Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino...once again...how sh*t hot is he?

merello

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1373708100' post='2140743']
Well, that's the nice thing about music : that something "happens"... not that I expect it to come from the bass only.
[/quote]

This is why I listen to music.... :)

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1374676455' post='2151701']
I saw Pino here in Belgium with PSP (twice) and each time I left the concerthall with the same thought : "this is the "best" player I have ever heard". "Best" like in "taste", "versatility" "personality""timing""phrasing"..
[/quote]Yeah his work with PSP is brilliant. It's a shame that the video of him with Manu Katche and Dominic Miller has been taken down from YouTube, as his work on that also shows his technical prowess, feel and timing in a jazz type setting.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1374665394' post='2151450']
I'm sure he doesn't lose sleep over your opinion of his ability...
[/quote]

Why would he? Anymore than I would lose sleep over his opinion of mine. Doesn't negate it, tho ;)

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1374664904' post='2151440']
When you say 'journeyman playing', I presume you're not including his astonishing fretless work with Paul Young, Gary Numan, etc etc etc. I know it's all a fair few years back but you can bet your boots he can still play the stuff and, my god, I wish my playing was as 'journeyman' as that..!
[/quote]

It was lovely, but 'astonishing'? Isn't that a little hyperbolic :)

If it would have only been "lovely" all the bassplayers around me wouldn't have been floored when those Paul Young-records came out... we were astonished, we had never heard anything like that before (the plucks in the chorus of "Come back and stay")..surely not in "pop-music", fretless had settled in fusion but you wouldn't hear it in that degree on the radio in the charts.. It's a perception which is hard to grasp so many years later (the same thing with Mark King).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1374683475' post='2151833']
Take this guy, Neil Jason. Plays a great groove, serves the song etc. Why no kudos?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbmv70uvJ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbmv70uvJ8[/url]
[/quote]

I'm guessing that it could be to do with the UK session scene being a smaller pond, so the splashes don't have to be so big.

Also, maybe he never 'owned' one of the most defining bass sounds of an era? Or maybe it's because he never joined The Who? So many variables.

Well, I really like Neil Jason but I doubt that I would know it's him when they would do a blindfold test... that's a thing Pino has : certainly on fretless you would know within five seconds it's him but I don't have that ability with lots of other bassplayers how great they might be...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1374684479' post='2151864']
That'll be an octave divider :lol:
[/quote]Plus chorus, the same as as Tony Levin on Sledgehammer, but you'd never confuse the two.

It also has to be remembered, given an earlier comment, that both Steve Jordan and John Mayer have said publicly that Pino is 'The Man' (generally regarded as huge kudos I believe) so they recognise something above and beyond in his playing.

And of course they have no relationship with him and no vested interest in him being that aforementioned .man'!! I have heard Kool and The Gang consider Robert Bell aka 'Kool' to be the best bass player in the world..... :blink:

[size=4]Of course, he is a great groove player etc so, if you subscribe to the idea that a bass should 'get off on making other people sound good' then 'other people' are going to rate them. I think Paul Chambers's reputation was based on the same idea.[/size][size=4] [/size]

• 3 weeks later...

Small interview with PSP and some live footage (I was there at that gig, bass sounded better than here on this vid).
There's a bass solo on the fretless if you skip some of the talking which is going on...

[url="http://www.jazzrocktv.de/jazzrocktv-31-psp-philippe-saisse-simon-phillips-pino-palladino/"]http://www.jazzrocktv.de/jazzrocktv-31-psp-philippe-saisse-simon-phillips-pino-palladino/[/url]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1374664097' post='2151424']
If half of us had Steve Jordan (and, indeed, Mayer) to bounce off and played that often as a trio, we would probably sound that good.
[/quote]

I disagree. So there. But I would like to give it a go.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1374664097' post='2151424']
I am not being critical of PP but I do wonder what he would sound like if someone put a third chord in there? (Meeeeoooow!)

Seriously, tho', I have no problem with Pino (he's a Cardiff boy and I did most of my early playing around there) but I think he is possibly the most overrated player in the canon. He is good at what he does but most of it is journeyman playing. If half of us had Steve Jordan (and, indeed, Mayer) to bounce off and played that often as a trio, we would probably sound that good.
[/quote]

When I spoke to Simon Phillips about Pino he just gushed about him, at the time Anthony Jackson was stood next to both of us and when I asked Anthony about Pino, he just held his hands up, expressed his complete admiration for the guy. Everyone I've read about who's worked with him seem to suggest his playing is just pure gold dust. The man has spanned multiple genres and has redefined bass roles within numerous genres. He is consistently spoken about by his peers with the utmost respect.

I get why you might have a bit of a thing against him being less than theoretically 'qualified', it seems to be a constant hang up of yours, but everything points to the contrary when you listen to his playing. Overrated is overrated. Pino isn't overrated.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1376183595' post='2170657']
I asked Anthony about Pino, he just held his hands up, expressed his complete admiration for the guy.

Overrated is overrated. Pino isn't overrated.
[/quote]
I'd love to be overrated by Anthony Jackson :D

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1376206378' post='2170712']
I'd love to be overrated by Anthony Jackson :D
[/quote]

I had that pleasure when he asked me to never ever enter the stage, and to just keep enjoying my playing in the bedroom.
Enjoying, yes.
Bedroom, yes.
But playing?
I'm sooo overrated by Anthony Jackson! :lol:

best,
bert

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1374683156' post='2151829']
I am not slagging him off, just wondering why the cult of personality with this one player over 1,000 others of equal standing?
[/quote]

Without entering a debate about his capabilities, which I know nothing about as I don't know the guy, the cult of personality thing IME is just stuff that happens, and I tend to compare it more to the normal/binomial distribution of the balls at the bottom of a Galton box (bean machine) than to actual "formal" "deservedness".

In the keyboards world we'd see great players like Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson overshadowing greater players of the same style period, like Dave Stewart and Kerry Minnear.

Nothing to use time on, imho, other than bringing others to the fore.

b,
b

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1376221491' post='2170869']

In the keyboards world we'd see great players like Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson overshadowing greater players of the same style period, like Dave Stewart and Kerry Minnear.
[/quote]I remember Dave Stewart and saw him supporting Steve Hillage at The Lyceum in London.

With regard to PP, Wherever I Lay My Hat was one of the few occasions I'd heard a bass player and thought "Who's that?" after that I was always interested in what he was doing. Previous to that (and coincidentally given recent history) it was only John Entwhistle that opened my ears to bass, that and Andy Fraser's playing on Mr Big. That Pino has played with so many big names as their session player of choice adds weight to the general consensus that he is a bit good. People's opinions will vary of course, for instance there are players held in very high regard where I go "Meh."