Why become a member? ×

Basses and space and a dilemma...

LukeFRC

So excitingly I get married in a month! Woo.
And we've a flat we're moving into once we are married- it's a little two bedroom place- so we do have a spare bedroom - but all the rooms are pretty small.

Now I have a fair bit of bass/guitar stuff... the bass amp being the main one - though we've a space for that,

but currently my 3 basses are all sat in a nice rack. Easy for picking up and playing around the home- and the cases are all stashed in the basement. We won't have space for all that in the new place.
Add onto that my lovely but hardly played Yamaha SG electric and the (again hardly played) Line 6 mini amp i have with it....

Seems my options will be store most the stuff in it's cases in a cupboard and have just one bass out for playing, or thin down the amount of stuff I have... or just stuff it and have clutter everywhere. (if it weren't rented flat I would hang them on the wall)

I just wondered if anyone else had had similar dialemmas and what you did?

I scanned your post and read "Getting married, nice rack" :D

On a serious note I only have a small room for practice but I have five hooks, like you say that is not an option. I have just put a double bass in our bedroom up the corner too! Our guitarist has one of those fold out stagg guitar racks that can hold a few without taking up too much room?

This is quite compact
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockstand_rs_20885_gitarreneckstaender.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...eckstaender.htm[/url]

This is less than a metre wide
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_gitarrenstaender.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...renstaender.htm[/url]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Well firstly congratulations mate! :)

Mrs Skol and I have been living in a two bed flat since we married a couple of years ago, so I'm familiar with this set up! Can't offer much useful advice - our approach has been to keep the flat tidy apart from the spare bedroom, which is where we keep the 'clutter' (a broad term that also includes my music gear, apparently ;) ). Worked for us but meant re-arranging and re-packing stuff, like a giant game of Tetris, whenever we had people staying over.

We're selling up and moving out soon (no room left with Skol jnr now onboard!) but my next step would otherwise have been to fit wall-mounted guitar hooks - mainly to save space but also to keep my basses out of reach from sticky little fingers...

Anyway, all the best for the big day!

Cheers for the replies guys!
Yeah, wall mounts would be the way forward... if it weren't a rented flat so no holes in walls. As it is I have a stand a wee bit smaller than the second one you recomended Stingraypete - except with the way it stands them up it needs a 20-30 cm space behind it- Just not space we have. Stupid Divan beds mean that we don't have space under them- there is enough space in cupboards that I think all the cases will be able to fit in there and then one of the basses can sit on the spare bed or something. :) any way we'll work it out!

Now where do I stash the bike frame I just bought! :o

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1362824719' post='2005198']
You don't need any basses "out".

Keep them under the bed/sofa until you need one.
[/quote]

But it's much better to show them off! :D

Also, I'm much more likely to randomly pick one up and play it for 20 minutes if I can actually see it! All of my basses with new strings on stay in the case.. The ones with older strings are always out,and fair game!

• 3 weeks later...

So today I woke up and looked across my bedroom and there was no bass gear there (house share so they like in my room)
It's a very odd feeling.

It's all in my/our new house that I'll move into in a week or so- rented so no chance of wall hangers.
We've ended up with the amp in a corner, one bass out next to it and at the moment the yamaha electric guitar out as well.
In a cupbaord are the other two basses and the wee guitar amp.

It's an odd situation - I can imagine I'm going to get fed up with it hiding away and sell a bass and the guitar or something - I just can't see the point in having things like that hidden away in cupbards. Or just wait till we move someplace else- I dunno.
I guess it makes me think more about what I value in basses- the fact that it's quite easy to fill your time and brain with different instruments cos, well you need that tone or whatever - and while it's nice to have.... you don't need it do you? I kinda respect Chris2112 on that who only seems to have one bass at a time.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1364235448' post='2023642']
I guess it makes me think more about what I value in basses- the fact that it's quite easy to fill your time and brain with different instruments cos, well you need that tone or whatever - and while it's nice to have.... you don't need it do you? I kinda respect Chris2112 on that who only seems to have one bass at a time.
[/quote]

Agree, I may "want" more than one bass, but should it ever come to it, all I really "need" is one Precision. I already know which one as well, and luckily for me, I already own it - a 2011 US Standard.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1364237216' post='2023679']
Agree, I may "want" more than one bass, but should it ever come to it, all I really "need" is one Precision. I already know which one as well, and luckily for me, I already own it - a 2011 US Standard.
[/quote] if I had 10p for everytime you've said that or something similar I could go out and buy one new myself! :D

Wall hangers would seem the neatest option, whilst keeping all your basses.

There's the problem of it being a rented flat, but the screw holes that you would make in the wall would be [i]really[/i] easy to remedy when the time comes for the hangers to come down. A dab of Polyfilla, sand smooth when dry, a brush of paint, and no one would ever know that the walls had been adorned with beautiful basses (that's all assuming that it's not wallpaper that's on the walls, of course).

Fist of all congratulations.

Not knowing how big you amp/cab is, why not knock up or convert a cupboard to pit it in? if it's not too tall you could put ornaments /picture etc on top so it doesn't look out of place? a bit more wife friendly.