Why become a member? ×

Plaese remove

haimesy

[quote name='haimesy' timestamp='1362852030' post='2005391']
Thought this might interest some of you , I picked up this bass from a local music shop who had bought a number of guitars and basses in an estate sale , the story goes they were in a room where it appears some heavy cigarette smoking had been going on for i assume 20 to 30 years.
The pics that follow should maybe go on the back of a cigarette packet as a warning message.
I took a punt and bought it , having never attempted any of my own repairs in over 20 years of playing bass , it was i little risky...But my god what fun it was bringing this lovely bass back to life.
It was a grim cleaning process in the kitchen [understanding wife you know]
The bass stank up the place and so did the turps , t cut and any product i thought might clean it , also the bass was actually sticky..Almost finished now ...Hope you like , here are just a few of the pics i took ..John
Thanks to BCer Kevin Lindsay for all the amazing Fender advice..Top man
[/quote]

Aha.....an enthusiastic smoker and guitarist, from Edinburgh, has just told me that 'Guitar Guitar' got a hold of 81 smoke damaged guitars all in the same state (but different vintages). Would that be the shop you got this one?

I think everyone the shop bought was in the same sort of state , they had been hanging on a rope around the living room .
believe it or not it plugged in a played straight off and i hardly had to adjust the action..

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1362853985' post='2005437']
Aha.....an enthusiastic smoker and guitarist, from Edinburgh, has just told me that 'Guitar Guitar' got a hold of 81 smoke damaged guitars all in the same state (but different vintages). Would that be the shop you got this one?
[/quote]
[quote name='haimesy' timestamp='1362854427' post='2005447']
I think everyone the shop bought was in the same sort of state , they had been hanging on a rope around the living room .
believe it or not it plugged in a played straight off and i hardly had to adjust the action..
[/quote]
I'm slightly confused. Were there 81 guitars all hanging from a rope in a living room full of smokers?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1362856307' post='2005467']
I'm slightly confused. Were there 81 guitars all hanging from a rope in a living room full of smokers?
[/quote]

I have seen smelly guitars before, damaged by years of gigging in smokey pubs. But this does look quite extreme. My theory is that it was caused by smoke damage from a fire rather than chain smoking Rastafarians. But however it got into this state, I have to say it's a lovely restoration job.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1362856900' post='2005470']
I have seen smelly guitars before, damaged by years of gigging in smokey pubs. But this does look quite extreme. My theory is that it was caused by smoke damage from a fire rather than chain smoking Rastafarians. But however it got into this state, I have to say it's a lovely restoration job.
[/quote]
It is a lovely restoration and I don't doubt that tobacco or marijuana smoking or having an open fire can have serious (although perhaps not this serious) effects but the story didn't seem to make sense.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1362856900' post='2005470']
[/quote]

+1 on this . There is no way that staining has come from years of residual exposure to cigarrette smoke . It looks like the bass has been in a house fire to me , or similar .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='haimesy' timestamp='1362859102' post='2005510']
Hi all .. I am only telling you what I was told .. Put up the pics for people to look at not make me feel like liar .. John
[/quote]

Don't get defensive - I don't think anyone is suggesting you're a liar. :)