Why become a member? ×

Jens Ritter basses...

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363552714' post='2014084']

Only to those who find this kind of thing 'nice looking'. Otherwise, the reverse is true. My personal view is that nothing built since 1957 is particularly good looking next to a P-bass. There's just no apparent form-follows-function, no matter the design intent. They just do not work for my eye. If you like 'em, etc etc, great, but don't go saying how BAD Fenders are because of it. Most of these won't be around in fifty years, and Fender will have knocked up its centenary. THAT'S class. Staying power due to pure excellence of original design. No other basses have this, and it's likely that few of us will live to see that change. Big claim? Sure. But probably valid.
[/quote]

I was trapped in a room with a '58 Fender recently and was physically sick, full-on projectile vomiting.

I must ensure I never venture near to any instrument produced beyond 1957 ever again. . .

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1363557090' post='2014162']
Designed as a 'starter bass' this was exactly the kind of thing to stop new young players from ever venturing back to bass playing :(
[/quote]

Why do people think that kids only deserve crappily-made stuff, 'in case it's a five-minute wonder'? Self fulfilling, really.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363557282' post='2014167']

Why do people think that kids only deserve crappily-made stuff, 'in case it's a five-minute wonder'? Self fulfilling, really.
[/quote]

Could just be that a got a 'Friday afternoon' bass but I'd been chatting to a young girl earlier the same day who had reached a point where she was either going to carry on with bass lessons (on a pretty nasty bass) or continue with ice skating lessons.

Guess which one shed already chosen. . .

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362618554' post='2002406']
I was about to launch into my usual anti-Ritter routine until I saw this...

Not sure I'd want to own it (even if I could afford it), but you've got to admit it's original! :D
[/quote]

I dunno mate...

That Ibanez costs less than £200 as well :lol:

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363552714' post='2014084']
Only to those who find this kind of thing 'nice looking'. Otherwise, the reverse is true. My personal view is that nothing built since 1957 is particularly good looking next to a P-bass. There's just no apparent form-follows-function, no matter the design intent. They just do not work for my eye. If you like 'em, etc etc, great, but don't go saying how BAD Fenders are because of it. Most of these won't be around in fifty years, and Fender will have knocked up its centenary. THAT'S class. Staying power due to pure excellence of original design. No other basses have this, and it's likely that few of us will live to see that change. Big claim? Sure. But probably valid.
[/quote]

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder I think. Fender is certainly iconic, but being iconic doesn't necessarily imbue greatness. Plenty of examples out there of icons that are not best in class but survive none the less.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363557282' post='2014167']

[/quote]
Never understood this. However, every Mexican Fender (and pretty much every Squier) I've laid hands on has been at least acceptable. As described above, it should never have reached a shop wall.
All the MIM Fenders, or parts of them, that I have had, have been entirely to standard.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1363594568' post='2014367']

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder I think. Fender is certainly iconic, but being iconic doesn't necessarily imbue greatness. Plenty of examples out there of icons that are not best in class but survive none the less.
[/quote]

Certainly true.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1363596323' post='2014380']
Never understood this. However, every Mexican Fender (and pretty much every Squier) I've laid hands on has been at least acceptable. As described above, it should never have reached a shop wall.
All the MIM Fenders, or parts of them, that I have had, have been entirely to standard.
[/quote]

Up to standard, yes they're almost all fine. I love mine but... there is still an entire world of difference between my ACG and my MIM P bass. Not just in sound but in playability. I would expect a Ritter bass to be at least as good as my ACG but with the "prestige" of being a Ritter.

To be honest I think a lot of what you are paying for with a Ritter is the looks of them, the man as an absolute master of finishing and I don't think anyone could really dispute that!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363600441' post='2014424']

Plus, you'd feel like a gay pixie on acid if you actually gigged with one. :D
[/quote]

In that case I personally know 4 gay pixies - I must ask them about their acid supplier. I hadn't realised it was so plentiful!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1363601236' post='2014435']
In that case I personally know 4 gay pixies - I must ask them about their acid supplier. I hadn't realised it was so plentiful!
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] Apologies... I should have said, '[b]I [/b]would feel like a gay pixie on acid if [b]I[/b] actually gigged with one'.[/size]
[size=4]Which would probably be very entertaining for all concerned, come to think of it.[/size]

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1363594568' post='2014367']
[/quote]

Funnily enough I was at a gig not that long ago and someone was playing what looked like a 51 Relic Precision. Two guys standing behind me caught my interest when one of them when I heard one of them say "you know, people always say Leo got it right first time - well he didn't when it came to basses! What an ugly brute that guy is playing, hideous scratchplate and just about the ugliest headstock of all time!"

I have to admit that when I took a good look at the bass I could see what he was saying. The early P bass headstocks just look 'wrong' to me somehow. They work on a small bodied design like a Telecaster guitar but look out of proportion on a bass. Absolutely agree on the pickguard too, again it just looks 'wrong' on any bass to me :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1363603135' post='2014466']
The early P bass headstocks just look 'wrong' to me somehow. They work on a small bodied design like a Telecaster guitar but look out of proportion on a bass. Absolutely agree on the pickguard too, again it just looks 'wrong' on any bass to me :(
[/quote]

Have to disagree with you there! ...But then if we all liked the same thing we'd be knee-deep in gay pixies... ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363603944' post='2014489']
Have to disagree with you there! ...But then if we all liked the same thing we'd be knee-deep in gay pixies... ;)
[/quote]

I want to be at that gig :D

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1363624525' post='2014913']Or Fenders :)[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]That's already happened! [/size] ;)

[size=4][quote name='ead' timestamp='1363646013' post='2015375']I want to be at that gig [/size] :D[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Me too! I've got my outfit ready - can anyone loan me a Ritter for the night (not a euphemism).[/size]

Edited by discreet

I've been trying to stay out of this thread for ages as I have BAD GAS for a Ritter. Just looking at them makes me go :gas:

The first one that did it to me was this one...

I just love the wood & silver leaf. It feels at home with me visually (if you know what I mean).

Then I saw this, which just screams :gas:

Visually, I love everything about this bass. The wood of the body, the manky looking fretboard, the bridge. It just does it for me.

Then there's the Royals. This makes me go Oooohhhh :gas:

But at @ £10k, I don't ever forseeing me owning one of those.

So I'll be sticking with my manky old ibby!

Ritter basses sure are swell. But I'd never get one because my playing ability would never do one justice! To me these lie in the 'super technical session bassist' zone.

However, that 'Princess Isabella' guitar is the most beautiful instrument I've ever seen. It's what I'd picture someone playing in the year 3000 (not much has changed but we live under water). It's retro looking too. It's just sexual.

[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/AF8A397B-7A21-4A86-9936-17F7A8FE1B31-3615-000005A491573F71_zpsb4a8d1b3.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by ChickenKiev