Why become a member? ×

Encourage learners, or 'Tell it like it is'..?

Dad3353

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366152721' post='2049131']
OK cool. So why did you talk all that sh*te then, inferring incorrectly that he had not enough passion, and telling the guy to give up because he said all this new information sometimes feels too much to handle?

Believe me, I have great passion for music and the times I have felt I can't handle all the information being fed to me are very many. It's because of passion that I kept doing it and didn't give up. If a tutor had told me I should just give up because I didn't have enough passion I'd have felt crushed and even more doubtful of my abilities. It takes a long time to get over that, I am still greatly lacking in musical self-confidence because I appreciate the possibilities of our chosen art and craft are limitless.
[/quote]

See, now I wouldn't. I would follow my own path and I would work it through.
I know enough about myself to know that I haven't a snowballs chance in hell if I am not committed.
Of course, later on, you may come up against REAL class... and that is a reality check, but I started by
following influences and practicing a lot. I found huge holes in my education when I joined a function band at 17
so I plugged them. I just did a lot of varied stuff...altho metal or hard/heavy rock never ever interested me.

At no point would someone tell me it wasn't working... but you get to know that if no one comes calling.
I think I have decent ears..and it all starts from there, as far as I am concerned.

I could be quite brutal ...but then I don't need to cultivate work for continuous lessons and I wouldn't want to waste my time.
I guess I am very critical...but I am harder on myself than anyone else...
I've learnt to soften things as no one wants to hear the same old speech all day every day.

I guess I trust my instincts... :lol: :lol: of course, I do.

I would say that you need to do both.

Encouragement is good, but...

Most of the people on here play a musical instrument as a hobby, and even though some of us would like it to be more and others make a useful secondary income out of it, there are really very few people here who rely on their musical prowess to put food on the table and a roof over their heads. So having said that, playing a musical instrument should be fun. If it's not then you need to ask yourself why not and then do something about it.

Playing a musical instrument (especially when you first start) is not easy. Except for some disgustingly talented people most of us have to work fairly hard at it. If it was easy there would be an awful lot more people playing. In a way you need to be thankful that it's not easy. It means that there is still something special about it, and you can have a skill that not everyone can do.

If you want to there's always something more to learn. No matter how accomplished you become, there's always something that will be beyond your abilities of the moment. On the other hand once you're reasonably competent at the basics, there's lots of enjoyment to be had whether it's simply playing along at home with your favourite songs, or going out gigging with a band.

However not everyone is cut out to be a musician. And the only way you're going to find that out is to try it and see. There's no shame in deciding that for whatever reason it's not for you, and if you're not happy with what you are doing now, and don't have the motivation to work for something in the future, then playing an instrument probably isn't the right thing to be doing. Go and use that energy to do something else that you might enjoy more.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366172124' post='2049178']
Yeah, it isn`t nice having words put into your mouth is it
[/quote]

It wasn't I who put any words in your mouth. I just can't take anyone who's been playing for a few weeks and threatening to quit seriously. You say it's hard. What did you expect?

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366215318' post='2049736']
It wasn't I who put any words in your mouth. I just can't take anyone who's been playing for a few weeks and threatening to quit seriously. You say it's hard. What did you expect?
[/quote]
Go on then, where did i say i was quitting, or even threatening to quit? Can you show me where please? It is hard to take you seriously if you lie.
Anyway, on a side note, mostly everyone was encouraging, which i found great, and makes me want to stay.If i find things tough, and i want advice, i will ask in the forum, as that is what i thought was one one of the forums purposes.If people want to respond and give me advice, i will be well chuffed regardless if it is relevant or not, as they have taken time to answer me.If it is a stupid question, then tell me, and give reasons if you feel the need to reply to it.If it is just plain rude or nasty, then fine,no problems. if it includes lies to back up an argument,and put words into my mouth to imply something then i get annoyed

Edited by timmo

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366217563' post='2049771']
Go on then, where did i say i was quitting, or even threatening to quit? Can you show me where please?
[/quote]

Maybe this will refresh your memory.

[i]"If i can`t play something like Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd in 4 years time, i will give up. "[/i]

Maybe you were kidding. At any rate, if you want it, you;ll keep doing it and you'll get as good as you can with the effort exerted. It's as simple as that.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1366220654' post='2049833']
Some people forget what it is like to learn a new skill, I am new to double bass and have asked lots of what may appear to be stupid questions, some answers were obvious once I had been given some advice.
Thankfully the same old people comparing penis size don't tend to frequent that area of the forum :)
[/quote]
time for me to pick up double bass :)

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366221467' post='2049849']
Maybe this will refresh your memory.

