Why become a member? ×

Help me plan my new rig

tayste_2000

i run my Trace V4 with just 1 of the Matamp 4x10's and i seriously dont need anything else. ever. Such a killer amount of sound comes out of just one of em. to be able to choose to use one of em or 2 would be incredible. to have 2 x 4x10's and a 2x12 in back up for space saving style gigs would be all kinds of perfect.

So sorry to hear about your gear being robbed, some people need drowning, but you're doing the right thing in looking to the positive and planning more gear :)

I like the sound of sorting out 2 x 4x10's from you 8x10, to run with a new GT200, and maybe see if they can perhaps voice it along the lines of what you're used to?
Another thought: weren't Matamp working on a valve fronted class D head, similar in design to the Orange Bass Terror? Surely that, if its available soon, and your 2x12 would be a magic little rig when you need to travel light?

Eude

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1365000036' post='2033909']
Nah it's all different chasis and would be very expensive to get one specifically made, another option would be buy an older 2 band version and have it reworked.
[/quote]

Figure the specifics stopping a custom job being done. If its Jeff doesn't want to, or they don't have the electronics capability in house, can't help. But if its making a one off chassis and sourcing some discontinued parts, then that can be remedied.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1365005494' post='2034054']
So sorry to hear about your gear being robbed, some people need drowning, but you're doing the right thing in looking to the positive and planning more gear :)

I like the sound of sorting out 2 x 4x10's from you 8x10, to run with a new GT200, and maybe see if they can perhaps voice it along the lines of what you're used to?
Another thought: weren't Matamp working on a valve fronted class D head, similar in design to the Orange Bass Terror? Surely that, if its available soon, and your 2x12 would be a magic little rig when you need to travel light?

Eude
[/quote]

Yeah and oddly enough the prototype is in a red case just not got an idea of an eta on it being released.

Go with 2 x 410's
also keep the 2x12 you have as miss matched gear looks great. if you sit the new gt200 on the flightcase plugged into the 2x12 then you have a wee monster of a rig and it still looks great.

you can always shift one of the 4x10's if you don't need it.

I love the design for the emperor 6x12 cabinets kicking around, i have thought about getting Matamp to make me a cab on the same setup but with tolex ect.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1365007704' post='2034092']
Yeah and oddly enough the prototype is in a red case just not got an idea of an eta on it being released.
[/quote]

Fair enough, but if the insurance company will be paying Matamp directly, could you just keep some credit open with them and snap the head up when it's ready?

• 4 weeks later...

So still waiting on my insurance claim to come through and no sign of the gear, the police closed the case 5 days after the robbery.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Depending on the price I'm given keep the 8x10 or convert it to 2 4x10's currently I'm going to keep it an 8x10

So due to keeping the big red 8x10 I'm trying to get a colour config of the head that would go and not look (too) mismatched. So black with red racing stripes and then keeping the theme of racing/car and the fact I'm still feeling very wounded over being robbed, instead of getting an On and Standby switch I'm looking in to a car ignition where there first position would be off, then standby, then fully on :D essentially meaning the amp needs a key

Then as my TaySte switch worked so well for me for 3+ years I never once click it off to mess with the front eq and never once went into the amp to change the settings this new Matamp will have 2-3 knobs on the front, one for Volume, one for Gain and one as the active input volume cut so I can set how much the active input cuts, like a pre gain but tbh this is feeling redundant and I'm probably going to get it with 1 input and just tweak the gain depending on bass output.

As for additional IO, I'm going to get this head made with the transformer for the DI like the Meat DI so I've got a really high quality DI on the head, it's going to have a slave input as my other amp purchase is likely to be a vintage Ampeg B-15 and it would be nice to slave that into the Matamp (you know just as an option). The DI on the head will mean if I want to do some recording I can just get a 100w load box and DI the head and make sure the head isn't cranked when hooked to the load box :D it's big and it's heavy but I think my recording now is so few and far between I don't care.

So the idea is B15 does small to medium gigs, Matamp does medium to large gigs and I maybe look at a small digital amp (currently the Ampeg PF350) to sit on my Matamp 2x12 as my lightweight portable rig

Thoughts?

If you are still looking, the DB is the DB's..

There is just no substitute for weight for weight in a sound... IMO.
I took mine out last night... and it is too much for a pub, really...but all the musos in the crowd noticed it
and loved it.