Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision v Warwick Corvette $$

Kobra11

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1364409335' post='2026140']
Totally different basses, you need to decide what you want from a bass before picking between 2 wildly different instruments
[/quote]

Agreed. The $$ will not approximate the P bass tone well at all. If you want a P tone, buy a P (well, actually I'd recommend buying a G&L SB-2 !). Warwick $$'s are very versatile, but the P tone is not one they do well at all.

Both great basses... So although not always a good strategy... who are your favourite players? What do they use?

If versatility is your thing, perhaps the Warwick. But if you like that new string twang.... could be the P. Are you pick or fingers... Warwick is kind of a more fingers bass, P has many fine pick players to commend it...

Finally, not very artistic but you could go with the economics... what's the best deal you can get?

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1364411042' post='2026168']
Both great basses... So although not always a good strategy... who are your favourite players? What do they use?

If versatility is your thing, perhaps the Warwick. But if you like that new string twang.... could be the P. Are you pick or fingers... Warwick is kind of a more fingers bass, P has many fine pick players to commend it...

Finally, not very artistic but you could go with the economics... what's the best deal you can get?
[/quote]
I must admit more of my favorite players play P's than Warwicks

Im more of a pick guy but trying to build the fingers up (one day ill be able to gallop like Steve Harris :D )

out of the 2 ive been looking at, the warwick is about £200 cheaper (for a used, the P is new)

I have a Squier PJ and a Warwick $$ so not sure about a proper fender P but totally agree with the above about different sounds and how difficult it is to get a P sound out of the warwick (you can get some way there though). $$ is a great bass though, very versatile and pretty high quality IMO. With the pick-ups in parallel mode you can get some really heavy sounds cooking if that's what you're after.

Yep, I'd go with the comments here.

They are two quite different things. The Warwick has a great feel and quality about it. The neck's on Warwicks are really great. Really, really great. But a Warwick will sound nothing like a Precision.

You'd have to play them and hear them side-by-side really. Then, it's whatever floats your boat.

For me, it's the Fender USA Precision all day long - but there are a lot on here that swear by Warwicks.

Go test them in a shop somewhere.

As a bassist who for years avoided Precisions, and had a sound in my head that the many basses I tried couldn`t really get, it finally dawned on me that the sound I was coveting was that of all of my fave players - who played Precisions, dur.

I don`t know why I avoided them, probably because they were "expensive". But in reality, I should have just bought a US Standard at the start. So if trying to obtain Precision tones, get one, other basses can get near, but I always found a certain something was missing until I got a Precision. It then became a quest of finding the right one - and I now have it, a 2011 US Standard.