Why become a member? ×

Return of a long lost bass!

warwickhunt

I sold/traded 'Red' about 10 years ago (as you do when you lust for something better/different) and though I regretted it and tried to establish who owned it, to try and get it back, it had disappeared. I had no luck finding it until... BassChat! Through this forum I managed to establish that it resided with a fellow BCer down in Bolton. I now find myself minus 1 EB Sterling and +1 'Red' Warwick Streamer Stage I bass.

Having just spent the last 2 hours stripping it and giving it a bit of TLC I can safely say it ain't going anywhere now.

Has anyone else had the good fortune to reacquaint with an old bass or do you have a bass that you'd like to find again.

Hey maybe we could start a 'Lonely Hearts' and get bass and bassist back together :)

Edited by warwickhunt

the '78 white P Bass I sold back in 85 when we needed the money to kit the nursery out and buy baby clothes for my daughter... I sold my 400-4 motorbike as well to buy a car...

I effectively gave up playing bass back then... family got in the way and I never had spare dosh to buy a bass with...

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='210593' date='Jun 1 2008, 05:05 PM']I had a Hot rodded Precision in Olympic White/Tortoiseshell which I sold around 2002. I can't even remember selling it now, or who to, or what moment of madness made me do it, but I would dearly like that back.[/quote]

If we post pics of the instrument we are after it might jog memories!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='210603' date='Jun 1 2008, 05:14 PM']If we post pics of the instrument we are after it might jog memories![/quote]

I haven't got a picture of it, but I do remember someone had inflicted a bit of DIY butchery on the nut and cut the slots way too deep.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='210603' date='Jun 1 2008, 05:14 PM']If we post pics of the instrument we are after it might jog memories![/quote]
Good point!

Here's the one I'd like to rediscover. A 1978 USA BC Rich Eagle with a Bill Lawrence bridge pick up...I've not seen it since 1996 but would love to find it again...

[attachment=9241:Old_USA_...e_body_b.jpg]

[attachment=9242:Old_USA_..._Eagle_b.jpg]

One of the best basses I've ever owned!

This beat up Stingray which i only had a matter of weeks was just superb, but things conspired to me selling it, I then had a chance to get it back last year but again financial restraints reared their heads, I'd dearly love her back.

u know my pm!

Edited by phsycoandy

I P/X'ed a tobacco sunburst Jaydee Roadie 2 active for a Jaydee Mark King in something like '87, it had been my 1st real bass, I was about 16 at the time.

It had had it's head broken off at some stage before I bought it, and had been profesionally repaired, but you could see the join.

It was sold on ebay about 2 years ago, I caught it just as it sold.

I emailed the seller and buyer just to say "Hi that used to be mine etc", but they never got back to me.

It was serial number 7 if anyone has it.

Congratulations John I hope the Sterling went to a good home :) An old Warwick could find its way into my heart.

There's a Marcus Miller I'd dearly love back but seeing I sold it to a 16 yr old 2 yrs ago I suspect it's been battered a bit :huh:

Peter

[quote name='bassmanady' post='210749' date='Jun 1 2008, 08:46 PM']I would like to know were my 5 string custom GB Spitfire ended up,made for me in 1997 by Bernie Goodfellow, with custom blue diamond fret markers,and "Rico" written on the twelth fret marker.The pups have goodfellow written on them
I swapped it for a Sei Flamboyant 5 string headed in 1999.[/quote]
cant blame you for wanting that baby back! Good luck in your search.

Jaydee Mark King in opalescent white, 1986.
Bought it through Hessey's in Liverpool for cost, £795, Colin was the best music shop manager in history.
Bound neck and headstock, full of dead spots, could never get the action right.
Has a chip out of the finish by the controls.
Sold it in 1996 for £450 and an Alesis Midiverb, what a tit.
I know who has it and Beerdragon has tracked him down in North Wales but he doesn't want to part with it.
Boohoo.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='210784' date='Jun 1 2008, 09:58 PM']Jaydee Mark King in opalescent white, 1986.
Bought it through Hessey's in Liverpool for cost, £795, Colin was the best music shop manager in history.
Bound neck and headstock, full of dead spots, could never get the action right.
Has a chip out of the finish by the controls.
Sold it in 1996 for £450 and an Alesis Midiverb, what a tit.
I know who has it and Beerdragon has tracked him down in North Wales but he doesn't want to part with it.
Boohoo.[/quote]Thats interesting to know about the neck,i found mine the same,sort of easy to flex is the only way i can describe it.

