Why become a member? ×

What's the point of a thumbrest BELOW the strings?

ingmar808

Leo Fender (who was not a bass player) intended the player to grasp the bar with his fingers and pluck the strings with his thumb. In this position it's known as a tug-bar. In the upper position it's known as a thumb-rest. :)

The bar/rest was moved from the treble side to the bass side (at least on P-Basses) during 73/74.

Edited by discreet

Ah, now... yes...

As my teach pointed out a few weeks ago, if you want that really 'thwumpy' DB sound, and you mute with your palm/along the pinky, and play with the thumb only, then the rest would be in the perfect place to rest your three fingers...

Nice sound, but the rest isn't really necessary me thinks... :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1363969654' post='2020342']
Some people call it a tug bar.

I wouldn't buy a beer in one of those.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363969876' post='2020348']
I ended up with a sore knob and about £500 the poorer.
[/quote]
[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1363971719' post='2020381']
That was one hell of a pint!!!! :o
[/quote]

Bollinger & lime, perhaps.............

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1363988071' post='2020735']
As my teach pointed out a few weeks ago, if you want that really 'thwumpy' DB sound, and you mute with your palm/along the pinky, and play with the thumb only, then the rest would be in the perfect place to rest your three fingers...
[/quote]

Not really. Try palm muting with your hand close to the neck, it's really difficult because even the slightest pressure dampens the string too much. Now try it closer to the bridge - much easier. I don't think palm muting was a consideration.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1363969556' post='2020339']
Here's a pic of Brian Wilson playing the bass this way in the Beach Boys back in the 60s

[attachment=130717:Brian+Wilson+1-Brian+in+fur+jacket.jpg]
[/quote]

It does look a bit funny and ackward.
Nice furry parka though.....

I guess it's a result of electric bass being pretty much an entirely new invention back then. No one was really sure how to play it! Leo might have had a particular idea at the time, but over the years players have explored and pushed what the instrument can do and it's evolved. Fashion is a big factor too...everyone seems to be putting the bridge and pickup covers they took off in the 80s back on now!