Why become a member? ×

Are Loopers the Scourge of the Modern ERBassist?

xilddx

Robert Fripp pioneered looping well before digital loopers and developed a whole musical philosophy around it. Probably the most tedious thing was him expounding that philosophy at gigs.

But then he's not a bassist either. :rolleyes:

Edited by Musky

Another tasteful use of looping that is completely absent of bass, anyone noticing a pattern here?

[url="http://charliebarnes.bandcamp.com/track/final-call-2"]http://charliebarnes.bandcamp.com/track/final-call-2[/url]

That's just my favourite track, check out the whole EP if you like it, he's a bit good.

Back when Michael Manring got the looper out at Bass Day '98 and did a rendition of Teen Town with it, it seemed genuinely amazing. That impact has been lessened by the imitators, and yes, the looper does seem to have become the solo bassist's best friend.

I lamented years ago that we weren't getting epic, Stuart Hamm style bass solos these days simply because players were falling back on the looper, getting the same lick going over and over, then noodling away for a while to little effect. Such a shame.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365509246' post='2040423']
You are never further than 9 feet away from a looper these days. I see very many videos of bassists using them to do improvised solos, usually the ol' 6-stringers. But they all sound much the same.

Now, I understand how useful they are for practice and that, but are they another reason that ERBassists all seem to have similar approaches, licks and sounds?
[/quote]

Maybe because those kinds of players find it hard to fit into a band situation, enter the looper: the ultimate obedient band ;)

I think, as with any effect (disregarding personal preference), there's nothing inherently good or bad about it; it's a matter of it being a tool like any other - some people will use it well while others use it badly. It's just a bit of a case of it being the effect du jour, so there's a lot of it flying around at the moment, but really, [size=4]you could equally say the same of any other bit of kit. [/size]

[quote name='richardjmorgan' timestamp='1365669138' post='2042491']
I think, as with any effect (disregarding personal preference), there's nothing inherently good or bad about it; it's a matter of it being a tool like any other - some people will use it well while others use it badly. It's just a bit of a case of it being the effect du jour, so there's a lot of it flying around at the moment, but really, [size=4]you could equally say the same of any other bit of kit. [/size]
[/quote]

It's not the same as a chorus pedal :)

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1365528454' post='2040777']
Again not bass related,

Looping when done right yields amazing results

This is such a performance

KT Tunstall on Jools

[media]http://youtu.be/pdu_IWxSSk4[/media]
[/quote]There is a really good tutorial by KT TUnstall on YouTube showing exactly how she built up 'Black horse & the cherry tree' which I found when I was doing an option appraisal when I was looking for a looper (Unfortunately I can't link to it as I am at work and YouTube is blocked)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1365688841' post='2042951']
as far as I'm concerned loopers are no different from someone using pre recorded backing tapes, don't like them at all
[/quote]

Hmmm not as easy as that! The player has to play their grooves/loops live and simultaneously hit the record, so it takes a deal of skill to be able to get it right (hit the start or stop a fraction late and your loop is out of time)..

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1365689096' post='2042959']
Hmmm not as easy as that! The player has to play their grooves/loops live and simultaneously hit the record, so it takes a deal of skill to be able to get it right (hit the start or stop a fraction late and your loop is out of time)..
[/quote]
yes there is an extra skill required but it's not the same as seeing a whole band perform, I don't like seeing a drum machine used it's seems like cheating to me, mind you I don't like my music to be overly complicated which is a trap that the loopers I've seen fall into

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1365690241' post='2042979']
yes there is an extra skill required but it's not the same as seeing a whole band perform, I don't like seeing a drum machine used it's seems like cheating to me, mind you I don't like my music to be overly complicated which is a trap that the loopers I've seen fall into
[/quote]

There is no such thing as cheating in music. Only musicians say that sh*t :) Whatever it takes to compose, record, produce and perform the music is cool. The end result is all that matters.

What I can't abide about most of the bassists playing ERBs with loopers is the sheer mediocrity and lack of emotion in their output.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1365691116' post='2043010']
You should probably listen to something else then.
[/quote]

I've never heard any bassists using loopers. I've never wanted to either, that's probably why, doesn't come on the radio much. Or my mp3 player, and nobody I know lends me a copy of it and says "you should listen to this mate, you'd like it".
probably for the best.
:)
I have one solo bass record, Jaco Pastorius first solo album. Most of it is ok.....

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1365691116' post='2043010']
You should probably listen to something else then.
[/quote]
I do. All the time :) But I also heck out lots of music, on here and on Youtube. It's very educational.

Edited by xilddx

http://youtu.be/5qroB6HS23o

I went to see Juana Molina, queen of the loopers, play live after enjoying one of her albums. I found it completely boring the way she set up the loops then just stood there. It had the effect of flattening the music into 2 dimensions or something.

Never seen a bassist do it (apart form Jaco on Youtube) and never want to.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1365694413' post='2043086']
Never seen a bassist do it (apart form Jaco on Youtube) and never want to.
[/quote]

I take it you don't visit the BC Recording section then :) I just noticed there's one at the top of the section right now, but I dare not listen to it and I hope the guy's not offended by this thread! :o

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365695350' post='2043104']
I take it you don't visit the BC Recording section then :) I just noticed there's one at the top of the section right now, but I dare not listen to it and I hope the guy's not offended by this thread! :o
[/quote]

I just went over to have a look. I think I've seen him in other vids; he's an excellent player. But he looks and sounds trapped with that non-variable loop going in the background. There's no modulation going on with the sound, unlike many examples of electronic music, so it's a bit like going back to early sampling when people just looped and that was that. Nowadays listeners want more and demand more textural variation because they've heard looping music that modulates from electronic musicians. There's no way out the loop too: only a few options which once again people are too familiar with.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1365696287' post='2043131']

I just went over to have a look. I think I've seen him in other vids; he's an excellent player. But he looks and sounds trapped with that non-variable loop going in the background. There's no modulation going on with the sound, unlike many examples of electronic music, so it's a bit like going back to early sampling when people just looped and that was that. Nowadays listeners want more and demand more textural variation because they've heard looping music that modulates from electronic musicians. There's no way out the loop too: only a few options which once again people are too familiar with.
[/quote]
Very well said man.