Edited by bassmanady

[quote name='bassmanady' post='211038' date='Jun 2 2008, 12:10 PM']Thats interesting to know about the neck,i found mine the same,sort of easy to flex is the only way i can describe it.[/quote]Totally spot on. I used to have nightmares about the neck going limp mid gig.
It sounded dead above the 9th fret and had dead spots all over it. I only ever used it live as a backup, if I broke a string. It sounded great recorded and had a huge bottom end. It had a nice neck shape and looked great.
It had rough edges on the frets and the binding was a bit iffy too. Compared to my KGB headless, which is the best playing bass I have ever used, it was a bit disappointing. I still want it back. :)

Similar story with a Jaydee funnily enough - bought a Series I Classic in June 06 - stupidly parted with it 6 months later (regretting it almost immediately) and eventually bought it back from the fellow BCer I sold it to (after he'd had it back up to JD for a superb refurb) the day before valentines day - it must be love!!

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='steve-soar' post='211284' date='Jun 2 2008, 06:37 PM']*I still want it back.* :)[/quote]Neck aside,i really liked the look and sound of the Jaydee,i have dug out recordings of some original songs, and it sounds incredibly good.....i think if i went back to 4 string basses i would want mine back too :huh:

Funnily enough, I popped into the local music shop and managed to stumble across one of my old V950's, identifiable due to the name "Ashley" crudely grafted onto the truss rod cover. Still have the other one though which was the keeper, she is calling for new strings though, it's been about 4 months since I nicked all the strings from it.

But more to the point, I got a Spector Euro for a Christmas present 2 years ago, I paid for it, and it was my first real High-end bass, though through youth-related stupidness and lack of knowledge I sold it on. And latley I've been eriously thinking how it would fare now I'm more focused and havinga much superior amp. Luckily I know where the bass is and who has it:

I even miss the colour :)

Ahh heres my tale.

I bought a Tokai P bass Brand new from a shop in Bath, It was a jap made one, trans cream with gold hardware. It was my first new bass. I spent alot of time oohing and ahhing over (Something i never do, i allways impulse buy!)

I used it for the majority of gigs in my first years in a band.

My girlfriend wanted to play bass, so i traded the tokai out to a guy in the midlands for a bass she wanted. anyway, safe to say she never picked it up. That christmas she bought me a spector legend 6. The bass was ok but not great. i part exed it back for the Tokai.

Anyway, I loved having the tokai back. I stripped her down and pimped her out in all gold hardware. She looked lovely. However she was my cheapest bass and usually i look to upgrade upwards. So when money became tight and i had an oppurunity to buy a great bass. I had to sell it on.

I know who has it as he is a fellow BCer. And he knows i want it back... hes just toying with me :)

Before picture.,

A set of EMG's. £30
A gold Anodized scratchplate £15
Gold Pickup and bridge covers (The pickup one had to be gold plated as no one has ever manufactured them) £40
Gold plated thumbrest :huh: £12
Optima 24KT strings £32

I desperately want it back as i have alot of sentimental value in it. Plus it played great. Though i never got a perfect sound out of her. Its one of those basses i am destined to die with!

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Josh' post='211825' date='Jun 3 2008, 02:37 PM']But more to the point, I got a Spector Euro for a Christmas present 2 years ago, I paid for it, and it was my first real High-end bass, though through youth-related stupidness and lack of knowledge I sold it on. And latley I've been eriously thinking how it would fare now I'm more focused and havinga much superior amp. Luckily I know where the bass is and who has it:

I even miss the colour :)[/quote]

Did you sell that through the old BassWorld site? I recall agonising over whether to go for that bass (or one very much like it), mainly 'because' of the finish/colour.

Edited by warwickhunt