies of antiques for the home. Don't buy any if those either.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1368362852' post='2076068']
[/quote]

I believe this is the custom in Paris, from observation :lol:

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1368375451' post='2076255']
What's a 1955 Soft “V” neck profile like? I get a bit lost beyond A, B & C neck profiles...
[/quote]
A, B etc, refer to the neck width at the nut. The 'V' is referencing the shape (or section profile), of the maple on the back of the neck. V profiles were common between early '56 and late '57 (They do appear outside of these dates though, but some have been shaped by the owners, and not factory), and are still considered the most comfortable necks to play, and highly sought after. Its shaped that way, to fit snuggly in the V of your hand between thumb and first finger, when its wrapped around the neck. My late '56 Precision has a strong pronounced 'V', and it is very easy on the hand. Hope this makes sense?? Rick

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1368380369' post='2076322']
A, B etc, refer to the neck width at the nut. The 'V' is referencing the shape (or section profile), of the maple on the back of the neck. V profiles were common between early '56 and late '57 (They do appear outside of these dates though, but some have been shaped by the owners, and not factory), and are still considered the most comfortable necks to play, and highly sought after. Its shaped that way, to fit snuggly in the V of your hand between thumb and first finger, when its wrapped around the neck. My late '56 Precision has a strong pronounced 'V', and it is very easy on the hand. Hope this makes sense?? Rick
[/quote]

Ah, thanks Rick - makes sense. Just to make sure I understand, I'd better borrow your '56 Precision for a while. Purely for research purposes, you understand B)

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1368380904' post='2076328']
Ah, thanks Rick - makes sense. Just to make sure I understand, I'd better borrow your '56 Precision for a while. Purely for research purposes, you understand B)
[/quote]
You're not far away,always welcome to come have a play......purely for research purposes of course. The variance of necks between all my P's is quite staggering, all completely different, the '58 is my own personal fave, ultra thin.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1368186230' post='2074180']
I can never get my head round the CS's thinking at times, the bass looks great btw, but why 3-tone sunburst?, at least do it over 2-tone, so it looks like its been refinished over an original finish, not refinished over a refinish?
[/quote]
Quite, my learned friend.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1368353199' post='2075912']
I think basses that have acquired wear through countless hours of playing are very cool....but I'm not sure brand new instruments that have been faked tick the box.
[/quote]

This one doesn't, but they [i]can [/i]tick the box [i]if[/i] done sympathetically. Relics that have brand new shiny chrome hardware (for example) are a real no-no for me - it just shows lack of care and zero attention to detail. And leave the bloody electric sander out of it too, for God's sake! :)

Have a look at [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Fender-Precision-Bass-BLACK-OVER-SUNBURST-Vintage-Electric-Guitar-1972-1970-/370813996264?pt=Guitar&hash=item56563c8ce8"]this[/url]. Seller says original condition. Was this 'Black over 3TSB' something that Fender regularly did back in the '70s? But, like Rick says, why do it over a '50s model.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1368426887' post='2076811']
Have a look at [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-Fender-Precision-Bass-BLACK-OVER-SUNBURST-Vintage-Electric-Guitar-1972-1970-/370813996264?pt=Guitar&hash=item56563c8ce8"]this[/url]. Seller says original condition. Was this 'Black over 3TSB' something that Fender regularly did back in the '70s? But, like Rick says, why do it over a '50s model.
[/quote]

Fender did use sunbursts (Normally one's that failed the QC), for custom colours (Particularly black), certainly in the 60's, and from your link maybe into the 70's too. I've seen many examples of this. I've even seen Olympic White over sunburst. I'm sure some have been done by the owners since they left the factory also, but many were done in the shop, and are considered 'original' finishes. Rick

[quote name='Oversoul' timestamp='1368407242' post='2076772']
Meh...Sandberg do better looking relics, and probably cost less.
[/quote]

I don't get relicing, but I especially don't get why you'd want a relic that had a brand name stamped on the headstock of a brand that's only been around a few years. Instead of looking potentially old/mysterious/full of mojo (at least I assume that's the goal with relicing) it's simply going to look like it's been abused beyond belief in the short time it's been on this planet. Surely the appeal of having a beat up instrument that looked as if it's old with a story to tell is predominantly aesthetic, and therefore surely a period-correct logo such as Fender is part of that aesthetic?

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1368438287' post='2076943']
I don't get relicing, but I especially don't get why you'd want a relic that had a brand name stamped on the headstock of a brand that's only been around a few years. Instead of looking potentially old/mysterious/full of mojo (at least I assume that's the goal with relicing) it's simply going to look like it's been abused beyond belief in the short time it's been on this planet. Surely the appeal of having a beat up instrument that looked as if it's old with a story to tell is predominantly aesthetic, and therefore surely a period-correct logo such as Fender is part of that aesthetic?
[/quote]
I agree, good point. Same with Nash mash-ups for me too.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1368436414' post='2076917']
Fender did use sunbursts (Normally one's that failed the QC), for custom colours (Particularly black), certainly in the 60's, and from your link maybe into the 70's too. I've seen many examples of this. I've even seen Olympic White over sunburst. I'm sure some have been done by the owners since they left the factory also, but many were done in the shop, and are considered 'original' finishes. Rick
[/quote]

There was an article in Guitarist magazine a few months ago about the history of vintage reissue Fenders. There was a discussion of the lack of quality of 70s and early 80s Fenders... the factory black "refinish" over a flawed original paint job was discussed... if I remember correctly, black was by far the commonest colour in the late 70s as half the instruments they made had flaws in their finish and had to be redone. I'll see if I can't dig it out tonight.