Why become a member? ×

Now i'm ticked off...

SO there i was yesterday at bandpractise yesterday, playing my bass. (Ibanez SR900) However i don't like to blend into the backgorund so i'l normally be spining jumping etc.

Then i decided to the old flip around you head thinking it's got these...

so after two spins, all was going well then on the third SNAP and the bottom lok strap broke causing the bass to end up about 6 feet away form me. It would have been more had a door not stopped it!

Damage: Lots of scratches but luckilly only skin deep.

Results: A very p!ssed off me

Damn, unlucky mate. I know better than to chuck around my pride and joy(s) :) I dropped a bass on stage once (Warwick Streamer) because the strap slipped off the button and I was gutted because the impact on the floor snapped off the screw on one of the machine heads, but probably more gutted that a pissed crowd of about 150-200 people laughed their tits off and took the piss for the rest of the gig. Ever since then I’ve been so careful with straps and stuff.

I've often fantasised about doing this but three things have stopped me: -

1) The prospect of injuring myself
2) The prospect of injuring my beloved bass
3) The prospect of looking an utter tit when it all goes wrong

But respect to you sir, for daring the risks and having some (albeit short-lived) success.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough faith in either strap locks, or my ability to not knock myself unconcious. :)

Good grief, you're lucky you didn't decapitate someone!

There's an interesting thought. If a chicken can run around for 10 seconds after you've chopped it's head off, how long do you reckon a drummer can maintain the beat under the same circumstances?

:)

[quote name='Galilee' post='207887' date='May 28 2008, 10:50 AM']Good grief, you're lucky you didn't decapitate someone!

There's an interesting thought. If a chicken can run around for 10 seconds after you've chopped it's head off, how long do you reckon a drummer can maintain the beat under the same circumstances?

:huh:[/quote]

haha, good question. I'd love to try it out on drummer from a previous band I was involved with :) - never lend a drummer anything because you will never get it back

[quote name='Galilee' post='207887' date='May 28 2008, 10:50 AM']Good grief, you're lucky you didn't decapitate someone!

:)[/quote]

would have to ask: can the drummer keep time/beat in the first place??

I tried the "throwing-the-bass-over-your-sholder-so-it-swings-back-around-and-catch-it" thing.....

....hit me in the back of the leg on the down swing and knocked me to the floor.

Good job I was in my room and noone saw it lol. hurt like hell though. I didnt try it again.

[quote name='andy67' post='207896' date='May 28 2008, 10:59 AM']would have to ask: can the drummer keep time/beat in the first place??[/quote]

Better still, once you've decapitated your drummer, attach one of these to the stump and you've killed two birds with one stone: -

[url="http://www.turnkey.co.uk/product/boss-dr880-32-voice-patternbased-drum-machine/"]Replacement Head[/url]

:)[/quote]
Perhaps if you do it at the right moment, it'll stop him from speeding up as he goes?

[quote]However i don't like to blend into the backgorund so i'l normally be spining jumping etc.[/quote]

And you do this at band practice why may i ask??
Fair game at a show, but at practices?? come on!
Blend into the background at band practice?? its not asif theres gonna be alot of you is there?
If i was you i'd put more energy into writing at practice rather than dancing around like a lunatic :)

just my 2cents worth.

-Jake

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='207996' date='May 28 2008, 01:01 PM']And you do this at band practice why may i ask??
Fair game at a show, but at practices?? come on!
Blend into the background at band practice?? its not asif theres gonna be alot of you is there?
If i was you i'd put more energy into writing at practice rather than dancing around like a lunatic :)

just my 2cents worth.

-Jake[/quote]

Surely band practice is the IDEAL place to practice your stage moves?

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='208018' date='May 28 2008, 01:31 PM']Me and my band tend to write at practices. We don't really have [i]Stage moves[/i]
At a gig, you just do what you do don't ya??

Jake[/quote]
Some bands maybe (and I've never been in a band with rehearsed stage moves), but if you're going to have a carefully choreographed stage show or if you're going to swing your bass around your head, it's probably best to practise it! I'm guessing Nirvana just improvised though :)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='208028' date='May 28 2008, 01:44 PM']....Thats why on many straplok boxes it says that it's only for normal gigging use, not for dancing around like that....[/quote]
OK, the only option is to use a straplock and then Gaffer it all to the bass.

[quote name='chris_b' post='208038' date='May 28 2008, 01:58 PM']OK, the only option is to use a straplock and then Gaffer it all to the bass.[/quote]

that's what I was just about to say...damn it! It's the best way to go though if you don't want it falling off, but only do it with a cheap bass or if you're sponsored :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='207886' date='May 28 2008, 10:50 AM']Krist Novoselić, nuff said.[/quote]

ZING!!! I watched that as it happened as a kid. I swore I'd never pull any stupid stage moves 'cos I may end up looking a tit and end up in hospital.