Why become a member? ×

Help me plan my new rig

tayste_2000

So as some of you may have seen http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203730-all-my-matamp-gear-stolen/ most of my Matamp gear has been stolen. Well I received a call from the police today and they've closed the case as they have no other leads.

So luckily I was insured, the other guys weren't but I was (lucky me obviously) so while this maybe a mistake and I'm setting myself up for another fail (you never know how an insurance company is going to play ball) I need cheering up and I figure the best way to do that is to start planning what I can get as a replacement rig.

Now a few things to bear in mind:
There is no payout the insurance company will be sending a cheque/payment to matamp for replacement equipment
I do want to stick with Matamp, I had the perfect amp, loved it to bits and they are a very supportive company

Issues:
The speakers that were in the 4x10 Matamp don't use/can't get anymore
The red tolex is difficult to get, difficult to fit and largely the wrong colour
They don't make the 2 band GT200 only the newer 3 band version, not a bad head but it does have a mildly different sound
The new GT200 is wider than the old GT200 so the 2x12 they didn't get is too small to fit under the new heads
The Bass 200 they took is completely irreplacable

Mind set:
Part of me just thinks, give it, get a combo, get an ultralight rig, you just passed an audition with a 20 year old Peavey TNT, find a way of getting the money back and just bank it as you'll never have a rig that good again. So even replacing it with a new GT200 and 4x10 won't yield the same results as before.

Options
So I've been left with a red 2x12 and a red 8x10, my thoughts are is try to sell the 2x12 as the new head won't fit under it, take a hit but heyho not the worst one you've taken this month. The 8x10 is a difficult sell, most people don't want one let alone a big red one, so take it to Matamp, get them to build me 2 new 4x10's with the speakers out of the 8x10 (the same speakers as my stolen 4x10) and between this and reusing the grills will massively reduce the cost of these cabs. Then just leave the 8x10 carcus at Matamp for them to make a cheap cab out of for some young player to have upon seeing it in the factory.

Then I can get these new 4x10s and the new head all done in a matching colour (thinking white?) and then get the cross over'd 1x18 I'd considered before the theft, giving me 3 evenly sized cabs that can be 4x10, 8x10, 4x10/1x18

The only downside with the above is I recently left my band and really my amp requirement is at most a GT200 and 4x10

So guys thinking out loud, options, thoughts, colour schemes, comforting words etc

Cheers

Sounds like you've got a plan. GT200 and 410 - everything else is surplus to requirements. Nice to have yes but ultimately a pain in the arse to move.

If you got any money left from selling your cab, invest in some nice cables, or maybe wireless systems, both for your bass and your ears.

PS - white cabs looks ace. Not sure how white they'll stay.

Edited by EBS_freak

For colour scheme I`d go for black. You never know what bands you may try out for in the future who might look at a different colour schemed set-up and veto based purely on that. Shouldn`t make a difference, but you never know. Re the actual gear, go with your thoughts, GT200 and 410. I can`t imagine needing more, and if you do, at that point get another 410.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1364993200' post='2033733']
Sounds like you've got a plan. GT200 and 410 - everything else is surplus to requirements. Nice to have yes but ultimately a pain in the arse to move.

If you got any money left from selling your cab, invest in some nice cables, or maybe wireless systems, both for your bass and your ears.

PS - white cabs looks ace. Not sure how white they'll stay.
[/quote]

Actually selling a Shure PSM200 and 2 x Line 6 G30's want to go to a more simple setup as it is.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1364993858' post='2033745']
Actually selling a Shure PSM200 and 2 x Line 6 G30's want to go to a more simple setup as it is.
[/quote]

I know. Sell them, then buy some really nice in-ears. The PSM200 really doesn't cut it.

I know someone selling a nice Matamp rig in red tolex.

Only messing. :yarr:

I'd be seriously surprised if your rig never turns up.

Your "Get Matamp to chop up the 8x10" sounds like a plan. Your insurance money could then fund you a new GT200. Though if it was me, I'd get a good combo (as that's what I did).

Edited by xgsjx

I like the idea of making 2 4X10s from your 8X10 - then you can have the flexibility of 2 4X10s and still have the drivers you want. So the new GT200 isn't quite the same as your old GT200, but it's closer than anything else is going to be, isn't it? :)

A GT200 and 2 Matamp 4X10s would make me a very happy bunny indeed and must surely go some way to cheering you up a little bit..? :) [size=4]As for colour, have you considered blue? I saw a new Hiwatt in blue a while back that I thought was very groovy...[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1364994378' post='2033755']
There is a lovely looking Mesa Boogie Buster 200 1x15 combo for sale, but really Matamp have looked after me over the years.

And please don't joke, it will not be well received, thanks.
[/quote]

I feel your pain man.

Stick with the Matamp. Anything else will always be second best in your mind. Take your time though, think about what you really want... we can't (and shouldn't) decide for you!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1364994547' post='2033762']
I feel your pain man.

Stick with the Matamp. Anything else will always be second best in your mind. Take your time though, think about what you really want... we can't (and shouldn't) decide for you!
[/quote]

it's nice talking through the ideas with like minded people though :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1364994408' post='2033756']
I like the idea of making 2 4X10s from your 8X10 - then you can have the flexibility of 2 4X10s and still have the drivers you want. So the GT200 isn't quite the same as your old GT200, but it's closer than anything else is going to be, isn't it? :)

A GT200 and 2 Matamp 4X10s would make me a very happy bunny indeed and must surely go some way to cheering you up a little bit..? :) [size=4]As for colour, have you considered blue? I saw a new Hiwatt in blue a while back that I thought was very groovy...[/size]
[/quote]

If you want to do that, go 4 2x10s. OK, effectively the same but easier to carry, take only the ones you need for the gig... and visually it looks stunning because there are so many cabs! Again, depends upon budget - but you would have a very recognisable rig. I'm not a Matamp guy by any means but I know of your (missing) rig... and I would get to know of a 4 210 Matamp rig!

Edited by EBS_freak

Another option is get 2 2x12's built to sit on their sides so speakers are horizontal and not vertical because the 2x12 is a lovely light huge sounding cab.

Another option is use some the insurance money to get it all flightcased as well, but never liked taking the 4x10 off the floor, it lost a lot of umph

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1364995288' post='2033777']
GT200 and two 4x10s.

Use your 8x10 cab speakers as you mentioned.

Get it voiced how you want.

Colour? I love white gear, but white tolex won't stay white for long. I'd suggest perhaps a cool green, slate grey, or indeed black with chrome hardware.
[/quote]

Chrome vinyl, black hardware :P

Yeah I know the white is a PITA, maybe something really vintage, basket weave speaker grills, piping.

mate, i am totally gutted for you for how you lost that gear. i hope the people who did it end up in the bottom of a canal, with aids.

As for new stuff i would go GT200 new one, can the benifit of an added mid range dial be such a bad thing? and like you say, it could be a pain to shift on an 8x10 in this day so i would get it chopped up into 2 4x10s. I would also keep the 212 and sod the colour mis match always a good thing to have a smaller cab knocking around for gigs where you just cant be bothered with lugging much or for at home. great cabs.

I have a Matamp 4x10 in the black reptile tolex and its great. proper cool.

Good luck dude.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1364994378' post='2033755']
There is a lovely looking Mesa Boogie Buster 200 1x15 combo for sale, but really Matamp have looked after me over the years.

And please don't joke, it will not be well received, thanks.
[/quote]
Sorry Ste, accept my apologies if I offended you.

Silly Q time... Why not 2 2x12s in a vertical array? It would be a killer rig. :)