Why become a member? ×

You (Generally) lovely people.

douggie

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1367945780' post='2071411']
This has got to be the longest Hello thread ever :)

But..

Hello :)
[/quote]

Whilst all the other intro threads have the same dedicated 3 or 4 members welcoming the new members, this one has lots, because it's a well respected and famous musician, who I assume a lot of people on here look up to. Still, It's cool to have such an experienced and well known bassist on the forum.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367947258' post='2071442']
Whilst all the other intro threads have the same dedicated 3 or 4 members welcoming the new members, this one has lots, because it's a well respected and famous musician, who I assume a lot of people on here look up to. Still, It's cool to have such an experienced and well known bassist on the forum.
[/quote]

Oh I know, I think it's fantastic that he's on the site :D

Just made me chuckle that was all :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1367948200' post='2071473']
Since end of Dec 2009 I believe.
[/quote]

I was talking about me, not Guy... :mellow:

How was I supposed to know he was on here for 4 years? It's not like he has flaunted his famousness anywhere. 30 posts in 4 years, i'm lucky to have seen one I reckon.

I'd really like to see Michael McDaid on the forum though.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367948805' post='2071484']

How was I supposed to know he was on here for 4 years? It's not like he has flaunted his famousness anywhere. 30 posts in 4 years, i'm lucky to have seen one I reckon.

[/quote]

Well seeing as you ask, same way I knew, by looking at his profile ;-)

I've never seen any of his posts on here either, although i have seen them on TB.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1367949664' post='2071496']
Well seeing as you ask, same way I knew, by looking at his profile ;-)

I've never seen any of his posts on here either, although i have seen them on TB.
[/quote]

I generally don't look at profiles unless i'm sending a PM or something. I'm not really that interested in finding out how long somebody has been a member, but I still think it's great he's here, regardless of how long he has been a member :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1367922172' post='2070961']
That was good...imagine it was an old Ampeg B type thing..??
With Andy Newmark... great guy.
[/quote]
no, standard Ashdown, had a valve drive but i din't use it much..Andy is my brother and just the sh*t..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1367922260' post='2070964']
There you go... with a graphite type neck, IIRC..??
[/quote]
No, all wood..Although I think I'd also just started using my signature bass (Oooh get her...) Status GP Vintage, which has a Graphite neck..

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367858720' post='2070316']
I'm a stand up comedian in my spare time

I stand up and everyone laughs...

What? I never claimed to be good at it... :D
[/quote]
As the great Bob Monkhouse said.."When I said I was going to do comedy, everyone laughed at me...They're not laughing now.."

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1367881565' post='2070693']
Hmmm... The only photo I have of it is this rather dodgy effort.

The shop had a rather strange looking Washburn which (like the Status) they claimed was a prototype originating from yourself. They also had a Precision which was openly advertised as 'ex Pink Floyd' in the record store a few doors down. Thinking about it the Washburn might have been an 8 string, but I wasn't paying that much attention as it wasn't my sort of thing. It's just that it didn't strike me as being the sort of bass you'd play either, which is why I've always been slightly sceptical about their claims.

Still, if you off loaded a bunch of basses to a shop in the mid nineties...
[/quote]
yes, i absolutely did. They had a great 12 string Ricky and a Silvertone I wanted, so I just dumped a load of freebies that I never played in exchange...

[quote name='bassatnight' timestamp='1367939521' post='2071247']
Welcome aboard matey, I have a horrible feeling that you may get inundated with techie questions :unsure:

So I'll ask an easy one; I was a big fan of Icehouse and seem to recall you joined Iva and the gang in time for the Primitive Man tour, what was your main weapon of choice for the tour? I seem to have a memory of you playing an Aria Pro or am I mistaken?
[/quote]
Spot on. Aria pro 2..

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1367840365' post='2070024']
Lovely to see this intro thread!! You are one top fella, and thanks to your help yesterday I am now irritating my neighbours with Octave pedals and vicious compression as I work on my Sorrow for my Pink Floyd Tribute band! :lol:

Will be seeing you In the Flesh (pun intended ;) ) as me and my bassist mate also called Deb will be popping over to Bristol in a few weeks to see your show. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again for your help.

Debs x
[/quote]
BTW the middle breakdown section with the harmonics is no octave but chorus and delay....

[quote name='douggie' timestamp='1367960093' post='2071731']
As the great Bob Monkhouse said.."When I said I was going to do comedy, everyone laughed at me...They're not laughing now.."
[/quote]

Yes, unfortunately, I've used that one enough times for it to just be completely ironic (and true).

[quote name='douggie' timestamp='1367960187' post='2071733']
yes, i absolutely did. They had a great 12 string Ricky and a Silvertone I wanted, so I just dumped a load of freebies that I never played in exchange...
[/quote]
Thanks for taking the time to answer Guy. I might have been tempted by that Silvertone if I'd been in there a bit earlier... :)

[quote name='douggie' timestamp='1367959770' post='2071725']
no, standard Ashdown, had a valve drive but i din't use it much..Andy is my brother and just the sh*t..
[/quote]

He does a few local dates down here and it is always a joy to watch.
Don't you get ideas to come down or nobody will get a look in ;)
but you may well know of the Mariners deal...???
If not, the I am sure Mr A Newmark could fill you in..

Welcome Guy ,

If you were at a loose end at all, you could join us in the monthly composition competition , though nailing one , getting 1 million votes, and going platinum would be considered a touch over the top :P

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1368303069' post='2075568']
Big fan of the book Guy. Out of curiosity, did you ever get your stolen Steinberger L2 back and have you been tempted by another since? They're the bass equivalent of crack cocaine....
[/quote]
No, but it's serial number 512 in case anyone finds it..
Don't get the crack analogy I'm afraid..

[quote name='douggie' timestamp='1368374136' post='2076234']
No, but it's serial number 512 in case anyone finds it..
Don't get the crack analogy I'm afraid..
[/quote]

I think he might have meant they are addictive. Or, that they come in rock form :D

[quote name='douggie' timestamp='1367834147' post='2069875']
I think I was well within my rights to kick off at having my actual character questioned to the point of slander though (And by a moderator..Oh the irony....)

But onwards and upwards, all water under the bridge.
[/quote]

Water under the bridge, eh?
Is that why the thread title clearly suggests Kiwi is not lovely?
Is that why you feel the need to repeat your oversensitive response to an interwebs remark?
Is that why you feel the need to use constructs like "well within my rights" and "to the point of slander"?

Well, I don't buy it.
You could simply have said: "Kiwi, mate, I don't know what happened, but as far as I can remember, I've never done what you think I've done."
We all know what you opted for instead. The pressure on Kiwi must have been enormous.

Myself having been on the receiving end of similar, potentially income threatening remarks, I surely think I understand your feelings. They can however be dealt with in vastly better ways.

best,
bert

Bert

I guess Kiwi wont have a guest spot on the next PF album , but then I guess some of PF wont either , it must be hard for Kiwi (and Ped) having to let his (their) baby grow up, answer back and then having to bite his tongue to let it carry on growing , granted you can teach your kids how to approach certain situations , but (while I missed the initial spat) the guests can also sometimes forget that whatever their status , they are still guests.

I have no Idea of the relevance of my observations, and I am sure you are correct in in yours , you always seem to be very level headed. If it is a Kiwi support post , I am with you, but I missed the bit where it went pear shaped , If it is all the right shape now , maybe OP could edit the the thread title to reflect this.