Why become a member? ×

Encourage learners, or 'Tell it like it is'..?

Dad3353

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366415321' post='2052476']
I just told it like it is to a fledgling songwriter soliciting opinion on his song in another thread. I was pretty critical but (I thought) encouraging. I copped a couple of slaps in the face by two other members. I feel sh*t now so I won't be doing that again.
[/quote]

I was at an improv class earlier, and after each jam, we were told to give a positive and negative of each others playing. The positive makes you feel good, and the negative makes you focus on improving that. None of us took it personally. Some people gave positives, and they were kind of shot down for being untrue, so then a negative of that person was that they weren't listening enough to other people. Then we had more jams and got better. There were also other things discussed and done that helped us improve.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366416124' post='2052493']

I was at an improv class earlier, and after each jam, we were told to give a positive and negative of each others playing. The positive makes you feel good, and the negative makes you focus on improving that. None of us took it personally. Some people gave positives, and they were kind of shot down for being untrue, so then a negative of that person was that they weren't listening enough to other people. Then we had more jams and got better. There were also other things discussed and done that helped us improve.
[/quote]Good post.

I just told it like it is to a fledgling songwriter soliciting opinion on his song in another thread. I was pretty critical but (I thought) encouraging. I copped a couple of slaps in the face by two other members. I feel sh*t now so I won't be doing that again.
[/quote]
I just read your post post on that thread Nige.

It was honest and gave constructive feedback. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe you could have gone down the 'compliment sandwich' route but I've found that you've got to be pretty careful when giving criticism, particularly with people's creative endeavors. I'd hope the OP takes your thoughts in the spirit they were offered as it was a thoughtful and considered review.

I'm off to take a listen myself now. :)

[/quote]

I would not let it bother me. An opinion was sought and given. That's what forums are for. If people cant handle it...too bad.