Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

The original and still the best in my opinion.
I wouldnt play anything else, it can be a copy, the real deal, i just dont care as long as its a precision style bass, i own a precision copy and a mex fender precision.
Theres just something about them that i love.

Wouldn't say its the best bass by a long way, but I think I know what you mean. You know exactly what you're gonna get when you pick up a P. (Unless it's a really bad copy - £50 with practice amp and strap thrown in... I don't think so). Have tried quite a few basses over the years and still prefer to use the Squire as the main plank. Admitedly I've not played anything worth more than £600, so It's not an informed opinion. In all genres there seems to be bassists using P's so I guess it's versatile, but i'd think of it more as the Mondeo of the world of basses. Does what it says on the tin, but i'd rather have a Ferrari.

For longevity, popularity and numbers sold..... It is undoubtedly the best.....

Tonally, looks, tech spec, and versatility...... then others are at least as good and probably better....

HOWEVER ....

Watch any music programme and or video, and you'll see P basses....

'nuff said! :)

I wouldn't say that whatever your vibe the P will fit the bill, but they are remarkably versatile for a single pickup bass and are capable of far more than just 'thump'.

If I could only choose a single bass to use for the rest of my playing career, it'd probably be a precision...

Years ago I had a brief conversation with Mark Plunkett, who used to play for the late Little Angels. They played at a club owned by a mate of mine before they were doing a Wembley show supporting Van Halen.

I asked why, when he had a rack of Spectors et al, he favoured an old Precision. He just said, 'a million people can't be wrong, can they?'. I don't know if his numbers were that accurate (but his estimate must be on low side), but if it was a rubbish bass, Fender would have stopped making it years ago.

I do love mine (even if the E is very boomy), but it's nearly time to retire it. Soon. Soon.

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

Overall, there's simply no competition. 90% of everything you'll ever need in a bass is there, regardless of what you do. For me and many others, there's 110% of what you need.
Basically, in 1951, Leo got it 98% correct, right out of the box. With the changes in 1957, in as far as it's possible, he hit perfection. No other bass approaches it for completeness of ability to do the job. The only downside is that the P fretless should never have been...the Jazz should always have been the smooth one. That said, I loved my fretless P when I had it!

P-basses are very 'Ronseal',ie it does what it says on the tin.
I don't own one but have a p style Yamaha that works well for me.
Old Leo got it so right,which is one hell of an achievement for a guy who could'nt play any instruments!

I have just recently bought a P5 deluxe, the last Precision i owned was in 1976,so there have been many expensive basses inbetween :)
What i like about the Precision, for me anyway,its a no nonsense sound,plug in and play without to much twiddling,which i almost always tend to do.
Also the low B is very pleasing on this one,unlike some other makes at twice the price!!

Edited by bassmanady

Love my P bass. 2nd bass I owned was a JV series P (1982 bought new) kept it for a couple of years and moved onto Jazzes/Rays/Warwicks etc til buying a MIA P bass last year. Don't think I'd be without it now but I wouldn't want it to be my only bass :)

I haven't used one in years, used to have a 78 (I think) can't fault a P bass, great sound! If I was going to GAS out on one it would have to be a Tony Franklin or a 57 Reissue (or a vintage 57 :) )...lovely necks on those.

Mmmmm:

[url="http://www.wata.com/Htmls/pb57.html"]http://www.wata.com/Htmls/pb57.html[/url]

Never really got on with Fender basses at all. Every time I've tried one it just hasn't seem to to deliver what I was looking for at the time.

Not the right sound, not the right look - for many here that might seem like a trivial thing but for me looks are of equal importance to sound and playability. Fenders and P-Basses in particular are just too mainstream for me - I'm looking for just that little bit extra.

For a lot of what I do the top end access isn't easy enough and for some reason on me they hang in such a way to make the first fret a bit of a stretch - I have no idea why this is, for a long time my main bass was a monstrous sized Overwater 36" scale, but that was never as awkward to reach to first fret as the Fenders were.

Plus in the late 70s when I was helping out in my local musical instrument shop they had just started stocking quality instruments instead of Columbus and Grant copies. Compared with the wonderful Ibanez and Aria instruments we were unpacking, at least 3/4 of the Fenders had serious quality control problems, not to mention finishes that just looked disgusting (sh*t brown and a nasty see-through white that looked as though the sprayers hadn't put enough colour coats on the instruments and usually revealed seriously ugly wood grain).

Fender basses - not for me.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='206168' date='May 25 2008, 08:56 PM']Never really got on with Fender basses at all. Every time I've tried one it just hasn't seem to to deliver what I was looking for at the time.

Not the right sound, not the right look - for many here that might seem like a trivial thing but for me looks are of equal importance to sound and playability. Fenders and P-Basses in particular are just too mainstream for me - I'm looking for just that little bit extra.

For a lot of what I do the top end access isn't easy enough and for some reason on me they hang in such a way to make the first fret a bit of a stretch - I have no idea why this is, for a long time my main bass was a monstrous sized Overwater 36" scale, but that was never as awkward to reach to first fret as the Fenders were.

Plus in the late 70s when I was helping out in my local musical instrument shop they had just started stocking quality instruments instead of Columbus and Grant copies. Compared with the wonderful Ibanez and Aria instruments we were unpacking, at least 3/4 of the Fenders had serious quality control problems, not to mention finishes that just looked disgusting (sh*t brown and a nasty see-through white that looked as though the sprayers hadn't put enough colour coats on the instruments and usually revealed seriously ugly wood grain).

Fender basses - not for me.[/quote]

Hi BigredX...so what you using at the mo :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='205843' date='May 25 2008, 09:31 AM']I'm starting to think a little in the same way. Will be ordering a new 2008 American Standard this summer (when I get my bonus!!!) I've had plenty of jazzes & none have really fitted into my collection, so time to try a precision now :)[/quote]
I played jazzes for years only because I never had a P-Bass. Now I have one, me and my band mates agree, it beats jazzes and Stingrays head over heals. Phat phat phat. I still love the versitility of the jazz and Stingray, but the way a P sits in the mix. Joy.

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='206190' date='May 25 2008, 09:26 PM']Each to his own etc..

But I totally agree with the last bit regarding quality.[/quote]

And the bit about top fret access.

Oh well, it's all about the bottom end anyway. :)

Guest MoJo

[quote name='birdy' post='205849' date='May 25 2008, 09:53 AM']My opinion of P basses is that they sound MUCH better in a band situation (live or recording) than they do when played solo. Theres something about them that really cuts through.[/quote]

Agree whole heartedly. On it's own a P can sound a little uninspiring but when it comes to driving a rhythm section, few will better it.