Why become a member? ×

Replacing P bass neck

charic

It looks like my MIM p bass is going to get pimped up soon :D

I've been in touch with Mr Shuker and the spec is currently looking like the below

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
34" Scale[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
20/21 frets[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
maple neck[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
flame maple board[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
2 way truss rod[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
carbon fibre reinforcement[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
black block markers[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
black f/board binding[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
jumbo fretwire[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
brass nut[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
MOP side dots[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
black headstock and neck back[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
To go on this :) (will have a MOP plate, that I have on it atm)

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:4697][/size][/font]

• 3 weeks later...

Bass is with Jon now after a fairly scary car journey (bloody satnav is out to kill me I think),we're still working out what to do about the decal but that's the only sticking point now.

We've decided to reuse the tuners from the MIM neck as there's nothing wrong with them :)

You should've seen the look on my bands face when I turned up with my 6 string instead of my precision! Priceless :D

• 4 months later...

Things are well underway with Jon and the spraying will be happening soon. As my dear nan departed I've decided the decal should be her name which rather happily happens to be Miriam or Mim to everyone who knew her. So... the headstock is going to have "MIM" written on it which is a happy coincidence as it started life as a Mim fender :D

Here's a rough mockup!

[attachment=143127:MIM.png]

My design skills are near non existent so any ideas are quite welcome :)

Nice touch with your Nan's name on the headstock my fretless has my Great Uncle's (he worked on the body) initials on the headstock, they are a lot smaller then your MIM will be though.

Edited by Rumple

I like to see a different decal rather than an aftermarket copy ......even (or especially) if it's a bit of a micky take, like those Faker ones. Personal ones are the best though, mine will all have the name Rubis on them which is from my childrens' names Ruby and Lewis, and they helped to choose the font. Hopefully one day, long after I'm gone, they will keep them and play them and remember helping to make them Maybe yours will become a long lasting reminder of your Nan

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1378385759' post='2199475']
Things are well underway with Jon and the spraying will be happening soon. As my dear nan departed I've decided the decal should be her name which rather happily happens to be Miriam or Mim to everyone who knew her. So... the headstock is going to have "MIM" written on it which is a happy coincidence as it started life as a Mim fender :D

Here's a rough mockup!

[attachment=143127:MIM.png]

My design skills are near non existent so any ideas are quite welcome :)
[/quote]

Thats a really nice touch

• 2 months later...

I've got it and... it's now the nicest playing bass I own! Including the ACG! :blink:

Here's some pics! I completely forgot to take pics of the back but that's all painted black too :D

Jon actually went further with the decal than expected and instead of putting a white decal on, somehow he just didn't paint the area where my nans name is and it's the wood underneath showing through B)

[attachment=148726:2013-11-17 13.23.16.jpg][attachment=148727:2013-11-17 13.23.24.jpg][attachment=148728:2013-11-17 13.23.37.jpg][attachment=148729:2013-11-17 17.25.03.jpg][attachment=148730:2013-11-17 17.25.15.jpg][attachment=148731:2013-11-17 17.25.32.jpg][attachment=148732:2013-11-17 17.25.42.jpg][attachment=148733:2013-11-17 17.26.02.jpg][attachment=148734:2013-11-17 17.26.11.jpg]