[i]"If i can`t play something like Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd in 4 years time, i will give up. "[/i]

Maybe you were kidding. At any rate, if you want it, you;ll keep doing it and you'll get as good as you can with the effort exerted. It's as simple as that.
[/quote]
Your whole argument revolved around me being a whinger, and saying i was quitting.As i have said, i have no arguments over whether i am a whinger, that is your interpretation.If you are saying i should give up now as i said i would give up in 4 years(yes it was not meant to be taken seriously, i must use emoticons more :P ). But even if it was meant seriously, i think giving 4 years is a giving it a good go, and if i still couldn`t play, then i think most people would agree, i should give up.If i went to a tutor, and said , i am struggling, but i am giving myself 4 years to learn a song, i would hope the tutor would say, fine, we could have a good crack at that, as long as you don`t whinge that it is too haard.On the other hand, you would say, as you are going to quit in 4 years time and a whinger, you may as well quit right now.
So yes, i think you are putting words into my mouth by telling everyone on the forum that i said i was quitting

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366227618' post='2049963']
Your whole argument revolved around me being a whinger, and saying i was quitting.As i have said, i have no arguments over whether i am a whinger, that is your interpretation.If you are saying i should give up now as i said i would give up in 4 years(yes it was not meant to be taken seriously, i must use emoticons more :P ). But even if it was meant seriously, i think giving 4 years is a giving it a good go, and if i still couldn`t play, then i think most people would agree, i should give up.If i went to a tutor, and said , i am struggling, but i am giving myself 4 years to learn a song, i would hope the tutor would say, fine, we could have a good crack at that, as long as you don`t whinge that it is too haard.On the other hand, you would say, as you are going to quit in 4 years time and a whinger, you may as well quit right now.
So yes, i think you are putting words into my mouth by telling everyone on the forum that i said i was quitting
[/quote]

You're still whining. Go practice.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1366221897' post='2049856']
To be fair if you can't play freebird in four years time I'd probably have a look at golf clubs or football boots :lol:
[/quote]

Freebird would be far easier than picking up golf or football :lol: :lol:

I know we all learnt it at some point, but is there anythng hard about it...?? :lol: :lol:

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366231015' post='2050010']
Excellent advice :) See, it isn`t hard to give good advice is it :gas:
[/quote]

I still think he could have given you more encouragement, however.

Of course, some people only whine for a hobby. You get a lot of hobbyist whiners, who like recording their whines for Youtube. But some people whine for a living, and thus sometimes need the brutal truth, no?

This thread is boggling, [i]n'est-ce pas?[/i]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1366230855' post='2050008']
Freebird would be far easier than picking up golf or football :lol: :lol:

I know we all learnt it at some point, but is there anythng hard about it...?? :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
But I am not on golfchat or footchat (OK so i might be on that one but its not about football!) so I would not have hear the whinging about being crap :lol:

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1366231498' post='2050025']
If I can't get my leg over Catherine Southon off Bargain Hunt in the next four years I might give up trying.

I could go on about the restraining order but certain people might think I was whining.
[/quote]

Good for you. This is me being encouraging. I'm going to stop there, however, for fear of becoming an accessory to your deviancy.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1366231015' post='2050010']
Excellent advice :) See, it isn`t hard to give good advice is it :gas:
[/quote]

Excellent post!
Kudos for standing up for yourself whilst retaining good form and good analysis.

FWIW, from the look of it I don't like what your teacher does. Its intensity would bring me out of balance, and I've taught composition at music college. This type of theoretical stuff is - [b]mainly[/b] - best served as the confirmation of what your ears have already taught you, but from what you wrote, it seems to me your teacher serves too much too hot.
I may misunderstand, and I may be wrong.

At any rate: good luck! If there's one thing that's worth staying with, it's music. It touches people so deeply.
Adjust the learning curve's steepness, but never ever give up!
(Unless of course you can't nail that effing Leonard Skinner tune by Tuesday next week :P )

best,
bert

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1366233251' post='2050047']
But I am not on golfchat or footchat (OK so i might be on that one but its not about football!)
[/quote]

Didn't want to ask earlier, but I did think it was you. Something about that login name pinknailsPete1977.

best,
bert