Why become a member? ×

CIJ Precision with USA pickups advice

itsmedunc

[size=4][size=4]I'm looking for some USA replacement pickups for my 2002 CIJ 50's precision. The bass sounds good but I think I can get it to sound much better with a pickup replacement. I was thinking perhaps some 62 reissues or perhaps some quarter pounders. I'm open to suggestion though. Would I be better off with a matching harness? Anybody tried the upgrade?[/size][/size]

I've been through the ringer with precision pickups. My personal favourites are the Lindy Fralin in my Lakland, Seymour Duncan SPB-2 and Di Marzio model P, it depends what your after. I know where your coming from with the CIJ pickups being weak sounding. I'd go for the lindy, classic p tone that really cuts nicely.

I bought my CIJ Precision used, and it had Nordstrands in. Bit polite for me. Tried Seymour Duncan SPB1, bit too deep and mellow. The Fender Original was next, and was good, but then a US Standard came up, so I got that. Purely as it then matches my main bass, as the CIJ is my backup.

For getting the best out of the bass re original Fender type sounds, I`d get the Fender Original Pickup, plus at the same time - as you`re already in there - CTS Pots and Orange Drop capacitor (if not already standard parts). Then essentially, you have the same "guts" as a US Fender.

Tried both - The Fender '62 and the Qtr Pounders are different pickups,

If you want a more traditional sound, go with the Fenders - they're fine pickups with plenty or "air" in the sound. Sound especially nice when you play with your fingers.

Qtr Pounders - also fine pups - are more aggressive sounding with more output. Not as articulate as the Fender's but still big, soild sounding pickups.

If you can find some Fralins, they'all also sound grand.

The are lots of options out there, but some of it'll come down to what you play and if you buy and sell on here it shouldn't be too hard to try them both and move on the one you don't want.

I tried various pups in my MIJ P-Bass - original stocks weren't bad, as it happens, but I tried Seymour Duncan SPB-1, SPB-2, SPB-3, Wizard Thumper and Wizard Trad. Wizard Trad gave me the sound I had in my head. I had one of Ki0gon's wiring looms which, with the screw terminals, made the whole trials process quite easy - now got a P-Retro, which is amazing.

Strangely, perhaps, the most vintage, old school, woody toned P-Bass sounding pups I've had actually came on a Squier Silver Series P. Bass I bought recently. The tone is quite special and it is one of the few basses I have owned that I am fairly happy to keep it as it came out of the case.

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1365113610' post='2035659']
[size=4][size=4]I'm looking for some USA replacement pickups for my 2002 CIJ 50's precision. The bass sounds good but I think I can get it to sound much better with a pickup replacement. I was thinking perhaps some 62 reissues or perhaps some quarter pounders. I'm open to suggestion though. Would I be better off with a matching harness? Anybody tried the upgrade?[/size][/size]
[/quote]

If it's non- export they will be USA pickups anyway.

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1365185137' post='2036587']
[sub][size=4]Hi, I have heard that they maybe USA and also that they are not. To be honest the wiring looks cheap to me so I was swayed to thinking that they weren't USA.[/size][/sub]
[/quote]
Has your bass got the original tuners to the best of your knowledge? If so, look at the plates on the back of the tuners. If they are large plates it is almost certainly a non-export and will almost certainly have USA pickups. If the tuner plates are quite small then they will be Japanese pickups on an export bass. Whatever, if you don't like the way they sound then that's that.

