Why become a member? ×

Bass comes first ?

lojo

Over recent years, bass practice , even if it's just keeping on top of the to learn well list, comes first , but recently I've been having an acoustic guitar thing, (should never have got back into listening to lindisfarne and the like) , but as I've not really put much effort into the guitar for ages, I'm very frustrated at my playing (miles off my standard for pub gigs) , now I'm worried if I spend to much time on that my bass playing will suffer.

How do you , with jobs and familys balance the importance of instruments.

I should really just have a bass shouldn't I ?

Edited by lojo

Cheers Ray

I'm a bass player, it's been over 20 years since I gigged guitar, but recently I'm just loving acoustic guitar and want to strum again.

I suppose it does not take much effort for me to learn my bass covers, perhaps Ill follow my urge and like you say , it may help my bass playing in other ways I don't see.

Have enjoyed music for years, and I suppose over recent years I've done everything the covers bands have required on bass without trying to hard, and i have given up trying to learn anything beyond that eithesome it theory or playing technique. so picking up the acoustic and getting frustrated at my playing is not something I've really been faced with for a while, and I've got the hump and want to push on with sorting it out, even if it's just for my own personal enjoyment.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1367144430' post='2061593']
Cheers Ray

I'm a bass player, it's been over 20 years since I gigged guitar, but recently I'm just loving acoustic guitar and want to strum again.

I suppose it does not take much effort for me to learn my bass covers, perhaps Ill follow my urge and like you say , it may help my bass playing in other ways I don't see.

Have enjoyed music for years, and I suppose over recent years I've done everything the covers bands have required on bass with trying to hard, and i have given up trying to learn anything beyond that eithesome it theory or playing technique. so picking up the acoustic and getting frustrated at my playing is not something I've really been faced with for a while, and I've got the hump and want to push on with sorting it out, even if it's just for my own personal enjoyment.
[/quote]
Just relax, and start noodling with the guitar;)

Alternate between the 2. It'll improve your bass playing & the bass playing will improve your fingerpicking skills.
It doesn't have to be one day on one, one on t'other. I play one for a few months without touching the other & now...

I'm just about to pick up the acoustic guitar & annoy the Mrs. :ph34r:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367154538' post='2061802']
I can switch effortlessly between bass and guitar, and I barely ever practice.
[/quote]

I'm trying to work out if you're a showoff or if that's the guitarist in you speaking? :yarr:

I just like to play music, and will try anything if it allows me to make musical noises. So I play guitar, bass, keyboards and a variety of electronic noise-making machines. I've dabbled with any fretted stringed instrument I could get my hands on, percussion and if I didn't sound like the Red Dalek, I'd sing too!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1367154975' post='2061807']

I'm trying to work out if you're a showoff or if that's the guitarist in you speaking? :yarr:
[/quote]
Neither. It's not really worth telling the truth in good ol blighty is it. It reminds me of school when anyone good at something would be rounded on and called a show off or a swot or summat.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367161422' post='2061927']
Neither. It's not really worth telling the truth in good ol blighty is it. It reminds me of school when anyone good at something would be rounded on and called a show off or a swot or summat.
[/quote]

I was only messin. :(

Ya Summat! :P

I think that a gigging bass player should force him or herself to play through the set at home on acoustic guitar while singing. It'll make your bass playing contribution at gigs better for it , not worse. It makes you think of where the meat and veg of the song are - the better to know where to put the herbs and spices in and where best to leave well alone.

I play a variety of instruments (to a variety of different standards) and I find that a) it helps me get a view of what the different mindsets need to be but B) it stops me getting bored. Whether it's guitar, double bass, drums, keyboard, banjo or whatever, there's always something I want to play :~)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1367163278' post='2061957']
...It makes you think of where the meat and veg of the song are - the better to know where to put the herbs and spices in and where best to leave well alone.
[/quote]

I think I've burnt the dinner now.