Why become a member? ×

5 String Advice

Stealth

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1368135472' post='2073790']
Have you looked at spector euros?, 35" scale tight focused sound from the EMG'S, and thunderous bottom end from the tonepump. They are fairly inexpensive ( when sold on here ) a very rock n roll bass :)
[/quote]

This. My Spector Euro 5XL is the best five string I've ever played regardless of price.
Absolutely fantastic basses that are great for heavy stuff.

@Bass_Driver, in order to avoid totally derailing this thread, I think we should simply agree to differ on this incidental topic. This long-running thread with a collection of different opinions could be an interesting read. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73234-tonewoods/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/73234-tonewoods/[/url]

I like Warwick and I sold 2 Warwick. The two i sold is a 4 string corvette and 5 string corvette. The 4 hand a set of EMG and John East preamp and the bass can eat you alive. The 5 string had bartolini and john east on. The bass also eat you alive, I end up selling it to Andy Saxton (Warwick endorser) in this forum.

Because 1 person had a problem with Warwick does not mean is a bad bass, is like any other bass, some people have problem with Fender, Musicman, Lakland etc.

I quite like my ACG 5 string after spending hours of getting the right sound on the preamp.

I'm not going to suggest a brand. I'm going to give some criteria to consider:
1) laminate neck for stability and elimination of resonances and dead notes
2) lightweight tuners, like Hipshot, Schaller or Gotoh to further reduce neck dive
3) longer upper horn to balance the bass better
4) 2 (B&E) + 3 (ADG) tuner arrangement to give more room for the B string so it doesn't bind around the tuner post or the nut
5) the "neck" pickup in the same relative location as the D-G segment of a P-bass pickup so there is the proper balance between fundamental and overtones
6) good, clean electronics, because "thump" does not equal fundamental and "growl" does not equal the clarity needed on the B string

The bottom line (pun intended) is that a 5-string is its own instrument. It is not just a 4-string modified; worse, most 4-strings modified sound, feel, and play badly.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1368487655' post='2077765']
I'm not going to suggest a brand. I'm going to give some criteria to consider:
1) laminate neck for stability and elimination of resonances and dead notes
2) lightweight tuners, like Hipshot, Schaller or Gotoh to further reduce neck dive
3) longer upper horn to balance the bass better
4) 2 (B&E) + 3 (ADG) tuner arrangement to give more room for the B string so it doesn't bind around the tuner post or the nut
5) the "neck" pickup in the same relative location as the D-G segment of a P-bass pickup so there is the proper balance between fundamental and overtones
6) good, clean electronics, because "thump" does not equal fundamental and "growl" does not equal the clarity needed on the B string

The bottom line (pun intended) is that a 5-string is its own instrument. It is not just a 4-string modified; worse, most 4-strings modified sound, feel, and play badly.
[/quote]

Best advice so far. :i-m_so_happy:

Don't overlook the warwicks, great to play with a 34" scale on the 5's but still with a good tone on the B string, my favourite 4 string was my old '93 thumb, I'm now into headless basses so the FNA 5 that I took as a part ex some time go could be up for grabs, plays great & in good cond I put it in a brand new hiscox case so it owes me £650, down in sunny devon if you fancy a pluck, pm me if it's of interest, mike b

It doesn't have to be expensive. I put off purchasing a 5-string for over 20 years until I could find "the" one. A couple of years ago Ibanez made a version of their lesser expensive SRA305 that has EMG passive soapbars and the Ibanez version of the EXB. It's now my main gig bass. It meets all the above criteria. Ibanez wanted to change everything around, so instead of listing for US$700, I got it on a closeout for US$279 late last year. And it is a standard top load 34 inch scale.

Edited by iiipopes

Thanks for all the advice most of which was very useful....

Re the great Warwick debate i seem to have kicked off its each to there own. For me the two i tried had a kinda chunky neck feel that my "fender trained" hand found a bit odd. But as people say a lot of players love them. I take the endorsement point which is why i ask you lot rather than reading the ad lines.

I play mostly live with the occasional (very) studio session. 90% of what i do is without PA support pub and club so the bass tone is more of a factor than it is your stadium star. My memories (distant) of doing bigger stuff unless its your sound crew your bass pretty much ends up sounding how the FOH guy thinks it should.

I am off to Bass Direct later to try some of the options will report back when my pockets have been blitzed.

TTFN
Stealth

Thats why i'm not too bother about how my sound is like anymore for live gig with PA support, since the PA guy will EQ me to sound what he wanted to sound lol.

I just worry about my own sound on stage or the volume i'm getting on the monitor since i don;t even use a amp anymore and just go direct.

Playing a Warwick bass will take sometime to get use to specially after playing a Fender jazz.

Edited by badboy1984

That ABZ 5 is the one I am selling.. Your welcome to come and try it if you want? Must warn you.. it could be love at 1st sight and listen. Totally brill bass just that I want to stick to 4 strings.
Regards
Pete

OK the deed is done after much playing and chatting and playing again came home with a Roscoe Century 5 plus. The Dingwall ca e very very close. But for my ears the Roscoe had a bit more punch and perfect balance.
Ta ya,all