[size=4]The tuners are smaller than these in the link but I would not say they are quite small? [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Fender-Precision-P-Bass-70RI-PB70-70US-Japan-Oly-White-MIJ-CIJ-Free-Ship-/140945188595?pt=Guitar&hash=item20d0fce6f3"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Fender-Precision-P-Bass-70RI-PB70-70US-Japan-Oly-White-MIJ-CIJ-Free-Ship-/140945188595?pt=Guitar&hash=item20d0fce6f3[/url][/size]

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1365190145' post='2036667']
The tuners are smaller than these in the link but I would not say they are quite small? [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Fender-Precision-P-Bass-70RI-PB70-70US-Japan-Oly-White-MIJ-CIJ-Free-Ship-/140945188595?pt=Guitar&hash=item20d0fce6f3"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item20d0fce6f3[/url]
[/quote]
Then yours is like this (pic below) right? And therefore most probably an export bass with a basswood body rather than alder (not that I believe that makes a blind bit of difference) and will have Japanese Fender pups which some people think are inferior to the USA ones. My preference would be to go for a John East active preamp, they retrofit with no mods. Call or email John and you will find him to be remarkably helpful and an absolute gentleman. They are dead easy to fit and solderless apart from the ground, John will help you if you need. You will have wet dreams about your tone after you've installed it http://www.east-uk.com

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1365157924' post='2036005']
I tried various pups in my MIJ P-Bass - original stocks weren't bad, as it happens, but I tried Seymour Duncan SPB-1, SPB-2, SPB-3, Wizard Thumper and Wizard Trad. Wizard Trad gave me the sound I had in my head. I had one of Ki0gon's wiring looms which, with the screw terminals, made the whole trials process quite easy - now got a P-Retro, which is amazing.

Strangely, perhaps, the most vintage, old school, woody toned P-Bass sounding pups I've had actually came on a Squier Silver Series P. Bass I bought recently. The tone is quite special and it is one of the few basses I have owned that I am fairly happy to keep it as it came out of the case.
[/quote]
The Silver Series Ps do have very nice pickups. Came as quite a surprise when I first plugged in as well. :)

[size=4]Hi, thanks for your time everyone. That's the right picture of the tuners on my bass so the pups are more than likely Japanese. The active preamp mod looks excellent and I will certainly bear that in mind but in the meantime a Basschat member has offered to lend me some Seymour Duncans to try out (which I thought was a wonderful gesture). Also, just recently the CIJ has developed a bit of a crackle so I thought rather than send it to a tech to diagnose, it would work out cheaper to buy a decent solderless harness and fit it myself. I do think if the Duncans don't work out I will go for the preamp it really looks fantastic. Thanks again everyone...[/size]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365158692' post='2036017']

If it's non- export they will be USA pickups anyway.
[/quote]

A popular misconception, what fender Japan call USA pickups aren't the same as what you'd find in a USA fender, they are Japanese built and called USA, still weak sounding by comparison.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1365234226' post='2036939']
A popular misconception, what fender Japan call USA pickups aren't the same as what you'd find in a USA fender, they are Japanese built and called USA, still weak sounding by comparison.
[/quote]

Ahh, thank you for that. That will teach me to make assumptions.

I changed the Fender Japan USA pickups in my not-for-export P for a Nordstrand NP4. I know Lozz didn't get on with his, but I really like the sound I get with mine.

I've also got a P-Retro in my bass now. I'd say do the pickups first before you fit a pre-amp: if the pickup sound isn't to your taste then amplifying it further won't fix the problem.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1365254751' post='2037253']
My Fender CIJ Precision is a 2005 '57 RI and is fitted with a Kent Armstrong pup. It has a fantastic tonal response from muddy lows, great for that motown or dub feel through to bright and sparkling highs for slap or an attacking plectrum approach.
[/quote]

+1 for Kent Armstrong, his Vintage P pups are the DB's. My last P had one fitted and it sounded like a pre CBS Fender should.

[i][size=4]I fitted a vintage style harness today and some quarter pounders. It sounds far superior. I will have a play for a couple of days to make sure the qp's are the ones for me but I must say it now has the sound that I have been looking for. Thanks everyone![/size][/i]

• 7 months later...

I revived this thread as I have a PB70 US incoming

If anyone has anymore info re the pickups I'd be interested ?

I'm hoping it will sound like a us vintage pickup should, but if not I'll rob the wizard from my other p

Edited by lojo